Home

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro... 128 or 256 MB?

Compa_Mighty

Originally posted by Praetorian

I gotta go w/ Sherack on this on. You get proformance increase, but you quite often void your warranty. And he right, no matter how well cooled, you do decrease the life of the componate. (however, the expected life could be 10 years and this only shorts it to maybe 6 in bad cases...by then you have a new computer anyway)

But there isn't anything that says your video card is voided if you over clock your video card though.. ;)

Originally posted by Praetorian

But what happens if your fan dies and the component doesn't have an auto-clockdown or shutdown feature. Fried.

For example, a standard Athlon XP processor will be able to survive if the fan dies (the heatsink will keep it cool), but if it is overclocked the heatsink probably won't be able to keep it cool enough on it's own. And if you don't have a good MB with a fast shutdown feature (very fast) you'll lose the CPU. (plus you have no warranty on it, cause you overclocked it)

However... If you set within the BIOS to beep when it overheats and for the shut down feature.. I would think that would be a bit standard, but with the right mother board with the shut down and/or a utility to tell you the temperature, then you can be good. As for the fan ceasing, I sometimes open the case and check, but I mainly do it to clean some dust than can ruin my PC.. This can be annoying with a window case..

Archived