Home

Free for All -- whats the main draw?

Tarus

I go to play multiplay and nearly all of the servers are free for all. What is the main draw that makes people enjoy this mode?

The only thing i can think is that you get to fight and continually fight without needing to worry about a team or "waiting" your turn.

To me, Free for all just seems like a random mess. Im sure some will swear otherwise but in the last two ive joined there was just big piles of people swinging sabers wildly hoping for a kill. When you got five people all swinging non-stop, i highly doubt anyone really knows what they are doing.

Then you'll also get the occasional person who waits for two people to get hurt then zips in and steals the kills.

My point in all of this is that FFA seems to be just a random mess, not enough 'skill' comes into play. Unless killing wounded people is skill ;)

It's probably most popular now because people just getting the game don't yet understand the other game modes and how to play.

"Deathmatch" has been in FPS games since the days of Doom back in 1993-4.

Now, I could understand not always being able to get enough people for a team game or CTF, but then JK2 and JA have built in bots to take up the empty spots before people join, so there's really no excuse not to host this.

And anybody who can successfully host a 6 player FFA can just as easily host a 3 vs. 3 CTF server.

Siege is a bit harder. Bot support is minimal, and people don't know how to play it yet (despite similar games being in UT and Half Life, RTCW etc).

Hopefully they should eventually come around and host other game types.

Archived