Home

Startup Crash Winxp ONLY with more than 512MB ram

askwhy

OK here goes... (I am a longtime hardware/software tech, so please crank it up a notch...)

SWG has been running FINE until I added memory.

P4 2.26 (533bus)

Intel Desktop MB (533 bus)

HAD Gforce4 Ti 4440 - NOW HAVE Radeon 9600 256mb (long story)

Winxp Prof SP1 0 All patches

512MB DDR 266 (2x 256mb)

I purchased two sticks of 512 to replace existing (only 2 slots)

Memory was Centon (although I exchanged it for Kingston later...see below)

A single stick by itself ran fine. Both 512 (or one 512 + one 256)

cause the game to CRASH on startup. Immediately after I press "PLAY" the game tries to load but never gets as far as the logo. Windows returns to normal and the process is no longer running at all. 100% repeatable.

I exchanged the memory for Kingston and the same thing happens.

The BIOS has settings for CAS latency (2.0 or 2.5 or AUTO only choices) and the sticks are rated at 2.5. No change of available settings that I have tried results in ANY change. Auto or Manual.

ONLY using 512 or less RAM allows the game to load. I have e-mail support but who knows what they will say.

Please tell me someone knows EXACTLY what is wrong...this stinks...I was just getting sucked in completely.

SWG uses over 600MB of paging file when I only have 512mb installed. HELP!

-Zac

I run Windows2000 with 768megs. Just resently my system has been crashing too, only with large amount of stuff on the screen, many players fighting in the same group.

I'm almost positive they released some patch that was supposed to help performance for the people with large amounts of RAM, 512+. I did notice increase in performance lately in towns, ect.

But the is at the cost of some kind of memory leak which is handle a little differently with XP than 2000. It's not your system, its SWG. Until they resolve the memory leak I don't think changing memory type will help much if any. If you notice the game is way more depended on memory than swap files from the hard drive now.

Go back to 512 or go Windows 2000 :) Forget Microsoft Spyware XP. Or wait until they reslove it.

Archived