Home

Custom Textures...

Whitesaber

I'm having trouble on my MP map for Jedi Outcast. I want to use custom textures (such as asphault, cement, and other stuff) I put them in the directory textures/pub. I compiled the map and ran it, but it didn't display them, only an ugly black and white grid thing. I then zipped the textures to a PK3, the directory structure in the file the same (textures/pub) and now it displays some but they're not scaled correctly (they're tiled and very small) and others it still won't display.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know much, but I do know that if I am using custom textures and testing a map, I have to type sv_pure 0 before I load the map by typing devmap "yourmapname".

Not sure why they're tiling wrong though, sorry dude!

Hope that helps somewhat.....

Well, at least thanks to 5shade for trying to help. I found out why it wasn't scaling them correctly.

This is in my case: My computer had a virus resently and that infected every executable in my system. Needless to say, I had to reinstall everything. When I reinstalled Jedi Outcast, I installed it in its default path of D:\Program Files\LucasArts... etc. (D: is my other hard drive). But my old Jedi Outcast directory is still there, known as D:\More Games\Lucasarts... etc. For some reason, when I reinstalled Gtk Radiant, it was using the old Jedi Outcast directory. I changed it to the new one. Yet, it still uses the old one when compiling. Somehow, the compiler has its own sets of tags and information, and right now those tags are telling the compiler to look in the old folder for the new textures, but they're all in my new one! That's when I was getting the error from the compilor, "WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader blah blah blah" and I was looking in my base folder and I actually yelled out loud, "THERE ARE THE IMAGES FOR YOUR STUPID SHADER!! THEEEERRE!!!" :rolleyes:

I have not found the correct solution to this problem, but I have solved it temporarily by copying the new textures directory to my old gamedata\base path. It works fine now, since the compiler needs the old path but the game just feeds off the PK3s, I can release this map no problem.

What I may suggest to you, InSaNe1, is to check if your textures are correctly stored in the texture directory in the gamedata\base folder. If they are, and if the map editor shows them correctly, and if you've had to reinstall Jedi Outcast recently or have in the past, check the compiler window when it starts. Note the "VFS Init:" path. If it's not the same as your current Jedi Outcast path, then you need, temporarily, to move your new textures back to the old Jedi Outcast gamedata\base folder. I'm currently working on a way to just plain fix this and have the compiler look in the correct path, but for now, this is the solution.

Thanks for you concern and help, 5hade!! It did help solve another one of my custom texture problems.

I had my custom textures up and running fine. Even packed my map in a PK3 and had them working. However, I wasn't quite happy with the color in some of the textures so I decided to edit them. I took the textures out, edited them, renamed them, removed the old ones and put the new ones in their place. I went into gtk, put in all the new textures and they showed up fine. I compiled and then tried to load up my map and I got this message:

Error:

LoadTGA: colourmaps not supported

(file: "textures/'my texture file'/'one of my new texture's name'.tga")

Now my old textures were .tga's as well and they worked fine. What's the deal?

*edit*

I just tried removing the offending texture and re-compiling. I get the same message with a different texture now. I did notice something really strange though. I had these same textures packed in a pk3 inside the base folder. When I remove the pk3 I no longer get the error message, however, this now causes my textures to show up as a blank grid. I tried packing another pk3, thinking the other one might have been corrupted somehow. I get the same error with the new one. Also, I am using the 'tset sv_pure 0' command. Any help would be much appreciated.

**edit**

I tried putting the old textures back in the base\textures file. They're the same as they were before. I havn't done anything to them. I loaded up a previous compile that had worked fine before. Now, these old textures are also showing up as blank grids. What's the deal? I don't understand. Should I try uninstalling/re-installing gtk?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

don't know if this helps you, but:

* textures should alwas have a height and width of a power of 2 in pixels

(ex: 512 by 128pixels)

* make sure they are in a folder something like jk2/gamedata/base/textures/yourmap/

and make sure the path you use in radiant is the same as in jk2

* Make sure it's saved in a 24 bit jpeg, or a 32 bit tga.

• 1 year later...
I had my custom textures up and running fine. Even packed my map in a PK3 and had them working. However, I wasn't quite happy with the color in some of the textures so I decided to edit them. I took the textures out, edited them, renamed them, removed the old ones and put the new ones in their place. I went into gtk, put in all the new textures and they showed up fine. I compiled and then tried to load up my map and I got this message:

Error:

LoadTGA: colourmaps not supported

(file: "textures/'my texture file'/'one of my new texture's name'.tga")

Now my old textures were .tga's as well and they worked fine. What's the deal?

just resave your files as jpegs. sorry i didnt see this sooner, just got the same error a minute ago.

Archived