Home

Configuring your firewall or router for internet play

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

STAR WARS: GALACTIC BATTLEGROUNDS

Technical Reference Guide - Details

Configuring your firewall or router for Internet play

Firewall software is designed to prevent hostile action from outside your computer or network from affecting files on your hard drive. Internet gaming activity can seem like such action to this type of software. You may encounter problems trying to connect to a multiplayer game if your computer is behind a firewall. Please refer to your firewall documentation for suggestions on how to allow specific programs to operate through it if you do not intend to temporarily take it down, or ask your network/system administrator for assistance.

In addition, many routers designed to share one Internet connection among more than one computer have firewalls built into them. Most routers require specific Internet ports to be opened before multiplayer games will function correctly. Please consult your router manufacturer's manual for information on how to set these ports. The following information on the specific ports required to play multiplayer DirectPlay games, such as Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, can also be found at http://support.microsoft.com:

DIRECTX: PORTS REQUIRED TO PLAY ON A NETWORK (Q240429)

This article describes the ports required to play Microsoft DirectX multiplayer games through a firewall, a proxy server, Network Address Translation (NAT), or Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

To verify that these ports are open or to open these ports, please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

If you are the administrator of the network please consult the documentation provided with your networking software to determine the steps to open these ports.

To play DirectX games through a network firewall or proxy server, the following requirements must be met:

To ensure DirectPlay compatibility, the latest version of DirectX should be installed on the computers used by all players who participate in the game. The latest version of DirectX is available at http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp.

The following TCP and UDP ports must be open on the firewall or proxy server:

Using DirectX 8:

Connection Ports for Client Configuration Ports for Host Configuration

------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------------

Initial TCP Connection 6073 Outbound 6073 Inbound

Subsequent UDP Inbound 2300-2400 2300-2400

Subsequent UDP Outbound 2300-2400 2300-2400

For additional information about how to configure firewall or proxy server support for DirectPlay games, please see the "Firewall Support in DirectPlay" topic in the DirectX 7.0 SDK Help file.

ZONE: NETWORK PORTS REQUIRED TO PLAY (Q159031)

This article describes the ports required to chat or connect to game rooms or lobbies on Zone.com through a firewall, proxy server, Network Address Translation (NAT), or Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

To chat or connect to game rooms or lobbies on Zone.com, the following requirements must be met:

Your network administrator must configure the network to allow the Zone to pass information through the network.

The following TCP ports must be open:

28800-29000

If your network requires that you open these ports based on IP address, you can determine the class C address range used by the Zone by opening a command prompt window and running the following command:

ping zone.msn.com

To verify that these ports are open, please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). If you are the administrator of the network, please consult the documentation for your network software for information about how to open these ports.

© Lucasarts.

DMUK

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

In case someone has a problem with his/her router to play online games on the Internet, just got to this website:

http://www.portforward.com/

Choose the link "Forwarding". First you have to choose your router in the very complete list and after that, depending on your type you get the general settings or you can even choose to see the settings for a specific game. All is explained very good with many screenshots.

I'ts kinda following a wizard.

Hope this helps

Greetz

• 1 year later...

(I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, 1000 apologies).

I can't seem to be able to connect using the Multiplayer feature of Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Campaigns. I used it once a long time ago, when MSN Messenger had the feature of allowing instant on-line connection with certain games. In that time I also had Win98 and not XP like now. The game runs fine in my system, but when I try to be host, my friend says he will input my IP on the host entry place and that instead of a game in the game list menu, it will appear an empty bar, like highlighting a "ghost game". He tries putting JOIN, but it never works. We tried the reverse, but the result is exactly the same. I have tried completely dissconecting the WinXP firewall, and both my Avira Antivirus and Spybot resident.... Same result. Can someone give me a hand with this, please?

Archived