Home

Jedi Needs First Person Lightsaber

WesMordine

Hi there!

One of the things I loved about Jedi Outcast was tho choice between 1st and 3rd person lightsaber combat. Allthough 3rd person allows you to perform a lot of stunts, "a true Jedi craves not these things", said master Yoda.

I saw a mod for JO multiplayer, called True View. Is someone able to make it posible for this option to be available in Jedi Academy?

I'd be very thankful for your help, and I'm sure many others would.

Thank you for your attention

Wes Mordine

Raven says they won't do First Person Saber, and they're not showing any signs of changing their minds.

RA, I will use TrueView, you've won me over, but I want to be able to do the following things:

1) Use TrueView apart from any other mods on its own. The dodging mod was cool, but I'd rather use the TrueView on its own.

2) Disable any "view shaking"... ie: making the camera spin or shake spastically every time my character does a flip or whatever just makes me sick and serves no useful purpose to me, so I'd rather disable it.

The more it can function like the First Person Saber in JK2 1.04, the better. I understand TrueView shows the entire model since it doesn't use an arm's only skin, that's fine, but otherwise I'd like it the same.

Your mod, do what you like, but if you include the trueview thing as a seperate PK3 then it could be used on its own, and if you include the options to stop the camera spins, I'll use it for sure!

Originally posted by Kurgan

1) Use TrueView apart from any othermods on its own.

Unfortunately, True View requires code alteration to work. However, if I do end up doing True View for JKA, I'll make it open source as part of the Open Jedi Project to allow people to use it in any OJP based mod.
2) Disable any "view shaking"... ie: making the camera spin or shake spastically every time my character does a flip or whatever just makes me sick and serves no useful purpose to me, so I'd rather disable it.

The more it canfunction like the First Person Saber in JK2 1.04, the better. I understand TrueView shows the entire model since it doesn't use an arm's only skin, that's fine, but otherwise I'd like it the same.

The ability to turn off the camera shaking was already in the JK2 version of MotF. But, I suppose I could add an arm skins only cvar if I do a True View for JKA.

My point was, I'd like to just use the First Person Lightsaber portion of your mod in JA by itself. No other features, because that is replacing (for me) the missing First Person Lightsaber function.

Actually, having the full model instead of just two floating arms is kinda cool, but having the arm's only skin as an option (and nobody else would see it, only me on my end) would be awesome!

Oh, the other thing about TrueView, is that I'd like to use it for Sabers and Melee.

IIRC TrueView for JK2 had an option (I think it was an option) to use it for guns. while that was kinda cool, it exposed the player to the fact that the first person gun models are MUCH prettier than the third person ones. ; )

So if I can use TrueView for Sabers and Melee that's cool, and switch back if I get tired of it with a cvar or something.

Best of luck with it btw, hope that SDK comes out soon so you can release it!

This topic comes up often, I think 'RadRick' made a similar post recently. Nonetheless, as fun as 1st person view was in JK1/MoTS, those games were just *different*, definitely less dynamic than the q3 engine allows on JO/JA. Now, with the new sabers, particularly dual sabers and saberstaff, the field of vision required is effectively doubled(or more) as compared to the swinging arcs that apply in single saber combat only.

Try to imagine the actual use of these weapons, its is the feedback that is transmitted from your arms to your brain, telling them where they are in relation to the body, this is called "proprioception" (I work in physical rehabilitation, so I'm not just making this up :cool: ) It is this sensory feedback that would allow for the accurate use of these weapons. So, in a game contect, you obviously lose this, and are left with visual references only). This is why 1st person view with dual sabers/saberstaff would just be too difficult(for many, including myself).

What about the 'Maul-esque' backstab(contriversial/taboo to some), impossible to implement in first person view as you are not aware of your surroundings in the game.

Nonetheless, the game/engine allows for customisable views. Many options have been posted by different members, including making skins invisible, to altering viewpos..... The aforementioend mod, as mentioend wasnt hugely popular because of these factors and more....

But to each their own, just giving my 2c - whatever you do -

HAVE FUN !!!

MTFBWYA

Of course it works (in MP), but the model's head is in the way.

That's why in JK2 MP 1.04 when you used that command it automatically switched you to an "arm's only" Kyle model (which was client side so nobody else saw a partially invisible skin.. they just saw whatever skin you were using normally).

Archived