Home

Next Release Date?

razorace

I got several people asking for us to release the next version wave of OJP for a variety of reasons. I think we got enough new stuff to do it but I have several issues:

1. I'm on vacation so I can't really do it until late next week.

2. What about the saber system? I think it's not quite ready for prime time but it will be soon.

3. TCK hasn't submitted the RGB saber code yet and I'd like to have that in the next release if possible.

Thoughts?

Well, to me I see two different releases. IMO, the saber code should be in the Enhanced release, and the RGB color code in Basic. So it's really a matter of two questions for me!:D Anyways, I'd PM or email TCK when you get time, and then go from there. Upped vehicle support seems to be the biggest push in Basic lately. I don't really use Enhanced too much, and that's something that appeals to certain crowds, and not others, so take your time to perfect that.

I agree about putting off the Enhanced release. I don' think we need to rush that out the door any time soon. Let's take our time and make sure the stuff we have in there is not only properly implemented and polished up, but also extensively BETA TESTED.

...as far as the Basic release, I think we have some good stuff that is - as far as I'm aware - ready to go. However, it would be nice to have the saber RGB stuff in the next release. Assuming it's days rather than weeks away, I'd say let's wait till that's in.

At this point, I feel like we should have somebody in charge of organising and running beta-tests. Some of the stuff we are adding really does need to be tested properly and thouroughly (for me, the new droideka imp. really sticks out as in need of testing) Can I try and appoint someone to this 'post' Razor? I don't really feel up to this myself, not least because I can't easiely host games from my comp...

...assuming Razor is OK with this, who is up for the job? You will need to be able to either provide hosting directly, or arrange for it to be avaliable. Also, you will need to round up the people listed as beta testers, and arrange testing times that are best for all. And lastly, you will need to collect all feedback from everybody, filter out the background noise ;) and give us the juicy stuff that we really need to hear...

I like the idea of a beta testing team but I don't think we're going to get anyone to do it. If you can find someone that will actually do the work, that would be great. :)

On the other hand, if we can't find someone(s) to handle betatesting, we're pretty much stuck with using the general public for indepth betatesting.

Since we're probably not going to release a new public version of Enhanced soon, how about I just merge the saber system into Enhanced branch to make things easier to handle?

Plus, the saber system is an ongoing project. I don't really see why people seem to think that it's just something that can be concider "done".

"Satisfied" as in "I think it's totally done" or "I think the system is complete enough to be enjoyable by the public"?

As for betatestings, the objective is three fold:

1. Find bugs.

2. Determine what "works" and doesn't "work" from the perspecive of game balance and fun.

3. Find areas of improvement or new features that would compliment our current works/goals.

If you want to hold off for a day or two, I'm going to submit two menu files. The first being missionfailed.menu, which will have a simple 'quit game' as an option. Just to jump out of a game quick when you're frustrated. The second will be an 'Advanced' tab under controls, which will allow the player to set Cvars for things like cg_drawFPS, g_saberPickuppableDroppedSabers, and g_saberlockrandomness (when set to 0, locks happen more often). The first I want to make sure goes in. It's easy to do, and it's something that would be quite helpful. The other one, well, I'll take my time.

"Satisfied" as in "I think it's totally done" or "I think the system is complete enough to be enjoyable by the public"?
The second (as nothing is ever done to everyone's satisfaction anyway).

Teancum:

Sounds interesting. Would be useful for newbies that don't know all of the more commonly used commands.

Well, the missionfailed menu is for SP, of course, but I forgot that they had a 'mission select' choice right where I was going to put 'quit game'. So I'll have to stretch everything up a bit.

As for the advanced setup tab, it will go in SP, since many of the options in SP will not be available in MP unless you are the host.

The menus are complete.

-missionfailed.menu now has Quit Game below Quick Load. Everything but Mission Select was moved up to accomodate.

-setup.menu and ingamesetup.menu now have an Advanced tab with the following options:

1-Framerate on/off (cg_DrawFPS)

2-Pick up enemy saber on/off (g_saberPickuppableDroppedSabers)

3-Saber lock frequency often/sometimes/rarely -- (0,1,2) - (g_saberLockRandomNess)

4-Show health meter on/off --shows health meter above every character (cg_debugHealthBars)

5-Corpse removal time never/2 minutes/1 minute/30 seconds (g_corpseremovaltime)

6-Saber Realism (from OJP Basic 0.0.4, moved over to advanced menu) - (g_sabermorerealistic)

Also added (actually un-commented) the "All voiceovers" choice under subtitles. It's obvious why Raven removed it, the HUD covers it sometimes, but it's still a cool feature nonetheless, so I put it back in.

I couldn't think of anything else to put in the advanced section, so if anyone has any ideas, be sure to put them here. I'll be making the submission in a few days.

I can't think of anything

I found some more things I'd like to add before I upload the new menu additions. Here they are, taken straight from my 'to do' list:

ADD to ADVANCED MENU

Wireframe - r_showtris !

Game speed - timescale (5 presets--very slow, slow, normal, fast, very fast)

Saber Anim Speed - g_saberanimspeed (5 presets--very slow, slow, normal, fast, very fast)

ADD TO OPTIONS MENU

Crosshair size - small/med/large

crosshair 1-9 (apparently the demo had 9 crosshairs -- investigating

ADD TO BINDS

Camera change (cg_thirdperson) -- users can manually change camera

Melee? - Iknowkungfu new bind

Clean screenshot (cg_draw2d 0; screenshot; silent) - probably exec a cfg

So gimmie at least 3-4 more days (no class this Mon, M.L.K. Jr day)

*RA -- have you heard from TCK on the saber color code?

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

The Iknowkungfu command gives the player all force powers as well - probably you should go with g_debugmelee instead.

Noted--I'll use Debugmelee

Got wireframe, game speed, and saber anim speed in, as well as descriptions (much needed -- timescale only works on a loaded level, and resets each time you exit, and it also trumps saber anim speed)

Another update:

Wireframe, Game Speed (time scale), Saber speed, and Melee Type (punches or punches, kicks, grabs) have been added to advanced menu.

Crosshair now comes in 3 different sizes to choose from: small, medium, and large. -- I downloaded the demo to check out the supposed 9 different crosshairs it has, but it was a corrupt file. :rolleyes: I'll get to that asap.

Melee is now added by defualt whenever you start any mission that goes to the weapon select screen. 'Melee Type' affects the way it works. I haven't figured out how to add it to a loaded mission, a config file with 'helpusobi 1' then 'give weapon_melee' doesn't work (says "Cheats are not enabled on this server"). You can still add melee manually to a load by loading the game, bringing down the console, then typing 'helpusobi 1' then 'give weapon_melee'. I know you knew that, but just for those who might wander in to these forums.

Still left to do:

See if the 9 crosshairs thing works.

Add binds:

Melee Combat

-For fun-

Zoom Binoculars

Light Amplification Goggles (not sure if this is in there)

Cleanshot (screenshot, no HUD)

Originally posted by Darth Sun

Maybe mailing or PMing Tchouky would be a good idea in case you haven't thought of it (although you most likely did); maybe he's busy with something else and forgot to post the code.

I already have. He's just been busy.

Archived