Home

The Downside of Yavin Sky!

Jedi_Vogel

As a tester, I have put a window in one of my rooms and right behind it I put some sky (just big enough to cover the window).

It looks GREAT up, down, left and right. But down you get this disgusting great blerg :p

I know DOWN is not sky lol, so no silly comments about expecting sky where the ground should be. lol

But is there a remedy or do I just not have such windows?

From what I can make out of what you're saying, I think that the problem with the yavin sky is that is doesn't have a "down" texture.

Basically, skies are a box made of 6 textures - up, down, left, right and forward and back. It would appear that the texture yavin_dn is missing and what you're seeing is the hall of mirror effect you get from looking into the void.

I don't know if this is correct, but it seems logical. I know that a lot of Q3 engine games don't use the "_dn" part of the skybox and I think that is what the case is here.

Please correct me if i'm wrong

kk, I'll try and follow these tutorials, though I'm going to have to learn how to make decent terrain (can do basic stuff with EasyGen). There's so much to learn in one go. Still working on scripting tutorials and now portalskies and terrains *frowns* hopefully it'll work out. lol

Thanks you people :)

Be careful when using portal_sky. A few small brushes or even 4 or 6 small terrain models in your portal_skybox will do nicely. But try not to go overboard on the models inside it. As this will bring down your framerate.

Ugh...Gothix, that's not a very good tutorial.

Here get this one from the PROs:

http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1585

:D

Bugger the portal sky. Just have REALLY BIG windows ledges or have windows REALLY HIGH UP, so you can't look down:)

Alternatively, I would seriously advise you to have a look at terragen:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen

You can create some fantastic looking skyboxes in a matter of minutes with it. What I've done as well is setup a sun in the sky in terragen and synched it with the sun entity - a good way to get nice sunlight effects

Archived