Home

This is CNN. . .

:wirehead:

The Cybertronian News Network.

Remember the G1 Transformers video game that we were all so excited about? Well forget it.

Just found this on TFormers.com.

Contrary to the recent article in Play Station magazine this month, We have been informed by an official at Takara that the Transformers G1 "Tatakai" game being developed by Winkysoft will NOT be released in the USA. According to Takara " We have decided that G1 would not publish in the US, it will be available only in Japan."
(As usual in a case of imported goods, read "USA" as "North America." In this case, it looks like those of us (i.e., Transfans) in the UK will also be out of luck.)

Any possible logic behind this decision is beyond my ability to comprehend. The fandom is currently speculating whether the decision was Takara's (in Japan) or Hasbro's (in the US). Either way, this is at least half the fandom that's just been frozen out in the wasteland. :disaprove

It sounds though like the Armada game from Atari is still coming out here though. Hopefully it'll be better than the show (it'd kinda have to be :roleyess: ).

In other news, it seems that Tom DeSanto (one of the massive throbbing brains behind the potential upcoming Transformers live-action movie) is a fan of the old Marvel comics continuity, according to Superhero Hype

To explain: Transformers G1 spans at least three different continuities. Most of us are probably familiar with the G1 Toon continuity, but the US comics and UK comics are very highly regarded among the fandom, often considered to be superior to the cartoon in most respects. By avowing his preference for the comics, DeSanto has gained an impressive measure of "street cred" among the Transfan community.

While a familiarity with the comics shouldn't be necessary (any more than an in-depth knowledge of the X-Men comics was necessary to enjoy the X-Movies), it does imply that DeSanto knows his stuff, and will be trying to capture the more adult and intellectual aspects of the Transformers mythos, rather than the more human-oriented stories of the cartoon.

This has also triggered speculation that Autobots Ratchet and Grimlock will almost certainly be in the movie (which is sure to omit much of the G1 cast, due to FX Budgetary considerations). Ratchet and Grimlock, though only bit players in the toon, were both central figures in the comic.

Comics-Grimlock was much more intelligent and cunning than his "Grimlock smash!" cartoon persona. His utter lack of faith in Optimus' abilities mark him almost as an Autobot counterpart to Starscream.

Comics-Ratchet was especially badass in the comics, even facing off with (and holding his own against) Megatron himself.

Oh, I like the toys fine (even Hot Shot, who everybody seems to hate). I was talking about the show.

The dubbing stinks, they can't even keep the names straight, most of the time the show should be called Rad, Carlos, Alexis, and their Robot Friends, and I've seen better animation in Canadian cartoons (and believe me, that's saying something).

Heck, I've seen more dynamic fight sequences in DBZ fer Primus' sake.

Where the G1 toon/comics helped sell the toys, it's the Armada toys that are carrying the show.

The Armada comics are really good though --especially the upcoming G1 crossover!!! :D

The game looks quite good as well, being more dynamic and atmospheric, and the Minicons in the game are actually useful (as opposed to the toon, where they just tend to vanish into thin air when not powerlinked).

In fact, here are some game images/renders over at IGN. And Transfandom.com has scans from the OPM article here

Atari just announced that the game will be called Transformers: Armada: Prelude to Energon. Since the next children's line is going to be called Transformers: Energon, this is. . . interesting to say the least. Look how long Hasbro's "no continuing storyline" policy lasted. :roleyess:

Oh, and I saw this yesterday, and it's taken me this long to be able to form coherent sentences:

The next "collectors" line (think of the "Star Wars: Unleashed" figures) will be Transformers: Alternators. It looks like what we've been dreaming of for years now: classic G1 figures redone with modern toy tech. Maybe, this'll be the line that ties into the upcoming movie. . .

Warning: the following pictures are head-explodingly intense. Click at own risk.

You remember Smokescreen?

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/be-j/sin/bat/moto/RIMG0085.JPG

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/be-j/sin/bat/moto/RIMG0084.JPG

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/be-j/sin/bat/moto/RIMG0086.JPG

Aaaaaaand: 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime:

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/be-j/sin/bat/moto/RIMG0087.JPG

Archived