Home

playing Outcast through the Academy engine

peloquin

Started playing around with SP missions from Outcast puting them into Academy and they seem to work just fine. There's a bit of work involved to get them just right. You have to add textures, prefabs, models with their npc files, sounds including cut sceen dialog and a few other bits and pieces you work out while playing the level. I've played through the first 4 missions of outcast so far using the academy engine. So for everyone that wanted to use a saber staff in outcast, it's possible :)

I don't know if I'll go through and add the whole outcast sp missions cause there is a bit of work to do and in the end all you're really getting is the ability to use saber staff, dual and the vehicles. Maybe if I can work out how to add them to the mission selection screens so instead of 8 missions for each tier you'd have 16 or so...that might be cool. Anyone have any idea how we could do that? Alter the missions menu, add a string file?

It would probably not go over very well with the guys at LucasArts (someone just dl'ing Outcast when they only bought JA).. You can make it, but don't release it unless it won't work without Outcast. (make it use the outcast pk3s)

I looked at the .menu files, they look pretty straightforward to edit. Doesn't look like you'd have any problems with them.

yeah it's not something I would be looking to release, more just an idea to share with those of us who like editing there own game. Maybe we could release the menu configs that add the missions links to the single player menu in academy as an aid to people who want to add the whole thing themselfs.

Actually, I believe Raven allows any of their works to be used in any other Raven program, so I believe you can use/run Outcast assests in Academy.

But, as far as packing up all of Outcast and distributing that as a "mod" for Academy, would be pretty inane and inefficient. Oh yeah, and it isn't a new engine. Just a few aesthetic improvements, at most.

In any case, check this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113158

Archived