Home

FAQ Update, please review

Com Raven

Updated FAQ

Ok guys, I updated and enhanced our terribly out-of-date FAQ

If you think anything should be changed, or if you come up with additional questions which need to be adressed, please post an answer

General Questions

1. What is Knights of the Old Republic?

”Knights of the Old Republic” (or KotOR) is a cinematic role-playing game set in George Lucas' famous Star Wars universe. It's set 4000 years prior to the movies, in the aftermath of the famous Sith War, which was depicted in several successful comic series from Dark Horse Comics. It is being worked on for the Xbox and the PC.

2. Who is developing the game?

”Knights” is being developed by canadian BioWare Corporation, that earned itself lots of awards with the famous Baldur's Gate games, and Neverwinter Nights.

3. Who will publish the game?

As all Star Wars games, Knights will be published by LucasArts Entertaiment Company of Monkey Island and X-Wing fame. LEC will also provide help on the sound. Some other companies like Activision handle publishing in other territories.

4. When can I get my hands on the game?

The game is now available on the Xbox and will be released for the PC in Fall 2003.

5. What systems will Knights run on?

Xbox and PC platforms. There are currently no other planned ports. Requirements for the PC version are yet to be announced.

6. Will we get moding tools for this game? I got plenty of ideas!

Only time will tell, as this is still in the open. It is however rather unlikely.

Gameplay

1. Is this game singleplayer or multiplayer?

This game is focused on delivering an immersive singleplayer experience. Thus, there is unfortunately no multiplayer support. There will however be additional downloadable content for the Xbox version via Xbox LIVE.

2. Since RPGs are about rules, what will this game use?

KotOR uses the D20 rules system also found in the Star Wars pen&paper roleplaying game from Wizards of the Coast. D20 is the same system being used for the new Dungeons & Dragons rules.

3. Why is the game not set during the movies?

The decision to use this timeframe was made by BioWare to give their developers more artistic freedom with the story and look of the game.

4. Due to the size of the SW Universe, where will the game take place?

You'll travel to 7 different planets during the course of the game. Among them are locales such as Tatooine, the wookie's homeworld Kashyyyk and Korriban, the Sith World. There are also several other locations like starship interiors for you to explore.

5. This being titled Knights of the Old Republic, can I use the force?

Yes, there will be around 40 force powers at your disposal. These will be divided in light side (Healing for example), dark side (powers like Lightning) and neutral powers. Your ability to use them will depend both on your alignment, as well as your characters stats.

6. Is this a 2D or 3D game?

3D. For more info, look at the technical section of this FAQ or at our screen shots.

7. Is the combat real-time or turn-based?

The game utilises a hybrid real-time/turn-based system which allows you to pause at any time during combat to issue new orders to your party members. The combat is however rules-based, which means that you character’s stats will determine success or failure of attacks.

8. Can I customize the hotkeys and controls?

Pretty likely for the PC, but details about this are yet to be announced. You won't be able to customize the controls on the Xbox though.

9. How will I communicate with NPCs during the game?

You will be communicating with NPCs through a system of pre-defined responses, also called a multiple-choice system (similar to the system used in the Baldur's Gate series.)

Character & Party

1. Do I control a character or a party?

You will create a character at the beginning. During the course of the game, you will find 9 additional members who offer to join you for various reasons or purposes. Two of them will be on the road with you, while the others wait back in your ship.

2. Wait, MY ship?

Yes, you'll have your own space transport, the Ebon Hawk. It will be pretty similar to Han Solo's Millenium Falcon. The ship serves as a mobile haven, allowing you not only to travel between planets, but also to rest, heal and improve certain items on your workbench.

3. What options are there for my character?

Quite a few. While he'll be forced to be of the human species, he still has the choice between 6 character classes, like Jedi Guardian or Scoundrel. For more info on those, visit our Classes section. There are also 8 skills and special feats to customize your character even further.

4. But I wanted to be a [insert favourite, absolutely obscure alien race]!

Sorry, but the developers needed a human for their story. You will understand why once you played the game yourself.

5. What NPCs are there?

9 different, among them Wookiees, Twi'leks and Droids. Look at the NPC section for more info.

6. What weapons can I wreak havoc with?

There is a wide range of weapons at your disposal, among them several different blaster pistols, rifles, various types of grenades, swords and all the know kinds of lightsabers.

7. Face the truth: the Dark Side is stronger! Can I be evil?

Yes. In fact your choices and decisions in different situations are a main focus of the gameplay and story. There are also two different end cinematics, depending on whether you are good or evil.

8. What are the options for my character's look?

You get a certain body based on your gender and class, and then choose between several different heads/faces.

Technical Questions

1. Those shots look great; will my computer be able to run it?

As the PC version is still some months away, no info on the requirements is known so far. The game will use all of the GeForce 3's advanced features, so having a T&L compatible graphics adapter won't be a mistake.

2. What engine is being used in the game?

It's called Odissey and advances on Neverwinter Night's Aurora engine. It was enhanced to use all of the latest GeForce series Direct X 8 features, like pixel and vertex shaders.

3. What screen resolutions can I run the game in?

Based on your hardware, especially your video card, you should be able to run in the game in most of the usual screen resolutions.

Archived