hardware problem or lag?

Razzle

I'm running SWG on the following hardware:

Athlon XP 2800+

512 MB RAM (333)

Radeon 9700 Pro

Windows XP SP1

Page File Size: 1250 MB

Since I'm from Germany I get a ping of 200-300.

The problem is that the game runs really slow (3-4 fps) in towns once I enable shadows, especiall volumetric. I didn't have that problem before in other games with volumentric shadows (Splinter Cell, Unreal 2) that had bigger hardware requirements.

I have most background programs like virus scanners and firewalls disabled.

Could this also be due to my bad ping? I really wonder what kind of monster system you need to run the game with all settings maxed.:confused:

Sounds like there's something with your system that is lagging up the preformance.

Try downloading the latest drivers for your system. If that doesn't work, try to install another 512mb ram. This game is very memory intensive, and using your harddrive for memory is never a smart move. :)

That's all I can think of.

No no your system is plenty strong enough. However your motherboard could be contributing to this massive slow down. make sure your cooling is good, tweak the system settings, bring down the draw distance some, disable shadows (will greatly add to your fps) Use a lower Resolution, that will help as well. Dont try to run it maxed out, the hardware right now cannot handle the pure mass of things that are happening all at once.

I know its annoying to downsize settings like this but if it is not working good maxed out, dont run it maxed out. Also for your ping, unless your on 56k you need to find a sever closer to where you live, that will drop your ping a ton.

His ping is not what's causing the lag, trust me. :)

I sometimes play with 2500 ping and play very well considering, and have much more frames than 3-4. And I have a poorer computer than he has.

On a good day, I average around the same ping as he do (I'm from Norway) and I play the game just fine.

This is not an FPS game. The ping is not that important as it is in those kinds of games.

The way I see it is, there's something wrong with his computer that's causing this lag.

Like you said, it may be his motherboard.

Actually, high Lat does cause local machine lag. When your packets are slow to receive, the game must slow down to update what as happened so far, this may be seen as you jolting around, a small freeze and then many things move, or simply that you see what you do shortly after you do them. Lower ping makes for a better game play experience. High lat will seem like things are delayed, also referred to as 'lag'. Lag will often times punish a machine by dropping FPs for the time it takes to catch up and shortly after. Depending on your video card and the mem and clock speeds this maybe noticeable, it may not. His machine shouldn't perform that low, he either has his settings way to high (remember no computer we have on the market right now can run this game at 100% settings) or his drivers/hardware conflicts are messing him up.

His machine shouldn't perform that low, he either has his settings way to high (remember no computer we have on the market right now can run this game at 100% settings) or his drivers/hardware conflicts are messing him up.

Exactly my point. :)

Don't get me wrong, you notice that you have 2500 in ping, BUT you can still play the game. You can't say the same thing with an FPS game, that's for sure. :)

Hell, I've even played with 5000 in ping.

You're lucky if your computer doesn't crash if you tried to even connect to a server hosting an FPS game with that kind of ping. :)

No sweat with SWG though. :D

Archived