Home

Paintball questions

Praetorian

I know a few of you are into paintball and I think at least one of you lives in Florida. So, my FL related question first, then my non-FL question.

I found a place in Tampa called Orbital Paintball (formally known as Weekend Warriors). I was wondering if you guys had played there before. It looks quite nice and had good reviews at PBReviews. If not, what fields do you play at in FL.

Now, I'm also looking into a new gun. I'm looking at the Spyder XTRA. Have you guys used this before? I read some reviews and it sounds good. I wish they still had it in the green color, but now I can only find it in blue. I also read reviews for it on PBReview, and one guy said the blue color didn't really give him away on wooded fields, so maybe it's not that bad of a problem.

Also recommend any other guns at about the same price ($90US)

Well, to answer your second question, you sould try a timpman 98, on xpaintball.com you can get a package for just over $120.00 it's a really great gun. But after you've played for a while and have enough money get a tipman A-5.

For the first Q, I haven't played there because I live in OR, But here is a list of fields in Florida:

Orlando Paintball

Apopka, FL

Arden Forest CQB

Boynton Beach, FL

Hi-Tec Paintball Park, Inc.

Bradenton, FL

Hit the Spot Paintball

DeLand, FL

Xtreme Assault

East Orlando, FL

Paintball Pro Shop & Field

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Extreme Rage Park

Ft. Myers, FL

Karma & Company Paintball Park

Ft. Pierce, FL

Rocky Creek Paintball

Gainesville, FL

Paintball Brothers

Jacksonville, FL

All American Paintball Games

Jacksonville, FL

Osceola Extreme Sports

Kissimmee, FL

FL Paintball Center

Largo, FL

Tropical Fun Center

Miami, FL

SprayPaint Paintball

Miami, FL

ThunderBay Paintball

Oldsmar, FL

Ruff & Tuff Sports

Opa Locka, FL

Panhandle Paintball

Panama City, FL

American Paint Ball

Pinnelis Park, FL

Strikeforce Paintball

Redlands, FL

Showdown Paintball Club

Springhill, FL

Weekend Warriors Paintball

Club, LLC

Tampa, FL

Jungle Games Paintball Battlefield

Tampa, FL

SpaceCoast Paintball

Titusville, FL

Hosers And Sniper Paintball

Trilby, FL

Bullseye Paintball + Adventure Ranch

Venice, FL

Mike's Paintball

West Palm, FL

And for your second question; from what I can tell, the Spyer Xtra is a pretty good gun. But in the old Tippman vs. Spyder argument, it all comes down to preference. Tippmans are EXTREMELY durable, they can be harder to field-strip and clean, and Spyders aren't QUITE as durable but are easy to clean and field-strip. But if you're gonna go Spyder, Esprit's are a good idea, being electric and only about $10.00 more that the Extra. Another thing you might want to consider is what kind of playing you'll do mostly. In general Tippmans are better for woodsball and Spyders are better for speedball. Then again, if you want to raise your price range a little the Spyder E-99 is a good choice, being the electro version of the Xtra.

Well, I don't really plan to travel that far to play paintball. Tampa is my limit. I'm going tommorow to check out Orbital Paintball (you listed Weekend Warriors in your list...it's now called Orbital Paintball as of this month).

As for the gun, I prefer woods, but we usually vote on what field to play and speedball wins.:( I'm tall (6'4") so speedball is alot harder to hide behind small bunkers, but I can disapear in the woods and servive alot longer. I like the easiness of cleaning for the spyders. But what makes tippman better for woods?

I looked at the Espirt...no thanks, electro isn't that important to me, and I'd rather have the expansion chamber, fore-grip, drop forward, and LP chamber the XTRA has. As for the E-99, too expensive.

I read alot of people saying the liked the XTRA over the Tippman 98. Plus, the 98 is too expensive.

Another question...what do you guys use to clean the holes in your barrel?

The Flatline barrel sounds cool, but the cost is huge. $94

How is the stock barrel on the M98. Do I really need to upgrade, or will the stock work ok? I found quite a few barrels for $30-40 that look decent. I'd rather not spend more if I don't have to, though.

The spyder keeps looking better, cause if I get the tippmann, I also want to get the exp. chamber for it and that's extra $.

Originally posted by Praetorian

The Flatline barrel sounds cool, but the cost is huge. $94

How is the stock barrel on the M98. Do I really need to upgrade, or will the stock work ok? I found quite a few barrels for $30-40 that look decent. I'd rather not spend more if I don't have to, though.

The spyder keeps looking better, cause if I get the tippmann, I also want to get the exp. chamber for it and that's extra $.

First and foremost, the Tippman M98 Custom is, without a doubt, the best all-round use, most durable, easily modified and versatile paint marker for under $150. When shopping for an inexpensive marker that can compete with the big boys, Angels and Autocockers, it really is a no brainer, M98 custom all the way!

Secondly, the Flatline barrel system is not worth the money, IMHO. Yes, you will get the distance, but at what cost? You accuracy drops ten fold. Why? Because the spin generated by the Flatline Barrel system, designed to give the ball better distance also tends to cause the ball to float at those extreme distances, causing the paint ball to slow down and knuckle. It's good for supressive fire at long distances, but don't plan on being nominated for the "Most Accurate Sniper Award" this year.

Thirdly, The M98 is designed to forego the Expansion chamber. It is really just overkill. The M98 functions very consistent and efficient right out of the box.

And as far as stock barrels go, the Tippman M98 Custom has, arguably, the best grouping and accuracy for any stock barrel on any paint marker under $300. Of course, having said that, I have purchased an after market barrel for my Tippy 98. I'm using a Smart Parts Progressive Barrel. It's a real nice barrel for a really great price. A best "bang for your buck" kinda thing. However, if you can afford it, either a Smart Parts All-American or DYE Boomstick would be my recommendation.

Praetorian, I can't stress enough, that the Tippman is really the way to go for you. I'm speaking from experience. I have literally shelved my impulse and went back to my Tippy. Why? Because the Tipp is so durable, accurate, consisitent and affordable and easy to upgrade, that's why! It's everything you could want in a Paint Marker for an amazing price!

I hope my advice is not to biased or "pushy" for you, but I'm speaking from about ten years of Paintball experience, and more importantly, that's ten years of paintballing "on a budget" kind of experience. ;)

Wow!

Thanks Havoc. If I didn't know better, I'd say you work for Tippmann Pneumatics.:D:p

After that, I'll focus on the m98 custom a bit more. I'll take a look at the barrels. Most of all, thanks to letting me know about the exp. chamb. Knowing I don't really need one makes me more likely to by it. I especially want the durability...If I get it dirty I don't want to have to worry about it. Plus, I like woods play a lot.

EDIT: Also, how long have you had your M98 Custom, Havoc?

Wow!

Thanks Havoc. If I didn't know better, I'd say you work for Tippmann Pneumatics.:D:p

After that, I'll focus on the m98 custom a bit more. I'll take a look at the barrels. Most of all, thanks to letting me know about the exp. chamb. Knowing I don't really need one makes me more likely to by it. I especially want the durability...If I get it dirty I don't want to have to worry about it. Plus, I like woods play a lot.

EDIT: Also, how long have you had your M98 Custom, Havoc?

I originally owned the regular M98, about 5 years ago. Then, after 3 years I sold it and bought an Impulse. Than about a year after that, I decided to shelve my impulse and went back to my first love and purchased the newer M98 Custom and have been happy ever since. Also, just to let you know. I started out with a brass eagle, pump action, marker. So, I've come along way! :D

I thought of 2 more questions. What else do you recommend I buy with the M98 Custom. I saw something about a basic parts kit.

Also, I looked at the smart-parts progressive barrel. Looks good, I'll probably get it.

EDIT: Oops, forgot my 2nd question. What do you use to clean the holes in your barrel?

I thought of 2 more questions. What else do you recommend I buy with the M98 Custom. I saw something about a basic parts kit.

Also, I looked at the smart-parts progressive barrel. Looks good, I'll probably get it.

EDIT: Oops, forgot my 2nd question. What do you use to clean the holes in your barrel?

Well, the M98 Custom comes with two extra o-rings, all the allen wrenches you will need, a field manual, Gun oil, barrel plug and most importantly, a 200 round hopper. The basic parts kit is extra screws, extra o-rings etc. It's nice to have, but probably just being paranoid. ;)

If anything, buy the the M98 thumbscrew kit. It will save you alot of time when you go to field strip your tippy. Everything else is strictly personal taste. It will come to you as you play. Some people like a drop forward, some don't. Some may like a double trigger, others may not. I'll leave the rest up to you. You''ll learn what looks and feels good for you and your particular style of play.

Yes, like I said, the Smart Parts Progressive barrel really is a nice buy. I personally went with a 14" Progressive barrel. Here is some advice on barrel length, whatever the brand and model the barrel is:

The longer the barrel, typically the better the accuracy you'll get. That being said, anything over 14" is really overkill and will actually start to slow your paint balls down, forcing you to turn up your velocity and therefore eat up your C02 faster. You should notice the best performance, both in accuracy and efficiency at about 12"-14". The choice from there is wether you want more mobility or a little edge in accuracy. Those who play speed ball or indoor venues, or "frontmen" would probably opt for the shorter 12" barrels. If Woods ball is your thing or if you are a "backplayer" you would probably lean towards the 14" barrels. Again, it's all up to personal choice. Just don't spend $30-$100 bucks on an 10" barrel, because you really won't notice much improvement in performance, just maybe a little quieter gun operation from improved porting in the barrel. Likewise, don't buy a 16"-20" barrel and wacth your C02 disappear before you empty your first hopper full of paint. Hope that helps.

Oh, and just FYI, the "Holes-in-your-barrel" are called porting. And you can use a barrel squeegee to do most of the work A pipe cleaner will do nicely as well. Me, personally, I just take the barrel off and hose her down and than squeegee it out. That cleans the porting right out! :D

Originally posted by Silenthunter

Yeah, Progressives are nice, but if I were you I would save up the 5-10 more bucks and get a Smart Parts Teardrop. (which are possibly the best low price-range barrels, although thats MO ;))

The Progresive and Tear Drop are identical, with the exception of the Tear Drop's porting channels, which make it a little quieter than the Progressive, but the accuracy and performance are identical. I was just giving him the most cost effective way to shoot great. ;)

And if you could afford the extra $10 - $15 for the tear drop, you could afford the extra $10 - $15 for the All American and do it right! :D

hmm...I have a couple of sites I've order through in the past that I can get free shipping with my order of over $100. So if I order my tippmann there I can get free shipping. The problem is that neither carries the 14" version of the progressive. Do you guys know any good websites?

Thanks for the list. I had already visited xpaintball.com but I thought they didn't have any free shipping. I just found a coupon code they have for free shipping, so I'll order the gun and barrel from them. I'm also thinking of getting a new mask. I have a brass eagle mask. I want a mask w/ a thermal lens and good ventilation, cause I wear glasses, and when I play now, both the mask lense and my glass fog. What a pain!

EDIT: I've read that PMI x-ray googles w/ thermal lenses are pretty good. Any of you guys used them?

Thanks for the list. I had already visited xpaintball.com but I thought they didn't have any free shipping. I just found a coupon code they have for free shipping, so I'll order the gun and barrel from them. I'm also thinking of getting a new mask. I have a brass eagle mask. I want a mask w/ a thermal lens and good ventilation, cause I wear glasses, and when I play now, both the mask lense and my glass fog. What a pain!

EDIT: I've read that PMI x-ray googles w/ thermal lenses are pretty good. Any of you guys used them?

As far as replacing your Brass Eagle Mask... ABSOLUTELY, and you can't be too quick about it! Brass Eagle mask/goggles have been known to be almost "Sub-standard" when it comes to taking a hit. The goggles could crack and shatter, more so than most any other masks. When it comes to safety, you can't be too careful!

Secondly, have you tried anti-fog spray treatments/cleaners on your glasses and mask both? It should help, but I know that the Brass Eagle masks are not well ventilated, so it may be more of that than enything else.

I personally use the PMI X-Ray goggles and love it! I don't have fogging problems at all. Of course I treat my lenses with anti-fog spray three to five times a day before I head out on the course! ;) But to answer your question, I have used teh PMI x-ray goggles and I would recommend them!

I ordered myself a tippmann model 98 custom today!

I got the black one. I also got the 14" smart parts progressive barrel, the PMI X-Ray thermal googles, and a PMI marker bag. (I don't think I'll need the carrying case after all I've heard about the toughness of the m98, but I want to protect this investment for MANY years to come.)

I also grabbed a new barrel sock, cause I'm gonna sell my old one with my old gun.

So, that said...If anyone wants to buy a used, peace of junk, "the only gun I can beat is a rental", paint-chopping, bolt-sticking Brass Eagle Eradicator let me know. It's dirt cheap. I think that's it only good point.;)

I'll be playing pb on the 21st so I'll get to put my new tippmann into action right away. I'm going with a big group, and were getting our own field to play on! Well, rotate fields to let the normal Saturday attendies play on all the fields, too.

A friend of mine came up w/ a game that were going to play. If your familiar w/ Armagedon, it's kind of like that. He calls it The Fellowship (from LOTR). Nine people have a ring (or other object), that they have to get from point A to point B, with everyone else trying to stop them. The bad news is that I have 99% change I'll get choosen to be in the Fellowship. I guess that's what happens when you get a new marker and 95% of the other guys are newbs or have played only once before (I admit, I've only gone a few times myself, but I still have more experience than most of the other guys). I'm hoping we play it in woods, cause speedball is so open. I like being sneaky.

"I am very very sneaky." (that was a great movie)

I should find out soon when my new tippy comes in. I'll test fire then, and let you know how it goes.

I have a problem.

I'm ordering paintballs for a large group of friends because we're going paintballing soon. I need to find a place that has good paint for about $35US a case and free shipping. I've looked through site after site and can't find much. I found Great American paintballs (kinda small) and Nelson Hot spot paintballs (kinda big) for this price at http://www.paintballgear.com

Anyone know these brands at all. I've read alot about them on http://www.pbreview.com and they both have there faults but both look ok.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to find PMI Big ball for a good price, but no luck.

EDIT: The price is flexable I guess. It can go up to $39US/case.

I went and visited the field today. It looks REALLY nice, and the guy incharge was very helpful. (the website is www.orbitalpb.com )

I'm doing the planning for a large group from church to go their. I was very pleased.

The best part is that I got a great deal on the PMI Big Ball from him. I doubt I should really announce the price, but let's just say I never dreamed I could get it that low!:D :D :D :D :D That will help keep cost down for the event, so more people will come.

Also, guess what comes in Tuesday...MY TIPPMANN 98 CUSTOM W/ SMART PARTS BARREL AND PMI X-RAY MASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (if you didn't notice, I'm excited) I'm not tell my friends...I'm just going to show up with it when I go pbing in a couple of weeks. I've already planned it so I can be against one of my friends who will make a big deal out of it and complain. That way he can be my first target.:evil2:

Do you guys recommend I clean the gun as soon as I get it, or can I just go test it out right away then clean it?

EDIT: Havoc, the only reason I'm looking for lower end paint is to keep cost down for the church event. Personally, I'm bring some marbs with me. Without a doubt, premium paint rules!:D

Archived