Home

How about a prequel?

Anomonous Guy

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, and ive read through some of the topics on the site and I just thought I would suggest that instead of a sequelk being made, maybe LucasArts should consider a prequel.

Because we still dont know how Herman Toothrot managed to sail to Monkey Island 20 years ago, and get stranded there and then go to dinky island and then go to monkey island again only to turn out to be Elaines grandad....

We also don't know where guybrush originally came from or why he wanted to be a pirate in the first place, but I feel that we should have a story which does include Guybrush time travelling from where he is now because he learns in order for LeChuck not to take over the world, he must go back in time. Along the way we could see alot of the story 'plot holes' that were devloped in MI 4 become unravelled. I dunno, it's just an idea, and maybe not a good one but it could inspire a good idea hehe :)

A valient effort, but in my opinion, there could be better plots. I got WAY too hooked on MI1 and it's very *non-futuristic not pretend actual real life kinda scary yet amazingly funny pirates* way of being.

Not many people agree with my opinions, though.

It could end up to be a wonderful game!

Not neccesarily, i know it would take away from things and would cause a MASSIVE uproar, especially in places like this, but it is very easily possible to have tons of things based around the Monkey Island game world without Guybrush...

I just think it would be really cool to play as Grandpa Marley in the past... :)

Oh, I wish LucasArts hadn't stopped the original Legends of LeChuck. (For those who don't know: A fangame.). Only played the demo.

I really want to know the story of what happened when Guybrush was a kid, and why his parents abandoned him. I just know that Guybrush has had a tough childhood, and very complex things is going through his mind in the other games. I think.

I read somewhere that Guybrush had been abandoned from his parents, and he needed someone that could care for him, and that he chose Elaine. And that is why Elaine originally looked upon Guybrush as a little brother. Oh, I know that's a lot of stuff that haven't been told yet.

-Rapp Scallion

well... if you havent heard, one of the new hypothesies (???) on "the secret of monkey island" is that guybrush is just a kid imagining all of it. therefore the statement in mi2 about his parents abandoning him could just be a reference to him getting lost in the disneyland-type theme park his parents bring him to.

i dont know about a prequel, my love for smi was founded in the imagination of the game and the mystery behind it... a prequel would attempt to explain things about smi that maybe would be better off left alone, so as to not damage the classic. and how would it be like playing Monkey Island - The Prequel in 3d, 1600X1200 with advanced bump mapping and lighting, and then go back to 320x200 256 color smi graphics? i think it would take away from the original games, in my humble opinion.

Originally posted by Rapp Scallion

I just know that Guybrush has had a tough childhood, and very complex things is going through his mind in the other games. I think.

I read somewhere that Guybrush had been abandoned from his parents, and he needed someone that could care for him, and that he chose Elaine. And that is why Elaine originally looked upon Guybrush as a little brother. Oh, I know that's a lot of stuff that haven't been told yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guybers had some serious issues like that. I really wouldn't--not if his parents abandoned him. (Actually, I already think he's got issues. They just haven't turned into a big deal yet.)

I don't know if I'd want a prequel, though. I mean, you'd know how it would end, basically, if you'd already played MI1...and I don't want the characters' pasts cleared up that much, to be honest.

I'm all for delving a little more into character histories, Guybrush's in particular, in MI5 as part of the plot or even something that's practically a throwaway sentence such as "But I thought you abandoned me!" in MI2. I'm willing to grasp at straws here, people.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Orca Wail

hmm, while we're on THAT path, does anyone think the doctor's office in the tunnels in Mi2 has relvance.

Poor Guybrush. I see him (as a kid) lying there tied to the table while some evil persons are stabbing him with syringes. Poor, poor Guybrush :(

-Rapp Scallion

There's bags of possible storyline before he washes up on Melee. But I don't think they should release a prequel. I don't think it would be much good. Rather than a prequel, Guybrush could have flash backs or something or travel back in time. I think making a prequel at this point would spoil things, as the story clearly isn't over, even though MI4 had probably the weakest plot of the series.

They need to bring things back to basics. Although, that's easier said than done - recovering from the MI4 loopholes will be difficult.

What about killing off Elaine????? Now that might spice things up a bit and give Guybrush a great new reason for killing lechuck - ultimately the man behind things. What about a divorce? Also, what about switching the graphics style back to cartoony? The cartoony graphics style is more popular among fans and would make the game easier to make, meaning more time could be spent focusing on plot, script etc.

Originally posted by Sharptooth

What about killing off Elaine????? Now that might spice things up a bit and give Guybrush a great new reason for killing lechuck - ultimately the man behind things.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to deal with Guybrush in a situation like that. He'd be utterly heartbroken; it'd take quite a bit to inspire him to quit wallowing in his own misery, much less get up and go after LeChuck for revenge.

And why would LeChuck kill Elaine, anyway...?

Archived