Home

anyone else with a slow connection?

buzzblade1

im not lucky enough to live where there is cable/dsl or even 56k modem, im on at 28k (28000 baud) and was wondering if this game would be playable at that speed. if i have to ill avoid combat and let some of my friends protect me, and exclusivly craft stuff for them (if possible). the screenies look awesome and i'd love to get on the fun. any feedback would be great. thnx

BuzZBladE

sure its worth a try. with 56k connection it is flawless and 28k is really not that much slower. they are both so sloooow anyway. you should hopefully be fine. what kind of computer do you have?

that is so much more important. here is a example my dads pc w/DSL is more shuttery or laggy than my pc w/56K connection because these are the specs.

dads pc: Runs game Laggy if added more RAM im sure it would work Perfect. maybe upgrade video, maybe

1.33 AMD processor

256megs DDR pc 2100 RAM

geforce 2 32meg video card

DSL CONNECTION

My PC: Runs game Perfect

P4 1.8 processor

512mes PC800 RAM

geforce 3 128meg video card

56K connection

not i dont have a 56k modem, i can not connect at 56k. the system requirements say a 900mhz processor will also run it, but you could probably run it on a 600mhz machine (5 fps maybe?)

i have a 1.33 AMD Athlon

1024 ram

gf2mx400 64mb

i think that will be good enough. i run programs that really hammer this machine sometimes and it takes it fine so im not worried about that.

only pc supplies you get at walmart are speakers, sound card, mouse, and a modem maybe...but you wont be able to play that game unless you get a better net connection, your set otherwise

You should try it still. This is no BIG Difference between 28.8 and 56K anyway. Its a FCC rule that your max connection can be at 52k with a 56k modem. I connect at 43.9k - 4.9K usually and no problems at all. so thats only 14K difference and that is small.

look! IT MAY say 56k modem required, but any idiot knows that the really means all low-band modems. Since all low band modems handle the same sized packets there is no major difference except a slight different in speed. Heck, I'm sure you probably could run swg with a 9600 baud modem as long as the server doesn't timeout your connection.

Heck, most 56k people don't get anywhere near 56k. The maximum I ever received on my old 56k was 53k (FCC is 53.3k not 52k). I'm sure at least 50% of 56kers only get 28.8k connections, anyway.

The only reason SOE put 56k modem required on the game box is because 28.8 modems don't really exist now, for the most part. All low-band modems are mainly 56k.

Where DID common sense go?

Archived