Home

Tech Help

DarthMuffin

I've got some kinda bug on my other computer, and I wonder if anyone could help *cough* Sherack *cough*

When I turn the cpu on, the screen stays black and judging from the blinking of the lights, the computer's must be looking at the floppy and CD drive.

Also, on the monitor, the on/off light is flashing as if the computer wasn't on.

After randomly poking every single button on the computer itself, I managed to make it start. However, while loading windows, it gave me an error message saying that there's a problem with windows, and that it needs to shut down to prevent damage. It also says to check if you have adequate disk space.

I tried to start in safe mode to check my drives, but there's nothing on the screen, it's not going anywhere.

Tech info : *** STOP=0x0000007e (0xc000001d,0x804eac7e,0xf894e470,0xf894e170) --- it says that in the error message, dunno if it helps

First Question: is your computer old? If it is, then it sounds as if your hard drive doesn't even work anymore (this happened to my first computer.)

If it isn't, it sounds like a massive viral attack on your computer or something or other. I'm not a hardware guy, more a software guy.

It could be anything, not just a viral attack.

What version of Windows do you use? Does this happen everytime you try to turn on the computer? It would help if you could list your specs, too.

It is possible that your hard drive crashed, but when mine did back in september, I did have a display during startup, unlike you. I am suspecting a problem in your BIOS. After pushing the power button on your computer, try pressing the delete key repeatedly and see if it will make you access the BIOS setup.

I'm running on Windows XP pro.

Intel Pentium 4 --- 2 ghz

512 --- RAM

40 g --- hard drive

Radeon 9000 --- Graphic Card

It does happen everytime I turn the computer on.

I managed to start up in safe mode, but it eventually did the same thing (the screen becomes black).

Is there a way to change the BIOS settings from the safe mode?

Originally posted by pbguy1211

shouldnt you be able to get into the BIOS before you even get into safe mode?

Yes. Darth54, you're supposed to be able to access BIOS setup before the computer actually searches for a bootable disk. On most motherboards, you can access it right after the system finishes counting the RAM.

Look in your motherboard's manual if you can't figure it out.

Archived