Home

56k, yes i know uve been asked before

Airbalt3

I am getting a new computer that will be able to run SWG soon, however DSL won't be availiable in my area for a bit, so is it worth getting the game now and just playing on the dial up modem? I've tried playing Medal of Honor online and the lag is unbearable.

Thanks

Yep, concur with Reaper on this one.

There is remarkably little data being transferred between you and the SWG server. Nowhere near enough data, in fact, to absolutely require a broadband connection.

Nothing more than an educated guess, but I would say that all that is being transferred between you and the server (primarily) is positional data in your sphere of influence. That and some other odds and ends.

Originally posted by Airbalt3

I am getting a new computer that will be able to run SWG soon, however DSL won't be availiable in my area for a bit, so is it worth getting the game now and just playing on the dial up modem? I've tried playing Medal of Honor online and the lag is unbearable.

Thanks

As a 56k-er (and having poor phonelines physically), I can offer you my opinion as to SWG on dial-up:

The game is definitely laggy in cities, especially when you are near areas where a lot of players tend to congregate, e.g. cantinas, banks, etc. It is a bit laggy as well when you deal/trade/talk with real players. However, the game is just fine outside the towns. Frankly, the lag is tolerable to me though I do have a lot of patience (I suppose that goes for everyone who plays SWG and EQ).

The question really is how well will you cope with the existing bugs and issues that still need to be resolved in the game? SWG is like a cigarette addict who's trying to quit: patches everyday.

Archived