Home

Reverse discrimination

Dagobahn Eagle

I find myself repeatedly annoyed by reverse discrimination.

Consider these points:

• "23 people died, including women and children." Why, exactly, are female deaths considered more tragic than male deaths?

• If a man sees a naked girl, he's a Peeping Tom. If a woman sees a naked guy, the guy's a perverted "shower". Let's proscecute female perverts, too, shall we?

• Femals are not drafted. And don't tell me that "you have to stay at home with the baby." Well, if you really do, it's odd that you find time to work for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 50+ years. Oh, and the whole argument is invalid anyway, because you won't get drafted if you have a baby.

And as for "well, females make children, so we don't have to fight", well, that's just not enough, because discrimination is discrimination. Or to put it this way: While it might be true that women make children, name one woman (in real life, not in 0CE in Christian mythology) who got pregnant without sperm cells. What about women who for some reason can't or don't want to have children? Should we draft them only?

And maybe more women are home with their children than men, but have you considered that working for a full day is just as stressfull as nurturing a kid?

• Minority groups harassing majority groups are likely to get away with it.

Looking at the lenght of the third one, you should be able to tell it's the one that concerns me the most:). Get women drafted, and then give them jobs in the armed forces that they can handle.

Eagle

Well, as for the minority part, I agree with you... but I will have to pass the facts on the female reverse discrimination...

See, affirmative action comes in. Affirmative action, which you probably already know, is the act of giving a group of people an advantage as to make up for the past... the common use of AA is for minorities, most likely African-Americans...

At the University of Michigan, they regard this highly... after you enroll they decide if they will admit you on a 150-point system (I read this off some Newsweek magazine from like November or something). It's highly biased, becuz if ur parents are alumni from UM, you automatically get like 10 points (or 8?)... and if ur black, you get 20-30 POINTS! On a 150 POINT system... that's a lot... but of course it also depends on ur SAT scores, and so on... but still, it's getting to be kinda ridiculous... no offense to African-American people around here, I'm just sayin my opinion, so please don't take it personally...

i still get amazed by how upset people get over reverse discrimination, sure it can be a problem, but it is such a minor drop in the ocean compared to all the "normal" discrmination that goes on.

It also tends to be (in my observation) white middle class men who go on about it all the time, frankly i expect that most of them have never experienced ANY discrimination in their lives, and evn if they have i expect that the effect on them would hardly be as damaging as the effect on someone who was truly underprivilaged.

Im a white male and as far as i can remember i have NEVER experienced discrimination. If i have it was so minor it went unnoticed, so it was hardly harmful. I doubt there are many coloured or female people who aren't experiencing discrimination as we speak, and probably in a much more important sense such as a reduced salary.

"facts" about discrimination can be shown to prove almost anything.

Blacks and women are about 80% less likely to receive life saving heart operations and are more likely to have their ventilators shut off.

However women are less likely to be sent to prison.

Most of this isn't concious discrimination, it is just people's built in stereotypes subconciously affecting their decisions. The reverse discrimination is merely supposed to be a concious way to counter that.

I'm not particularly in favour of reverse discrimination, but it bugs me more the number of people who go on and on about it, 99% of whom have probably never experienced it in their lives, just read about it in the news.:rolleyes:

but it bugs me more the number of people who go on and on about it, 99% of whom have probably never experienced it in their lives, just read about it in the news.

Just because they haven't experienced it personally, doesn't deny them the right to be against it and be offended by it. Heck, the very concept of Black Supremism is offensive to me.

Furthermore, I have experienced it. And I am white. I work in a predominantley black area, and sometimes I get a serious cold shoulder, while a black teacher, working there only 2 months, gets a very warm reception.

Does that mean I have the right to go on and on about it? It certainly makes my job much more difficult.

Please don't even get me started. Blacks and woman are being held down by the Man? What kind of conspiracy theory is that? It's hard for people not to be oppressed when oppression's entirely in their minds.

Originally uttered by some stupid idgit

Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label.

Source

Cultural diversity? Los Angeles? What the hell, man?

Let me make this clear: Black people are not the Alpha and Omega of all things slavery! They never have been, they never will be, and I'm sick of people acting like they are.

And let's not forget this little bit of comedy gold. He is more African than the rest of the black students at that school. Why can't the school say it's for black students? Oh, because that sounds too racist. Can't have anyone realize that the mind-blowing amounts of hypocrasy involved, now.

Jesus christ! I'm close to 100% 3rd generation Irish. The types of conditions the Irish put up with in the 1800s were reasonably miserable. "Irish need not apply" signs were common around New York and Boston. I think the next time someone mentions a Leprechaun, I'm going to make a big scene and say that the Man is keeping me down. And how about the Chinese? They got shafted out in the West, building those railroads.

The fact of the matter is that everyone in the country--save Prodestants of English or Dutch decent--got the **** end of the stick one time or another. Even now, everyone faces prejudice in one form or another. It doesn't matter what color your skin is, what kind of genitalia you have, where you like to stick said genitalia, how you dress, what color your hair, how much you weigh, how tall you are, how book-smart you are, how charismatic you are, etc, etc, etc. Someone, in all likely-hood, looked down on you for it. And that's just today alone! So instead of wasting your time whining about it, maybe you should get on with your life. If your day is ruined because someone called you a nigger, a chink, a paddy, a fag, a jew--whatever--then you. are. a. pansy. You deserve to have your day ruined. Please direct yourself over the nearest cliff. Running into a single, elitest prick with a big mouth is a far cry from a nation full of people willing to give ritual beatings and burn crosses on a person's front lawn. Just shut. up.

And that applies to everyone. These reverse racism shmucks and your orthodox whiners.

I think the debate over racism of any kind (racial, sexual, reverse, etc.) can be solved with these words:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character. I have a dream today.

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

It takes vision to end racism. It takes the courage and moral fortitude to stand up and say, "Maybe I'm wrong." In order to end racism, we've simply got to stop defining people as black or white, man or woman, and instead look at who that person is. And I'm not saying that race cannot be a part of who we are, but it is wrong to look up to one person solely because of skin color, and it is wrong to look down on another solely because of skin color. People have been attempting to justify racism for hundreds of years. During the slavery era in the American South, people used the Bible to justify slavery. Others used economic dependance. Others used "science" (experiments that were largely biased due to the desired outcome of the experimenters). Today we try to justify racism through retribution - that's all that reverse racism is, after all, just racism for the sake of retribution, in some kind of convoluted attempt to make up for past wrongs. But let's not put fancy terms like reverse racism or affirmative action on it. It's racism. Let's call it for what it is.

Racism is still a problem in our world today. In most cases, it is nowhere near the extreme that it was during the 17-1800s, or during the 1950s and the Civil Rights Movement. But this doesn't make it right.

We are never going to end racism with racism - two wrongs will never make it right. In order to end racism, we've got to have the courage to look at Dr. King's words and be willing to live them, each and every day of our lives. That is the one and only way to end racism in our world.

In the case of the stewardess, you're right, to accuse her of racism is absurd, and it is cases like this that cheapen the true cries of racism. Percieved racism is not necessarily racism - racism is based on the intentions of the person committing the act, not the percieved insult observed by the "victim." Otherwise, any person anywhere could be tried and convicted for a hate crime for saying nearly anything.

Archived