Home

The Official 'Performance Problems' thread - post them here

luismuziotti

I think this game has a serious problem with its engine, same graphics as Jedi Outcast but the game simply has something wrong, I don't know how to make it run smoothly in my computer, can somebody tell me what can I do to make this piece of **** work as its predecessor?

I need to know what are the options in the game menu that most affect the framerate, I've been told that turning off the dynamic glow help but that didn`t work for me.

I don't know about you, but I am getting the same (within 5 fps) framerates I got in JK2, and I'm only running on a Geforce2 gts (32 mb) and 256 megs of ram on a 1 ghz system.

If you tweak the options properly you should get decent performance similar to JK2.

Run the system analyzer program that came with the install and see if any errors pop up (run all the tests in advanced).

I had to initially "downgrade" My Nvidia drivers to make the game run well.

Also disabling the following options in display setup (in game) may help you:

-Turn OFF detailed shaders

-Turn OFF Dynamic Glow (you can still have glowy sabers with -Dynamic Lights, so don't worry)

-Turn OFF force feedback mouse

-Turn OFF EAX support

-Turn DOWN Anisotrophic Filtering (some suggest 50 %, I put it at 0, it doesn't make THAT much difference, especially when you're fighting and speeding around).

-Turn your resolution down to 1024x768. Unless you have a monitor bigger than 20 inches, there is no reason to go higher than this anyway.

You can uncap your framerate (in the cfg file) from 85 fps to something higher (whatever you had it set to in JK2 is fine). This may not work for everyone of course...

Messing with com_hunkmegs according to Raven does not work in JK2/JA (it auto-allocates memory, despite what we all thougth before), so that may not help you.

I have my detail settings on Medium geometric detail, Medium texture detail, and it looks fine and runs decently.

I don't know about you, but I am getting the same (within 5 fps) framerates I got in JK2, and I'm only running on a Geforce2 gts (32 mb) and 256 megs of ram on a 1 ghz system.

If you tweak the options properly you should get decent performance similar to JK2.

Run the system analyzer program that came with the install and see if any errors pop up (run all the tests in advanced).

I had to initially "downgrade" My Nvidia drivers to make the game run well.

Also disabling the following options in display setup (in game) may help you:

-Turn OFF detailed shaders

-Turn OFF Dynamic Glow (you can still have glowy sabers with -Dynamic Lights, so don't worry)

-Turn OFF force feedback mouse

-Turn OFF EAX support

-Turn DOWN Anisotrophic Filtering (some suggest 50 %, I put it at 0, it doesn't make THAT much difference, especially when you're fighting and speeding around).

-Turn your resolution down to 1024x768. Unless you have a monitor bigger than 20 inches, there is no reason to go higher than this anyway.

You can uncap your framerate (in the cfg file) from 85 fps to something higher (whatever you had it set to in JK2 is fine). This may not work for everyone of course...

Messing with com_hunkmegs according to Raven does not work in JK2/JA (it auto-allocates memory, despite what we all thougth before), so that may not help you.

I have my detail settings on Medium geometric detail, Medium texture detail, and it looks fine and runs decently.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Moderator, could you please rename this thread. The game does not "suck" because this person is having trouble getting it to work on his system. The volume of negatively charged ion... er... threads is now reaching critical mass.

Exactly. What "sux" is that people don't know the difference between problems with the game and problems with their system/settings.

Ok I have some serious performance issues, Now I'm running on a BEAST of a machine and the single player game simply runs like ass, I get INSANE framerates in MP (hitting my 80FPS Vsync cap) but in single player the same settings yield a framerate of 0...... hmmmmmmmm.

Using the newest 3.7 ATi Catalyst drivers, system is.

Athlon XP3200+

1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR

ASUS A7V600

ATi Radeon 9800pro

Sound Blaster Audigy

80Gb Seagate Barricuda V SATA

I'm running at 1280x1024x32 Highest quality everything 4xAA and 8XAF in multiplayer, and my frameratem hovers around the 80FPS mark limited by refresh (vstync on).

Now in single player using the same setting I get skipping in the cinemas and oooooh I say about 2 FPS in game. Turning AA and AF off and going to 1024x768 and turning everything down to High (meaning no very high geo detail) I get about 25FPS. WTF!

This is really weird. I had performance issues as well, though not that serious. Have you tried turning off dynamic glow? It helped tremendously for me. I run at 90 FPS now (demo).

Also, the vsync doesn't seem to do work right. When I turn around fast, I can clearly see ugly horizontal lines on the screen. Isn't vsync supposed to take care of that?

One thing I found gave me an extra 40-60 fps (!!!) is setting shadows to simple instead of volumetric, the code must be buggy to cause such a severe drop in FPS for simple shadows, either that or the installation screenshots are true and player shadows really do fade out...haven't seen that myself yet. With this disabled however I could set everything else to full and still get at least 80fps at 1024x768 on a Geforce 4.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Moderator, could you please rename this thread. The game does not "suck" because this person is having trouble getting it to work on his system. The volume of negatively charged ion... er... threads is now reaching critical mass.

There is something wrong with the game if someone with a GeForce 2 GTS can run the game better than someone with an ATI Radeon 9800 or a GeForce4. It doesn't "suck" but I think some additional testing would have helped.

my system is as follows

P4 1.8ghz

386ram

gf4 ti4600 128 (44.03drivers)

game setting 800x600

32bitcolor

32bit texture

bilinnear

high

high

shadows off

dyanmic glow off

feedback off

the fps i ever seen was 60 lest i ever seen was 15fps some level run good some just run like crap but most the lvl i usally get an avrage of 25-40fps

with these setting in jo i never drop below 60fps

Anyone knows if this prople at Raven know about this problem, cause I think that we are talking bull**** here, and the problem is that we need an update now. I can't believe that this people released this game with all those bugs. I want my money back!!!.

This is the first game since I bought my computer that I can't actually play. Command & Conquer Generals and Splinter Cell are very heavy but playeable, this game can't be heavier than C&C and Splinter, but it doesn't work right.

My system specs are posted as below, but I've noticed by following reccomendations that were posted for the demo I can pretty much get a constant 70-80fps.

First, make sure force feedback for the mouse is off. Second, turn the shadows to simple. When I had shadows set to volumetric I was gettin -15- fps if I was lucky. Turned that to simple, and I jumped up by nearly 55 fps.

Another thing, for those using the Radeon 9800 Pro and using the 3.7 drivers, if that annoying flashing you get is bugging you, turn off dynamic glow.

Everything else is set to high, anistropic filtering is max, detail is max. Resolution is 1024x768.

Archived