Home

Major Single-Player Glitch-Help Please!

Aryeh

If I start a single-player game, the game crashes to desktop. I can get through all the steps just fine, but once I reach the actual start of the mission where it begins loading, I crash to desktop with the "program has generated errors" message. I have tried closing all non-essential background processes, defragging, cleaning up my hard-drive, etc. all to no avail.

My specs are:

2.0 GHz P4

512 MB PC2100 RAM

nVidia GeForce4 MX440 (4X AGP)

DirectX 9.0b

My drivers are all current, and I have tried re-installing the demo many times. Any and all help would be very much appreciated. Thank you. :D

Originally posted by Chewie Bakker

My CPU overheats when I play the Jedi Academy demo. :crybaby:

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.

It sounds like you don't have adequate cooling then, but what do you call overheating, the fact the Jedi Academy demo crashes or what?

You should try maybe a better fan and thermal compound since games like this will put a lot of pressure onto the CPU, causing it to run hotter.

For Original poster, try looking at the thread Demo crashing near the top of the Jedi Academy Discussion and see if my suggestions there will aid you and the other with similar problems.

Try this for overheating:

Take the sides off of your pc tower, and get a big box fan (make sure it's secure and not vibrating the case or anything) and put it close to the case so it's blowing inside on all the components.

You can install some new cooling fans (they are fairly cheap) in the long run (although the box fan should provide at least as much if not more cooling than those... only thing is that it can be loud, but it all depends on the fans used).

(It'd still probably be a good idea to put the sides back on if you're going to move it around or go on vacation or something though.)

Thanks for the help, Andy867 and Kurgan. I really appreciate it. :)

Still, it seems as though the overheating was a one-off. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Upgrading to DirectX 9.0b and upgrading my video card drivers seems to have done the trick. :animelol:

Fingers crossed... ;)

:gben:The Force will be with you, always.

Originally posted by Andy867

the AOL download seems to be causing some problems, although you could try messing with the video options.. What do you have teh details set at?

I downloaded from Fileplanet. As for the video options, I had them at custom settings, but then tried it at fastest when it wouldn't load. Still no luck. I guess I'll just try that console trick you posted in the other thread.

Oh, and thanks for the help. :D

Don't worry, the two number 1 questions people ask on here are how to take screenshots and how to bring down the console (they asked that in JK2 as well).

Do it just like you would in Quake3 (tilde), but you have to hold Shift first.

So shift ~

And screenshots are

bind <key> screenshot

; )

Archived