Home

Is this game something for me?

HertogJan

Hey guys,

I was wondering if KOTOR would be any good for me (on the PC)... My RPG experience is limited to Jagged Alliance 2 and Deus Ex (insofar that's and RPG ;)) and I really don't know the skill system and rules of RPG games (Dungeons & Dragons rules and the like).

I'm a real Star Wars fan though, and a game like this sounds great, but I'm afraid I might find it too boring or too hard, because I'm not really used to a RPG games. I played Morrowind once and it was horrible, you had to choose skills, experience, looks, type of character etc etc and I didn't get it; what the hell does a Paladin mean in normal language?! But on the other had; I don't want to let the game make all the choices for me...

So do you guys think KOTOR is a game I'll like?? I know it's a turn based combat system but I don't mind that :) And I enjoy conversations and such in games like Deus Ex so that won't be a problem...

Originally posted by HertogJan

I really don't know the skill system and rules of RPG games (Dungeons & Dragons rules and the like).

The game makes it easy to learn these things, and there is lots of information on the web.

I'm a real Star Wars fan though, and a game like this sounds great, but I'm afraid I might find it too boring or too hard, because I'm not really used to a RPG games.

I would say that it is a must for real Star Wars fans, as it does a fantastic job of portraying that universe. That being said, combat is less of a focus than it is in JO/JA, although there is lots of action. But you do not control your character directly, in terms of swings and that sort of thing. You specify a target and what attacks you want to use, and the game executes them for you. The result is something that looks very cinematic. But if you can't stand not controlling all your moves, you might not like it.

I played Morrowind once and it was horrible, you had to choose skills, experience, looks, type of character etc etc and I didn't get it;

You have to do the same in KOTOR. Part of the appeal for many is that you can develop what skills, abilities, equipment, and weapons your character has. It is very easy to learn though. For the most part these decisions come down to personal preference.

But on the other had; I don't want to let the game make all the choices for me...

You make all the choices (if you want) on how your character grows and what path he takes. You also control what actions your character does. What you don't control is every combat movement. It is not a FPS.

So do you guys think KOTOR is a game I'll like?? I know it's a turn based combat system but I don't mind that :) And I enjoy conversations and such in games like Deus Ex so that won't be a problem...

It sounds to me like you might not. But I would say that if you are a big SW fan, then this game is great. I have read a lot of reviews saying that many people who generally don't like RPGs love KOTOR...

Archived