Home

Falling Through Solids

Jedi_Vogel

I'm well on the way with my first major map. I'm taking it slowly and compiling often to make sure I'm not spending hours at the end patching up leaks or whatever. There are, however, a few issues that are puzzling (maybe still something in Radiant that I've missed)

1. Falling Through Solids.

Ok I have a brush as like a path against a wall. Or more particularly, I have three of them. Yes, you should be able to walk from one to the other to the other (they escalate a little). I can jump ok onto the first, but the middle one I fall through, while the third is fine.

I've tried "Make structural" but it does nothing. I even tried cloning one of the other solid brushes to replace it, but I still fall through.

2. Light?

When I compile, at the moment, I'm using BSP -meta as it seems to be the only compile that gives me light. I have two STRONG light entities in the same (starting) room but all I get with most of the other compiles are nice glows on the wall where the light hits it. Inside the room is completely dark. And yes, the light entities are in the room lol.

If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Thank you people :)

1) What textures are you using? The brush should be covered in system/caulk with the visible faces covered with the texture you want to see. Also run brush cleanup.

2) BSP -meta actually doesn't do ANY light whatsoever! It just leaves it fullbright. You should do one of those that say (test) in it for testing and it should also say -light somewhere in it. Define strong lights...and take a screenshot.

1. I draw every brush in caulk first and then texture the faces so there's no issue there. And it can't be the textures I have chosen cos the brushes to the left and right of it work fine and are textured in exactly the same way lol.

2. I figures BSP - meta did nothing, but when I say strong light, I have two of them in one [large] room set to about 2500 each (yes, 2500). I'm in the office at the moment (without JA) so I could only take a screen shot of this [very simple] section of my map (I'm creating the building first then furnishin and decorating after). If that would be any use, let me know and I'll do it in my dinner hour [from Radiant]

Ok here we go:

1. hcastle1 - the offending brush is highlighted

http://www.moxby.org.uk/hcastle/hcastle1.jpg

2. hcastle2 - the offending brush close up - textured.

http://www.moxby.org.uk/hcastle/hcastle2.jpg

I would post the top view from the map but the walls between this room and the next one look messed up (even though they work fine), and that view probably wouldn't help much anyway.

If I can take any other screen shots to help the diagnosis, please let me know, because it's still a mystery to me :)

so for compiling with light use the compiling stence with *(test)* in front

so there are several (test) stances Use the one with *-light*

then u will see the light ingame

question we need mapper for our mod do u wanna map a racing map for our mod then add me in icq or msn

299614976 and thb86@hotmail.com

plz contact me

I did a compile with a -light switch and it went real dark (per explanation above).

As for your request, as flattered as I am, I only just started mapping and probably couldn't do it!!! There are good mappers out there and I'm not it. Try Editing Requests or something :)

I get it all the time with a series of ramps I have that are textured with a see through grating texture.

However, which ones I fall through change every time I compile. Sometimes they are solid. Sometimes not.

I got fed up, so my make-shift solutions has been to dupe the brush and cover it entirely in "CLIP" texture.

Now there is no problem with falling through the damn walkways.

Only drawback is you don't get the proper walking sound for the surface.

If this solution isn't acceptable, I would try rebuilding the brush you are having trouble with rather than cloning it as there is probably something funky with the original brush that only shows up when compiling.

Nope....I know what the problem is. It's one of those glitches Radiant has from the BSP process. My maps do all kinds of strange things like sending my func_trains flying apart ingame. And yes NON-solid brushes are a big problam every now and then too. I have seen many posts in forums about that particular problem. The solution? When I get that error I just send it to another mapper who does the BSP for me.....problem solved. It's not that we don't know how to map. It's not that we made some huge error somewhere. So before you rack your brain send the map file to someone else for a TEST compile first.

I would like to add that sometimes these OFFENDING brushes actually cause leaks too. You will see the RED LEAK line go right through a SOLID brush for no apparent reason. Nothing you can do but REdo the brush from scratch......use a different texture....or send the map file away.

So the only question that remains is....why do many of us never ever get the error or if we get a buggy brush are able to fix it so easily?

I know I've had it once, but brush cleanup fixed it or I had used the wrong texture or the brush was just plain wrong.

If there is a genuine bug then it must be a certain set of things that lead up to it and it needs to be found out. That way it can be fixed in future versions.

Only just got to this thread again and of course I'm in the office, so I'll try and see first which caulk I used and see if that genuinely is the problem.

As for the light, I still have no idea why it's only reflecting off the wall.

I'm not going to carry on designing this map until these two issues are resolved, cos it will just make the debug process even longer if I build more and come across these problems every time :)

Thanks people for some pointers :)

Ok, well I checked it out and I was just using standard Caulk, however the texture I was using for the underside and the visible edges had _clip in the name, could this have anything to do with it?

Other than that, I created a new brush and used a different texture underneath and edges and it's very solid, thankfully.

Thanks for the guidence on the compiling, though, works find now, just need to make my lights brighter :)

MTFBWY

Archived