Home

Error during customizing .sab files

ASk

Originally posted by ASk

It was just a test of .sab files, where I put 8 as number of blades.

This was the error:

WP_SaberParseParms:

saber dual_6 has illegal number of blades (8)

max: 8

Doesn't make sense, does it.

Actually, it does. Where is it supposed to put the extra blades? Each blade must have an associated tag. If you look at the dual-blade sabers we made, there's a *blade1 tag for the first blade and a *blade2 tag for the second. So if you want 8 blades, you need 8 tags. You can add these fairly easily with something like MilkShape. I'll be releasing a sample mod and tutorial demonstrating all of this relatively soon. Congrats on experimenting already, though!

Originally posted by ASk

Again, I believe you are wrong about it :)

7 blades work fine, as per the docs, since tags are missing it adds them to tag_flash (and leads to some well...disturbing effects - http://www.darklordsofsith.com/ask/shot0000.jpg, judge for yourself)

8 blades produces the error that 8 is bigger than max - 8.

Your link doesn't work. Is this MP or SP you're doing this in?

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

Your link doesn't work. Is this MP or SP you're doing this in?

Nevermind, I found it. Simple off by one typo. Obviously, we never needed to make a saber with 8 blades! The highest I've made is a 6-bladed saber "star". I've fixed it in, but you won't be able to use a full 8 blades until we either release a patch or release the source code.

BTW, you're still going to need tags for those blades if you want it to look like a multi-bladed saber... :)

Well, I thought so personally :)

Now we wait for somebody to make a 6-way hilt with 6 blades, and then set it's type to single saber and load it up in a two-saber configuration.

I am aware that I need tags, I was just fooling around :)

As for the link, it works, but there's an extra comma in it at the end.

Originally posted by ASk

Now we wait for somebody to make a 6-way hilt with 6 blades, and then set it's type to single saber and load it up in a two-saber configuration.

What's wrong with that? When I made my saber star, I used it like a shield with a short saber... :)

Originally posted by ASk

As for the link, it works, but there's an extra comma in it at the end.

Ah, so the comma is why the link doesn't work. Guess I could have noticed that if I'd looked harder... :)

Yeah, kinda looks like a saber phallus.

It looks like the extra blades are coming out of your origin, actually... do they move with the saber?

Originally posted by ASk

No, they do not move when I swing the saber.

According to the docs, they are supposed to come out of tag_flash.

Then again, I am no modeller, I have no idea where that tag is

Weapons usually have a tag_flash, so if you don't have a tag_blade1, it will use tag_flash. But if the weapon doesn't have a tag_flash (like our saber models), then it just gets confused and ends up coming out of the character's origin.

Archived