Home

New Stormtroopers? *Spoilers*

MMP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I just checked with Andy and according to him and his Raven contacts we *know* that Gamespot, PC Gamer, Computer Games Magazine, Computer Gaming World, Avault, IGN and GameSpy are legit (and other major print magazines and major games sites).

So far the only beta/warez one is the Gamespond/Game Arena source that we had posted before we realized the problem.

some notes: the concussion rifle appears to do absolutely NO damage to NPCs wielding it. case in point: start the chandrila mission and with the first two mercs, stand right in front of the one with the concussion rifle. he will blast you till tomorrow noon and not get hurt, im pretty sure. therefore, they wont have to singularly use the secondary rail-blast indoors. and honestly, i havent had any of the mercs use the secondary fire on me yet.

next, the .npc files in the JA demo shows that

regular HTs hold the repeater, then there is a version with the concussion rifle, and the HT Officer has a flechette launcher. so, every HT encountered in the game will not have a concussion rifle.

The fact that the Merc's don't take splash damage from their own shots is kinda goofy (obviously game logic vs. real logic) because if you shoot THEM the plash damage will hurt them for real.

Either the splash damage shouldn't hurt them at all, or it should always hurt them whether they are pulling the trigger or getting shot at.

But oh well... a minor quibble.

Originally posted by MMP

Look here.

These look like Zero-G Stormtroopers, does anyone know for sure?

Well, here is what Zero-G Troopers looked like in X-WING Alliance:

XWA Screen Shot

Scematic Skecth

And here's what Dark Troopers looked like in Dark Forces:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

I'm pretty sure that stages one and two were droids and that three was a suit.

Here's a 1999 Dark Trooper Action Figure

And here's an Action Figure of Timothy Zahn's Space Trooper

Anyway, the Jedi Academy screen shot doesn't really look like any of these to me. If it's related at all I'd say it's some variant of the Dark Trooper, but I think this is something new.

Originally posted by Avitor

Anyway, the Jedi Academy screen shot doesn't really look like any of these to me. If it's related at all I'd say it's some variant of the Dark Trooper, but I think this is something new.

After seeing each one, I must disagree, after looking at the JA screenshot from Gamespot and seeing the 1999 Dark Trooper, I must say those are the closest to looking identical.. similar Helmet and shoulder pads and design

It's never revealed exactly what they are in the game, they only serve as enemies now and again. They are robots and they have huge, electro-plasmic type guns that do a helluva lot of damage. They are cool but have nothing to do with the storyline or anything like that

Interesting info there BrodieCadden, but I hope you didn't get that from the warez/beta...

Avitor, thanks for posting those shots!

However, I still think it looks very close to the artists rendering of the Spacetrooper posted in the Star Wars site databank... just add air hoses, change the faceplate texture and tint of the overall suit and you're set.

It may very well be an upgraded version of the SpaceTrooper/ZeroG. Remember this is taking place after the classic trilogy (the time of XWA) and even after the Thrawn Trilogy.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to play the final game (or if it isn't revealed there, get Raven to fill us in!).

Seems pretty obvious to me at least that its NOT a dark trooper. Aside from colouration being way different, the shape and style of the armour is very different too. Dark Troopers are slick in appearance, and the supposed 'hazard trooper' is quite different in that respect, being quite directly machine-like whereas the stage 2 and 3 dark troopers are possibly suit-like, if you ignore their large size.

That said, I'd love to see a return of the dark troopers in singleplayer, in some context. The little in-jokes in mysteries of the sith and JO aren't enough really.

And Avitor, stage 3 was indeed a powered suit, Rom Mohc or however its spelt was inside it as the final boss in Dark Forces.

Archived