Home

Need performance advice

yoda_alex

My computer spec is:

Athlon 2400+

512 MB of RAM (DDR)

GeForce Ti-4200

I have an LCD monitor but unfortunately with all the options turned on I can't run the game in my monitors native resolution of 1280x1024 without the game appearing jerky. I have to drop down to 1024x768 which gives the game a grainy appearance due the monitor not running in its native res.

So I have the following questions:

1. How do you get the frame rate meter up?

2. What is an acceptable frame rate?

3. What options can I turn off in order to get a 1280x1024 resolution wothout a serious loss of game detail. Or am I wishing for the impossible with my computers spec.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by yoda_alex

My computer spec is:

Athlon 2400+

512 MB of RAM (DDR)

GeForce Ti-4200

I have an LCD monitor but unfortunately with all the options turned on I can't run the game in my monitors native resolution of 1280x1024 without the game appearing jerky. I have to drop down to 1024x768 which gives the game a grainy appearance due the monitor not running in its native res.

So I have the following questions:

1. How do you get the frame rate meter up?

2. What is an acceptable frame rate?

3. What options can I turn off in order to get a 1280x1024 resolution wothout a serious loss of game detail. Or am I wishing for the impossible with my computers spec.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) cg_drawFPS 1 (enter in the console)

2) I would say anything above 30fps

3) turn off dynamic lighting, lower anistropic filtering and disable VSync ( all are selectable in the video menus)

High resolutions will cause a significant framerate drop on most machines below 2ghz. I have an almost identical system as you and I get a cosiderable framrate loss at 1024x768

Hope this helps.

Thanks to both of you!

With rut-wa jodar's tips my fps has gone from ~25 with 1074*768 to ~50 with 1280*1024 with no noticable drop in quality!

Its a shame that the dynamic glow command doesn't work in SP, but I'll keep it in mind for MP.

(btw ~ means approximately)

Archived