Home

Should "Under God" be removed from the pledge of allegiance?

BongoBob

Should it?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should it?

• Yes
    • No
    • YODA!

I think "under god" should be removed. Also, "in god we trust" should be taken off money. I, and many other people believe that god is a false theory. The constitution gives us freedom of religion, so saying that all people trust god, and that the country is under god is false, and goes against the first amendment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i recon it should go, cos the word god could be any religion, which is fair, but not everyone is religious, so it doesnt really fit does it. Well come to think of it, the whole nursery rhyme should be taken out as well, its basiclally saying "America, i like it", most other countries are un-american, and what r people pledging what to? its a country, its not perfect, but live in it, theres nothing to pledge.

Personally, I don't care whether or not "under god" is in the pledge - its being there (or not) will change neither my patriotism nor my faith. Whether it's there or not will not force me to believe that somehow God has not blessed this country. I know for a fact, having spoken with several friends of mine who teach elementary school, that students (in my city in California, at least) are in no way forced to say, "under god," and in fact can opt out of saying the pledge period if they have a valid reason, such as religious beliefs - one of my friends told me that she had two students who are Jehovah's Witnesses, and they were able to sit out during the pledge with no repurcussions. It may be different in other places, but that has been my experience.

I'm proud to be an American, and I'm proud to be a Christian. Taking God out of the pledge will not shatter my faith in either my country or my God.

On the topic of "separation of church and state," however, I must take issue. Our Constitution is the one and only law governing our entire nation, and nowhere in our Constitution are the words "separation of church and state," they were actually taken from the text of a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. They do not come from any kind of law within or without the U.S. The Constitution clearly dictates that the government should niether openly endorse any religion (like, say, the Church of England is endorsed by Britian's government), nor shall it restrict the practices of any particular religion. The language of the law is plain and simple. If "Under God" constitutes a governmental endorsement of religion, take it out. There have been cases, though, of student-sponsored voluntary prayer in schools which have been stopped by administration because of the mythical "separation of church and state," and this is wrong.

I also should address the post that stated that many of our founding fathers were deists - not Christians. This, quite simply, is not true. Unfortunately, I do not have my books here with me so I can properly thrash this theory (I'm at work), but a simple examination of letters written by the signers of the Constitution shows plainly that most of them not only believed in Christ, but believed deeply. While one or two may have been deists, and for several we have no proof as to their faith, most were practicing Christians.

Archived