whymewhynow

800 Mhz PIII

384 MB SDRAM

20GB HD

nvidia geforce fx 5600 ultra

soundblaster audigy 2 zs

windows xp sp1

no programs running in background

at a random time between launching the game (sp or mp) and no more than two minutes from the first screen, the sound/music begins to repeat, and everything else freezes and stops responding: the keyboard doesn't do anything, the screen and mouse pointer freezes, and the only thing to do is reset from the tower. other less-intensive applications and games (such as icewind dale ii) function normally.

i've been emailing lucasarts tech support back and forth, who had me change the various acceleration levels for sound and video. i whittled away at the levels until video was at its lowest possible settings and (from dxdiag) the sound was turned off ccompletely. this didn't help. they had me check the irq channels, but i found there were no conflicts or sharing. that's all they've suggested thus far; i'm awaiting an email hopefully this morning for the latest idea. i've reinstalled the game, the hardware, the drivers. nothing works.

this is effing ridiculous and i'd really appreciate any help.

yeah, check out the stuck thread above about bugs. people generally help out in there. In particular there is an informative post by 'Staffmaster' on page 2 about tweaking graphics cards via the bios - can be very helpful ! I assume you are running an original cd, without cracks etc....

Did you play the demo version , did that work OK ??

Is your soundcard compatible, did you have EAX turned off ?

Is your geForce 64 mb ?

Too bad you HD is only 20gb..how much free ??

got the latest direct x in ?!

Hope you get it fixed...

MTFBWYA

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem in multiplayer with my new Audigy 2 ZS. If I have

EAX on, after a while(usually the 2nd or 3rd map) the sound starts to get distorted and pop.

Turning EAX off solves this. Unfortunately, turning EAX off in game results in an instant crash.

Originally posted by whymewhynow

800 Mhz PIII

384 MB SDRAM

20GB HD

nvidia geforce fx 5600 ultra

soundblaster audigy 2 zs

windows xp sp1

no programs running in background

at a random time between launching the game (sp or mp) and no more than two minutes from the first screen, the sound/music begins to repeat, and everything else freezes and stops responding: the keyboard doesn't do anything, the screen and mouse pointer freezes, and the only thing to do is reset from the tower. other less-intensive applications and games (such as icewind dale ii) function normally.

i've been emailing lucasarts tech support back and forth, who had me change the various acceleration levels for sound and video. i whittled away at the levels until video was at its lowest possible settings and (from dxdiag) the sound was turned off ccompletely. this didn't help. they had me check the irq channels, but i found there were no conflicts or sharing. that's all they've suggested thus far; i'm awaiting an email hopefully this morning for the latest idea. i've reinstalled the game, the hardware, the drivers. nothing works.

this is effing ridiculous and i'd really appreciate any help.

I have the exact same problem! I have GeforceFX 5200. It happens in both JO and JA. I'm not sure, but it looks like it mostly happens while I'm in vehicles. Every time it happens, I just want to kick my computer. It suck!

EDIT: I just read the post, and discovered it's different. For me, it happens in the middle of the game. Yet, I believe it is the same thing.

Archived