Home

After the 14 days is up. Official word

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

there should be a read me txt file with your key. if not, email or visit SOE Tech support on the official site where they can issue a replacement key

DMUK

Hey guys, having read up on all of this, and what with being 5days into my free trial (and hooked!) I attempted to buy the full version yesterday.

I live in Birmingham, UK, BBIIIGGGG city. I managed to find ONE copy of the game in WHSmith. Thats it. PC World, HMV, Play.com, Amazon and a few others just cannot get hold of the game. HMV had three copies all returned due to CD key errors, so I snapped up the very last one and am picking it up today. Ok, so here is the question.

Are ALL copies of this game in the UK likely to have the CD-key error?

If I contact SOE and provide all the details, are they likely to send me a new key, and if so, how long do these things normally take?

I have until next Wednesday to get this sorted, after that my trial is up and I am worried I will lose all the hard work I have put into my carachter so far!

Discuss :rolleyes:

Okay, this is really annoying.

After being tempted into the game on the trial, my trial has now run out and I want to buy a key to play the game.

However no where in the UK stocks it!

How long do I have to wait for new stocks of the game?!!

I really don't want to lose my character and I'm not happy at having to wait so long. There's no mention of this issue on the SOE site. No one seems to care because it's not a problem in the US, but all the copies have been withdrawn in the UK.

Importing attracts duty and a lot of US sites won't ship it to the UK anyway. I'm not interested in 2nd hand accounts off ebay.

I've got the full game from the trial download. I don't need the box, but I'm happy to pay for a new key (at a reasonable price). Can't I just get a key from Lucasarts or SOE? It's annoying their online store will only ship to US addresses.

I'm also a bit annoyed at the usual rip-off-Britain prices.

$29.99 RRP in US

£39.99 RRP in the UK (aprox $71 !!!!!!!!)

At least some sites are offering it for £19 (aprox $34).

Even accounting for VAT, there's no excuse for such a huge mark up! :mad:

Why don't they just put the price of the game into the subscription and make the game free to download? :(

Guest DarthMaulUK

Try reading some of the other posts about the shortages etc. Once I am told the issue has been resolved, i will post on here. However, its worth trying naff retailers like WHSMITH, Woolworths, PC World, HMV, Virgin etc to see if they have copies - but pay NO MORE than £19.99 for it.

Knowing the way the industry works, you might see copies appearing on the shelves once Jump To Lightspeed is released, or just prior.

But sitting back and looking into this, it does seem to be a very crafty marketing ploy - something EA did with the Sims a long time ago.

DMUK

Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

However, its worth trying naff retailers like WHSMITH, Woolworths, PC World, HMV, Virgin etc to see if they have copies - ut pay NO MORE than £19.99 for it.

I've tried all of those in 3 different towns (some of them are big stores too), but no luck :(

But sitting back and looking into this, it does seem to be a very crafty marketing ploy - something EA did with the Sims a long time ago.

DMUK

It would make sense to make the game unavailable for a while if sales are low anyway, just to try and increase demand, especially on the release of JTL. However, to launch a trial and have that end with no ability to buy the game just means a lot of people are going to give up and play Everquest or something like that instead. To be honest I'm tempted to do the same as I'll have forgotten what I was doing in SWG and I might end up even feeling I'd be wasting my life by playing the game anyway (hence it would make sense for them to hook us trialists into the game quick to ensure we stay addicted :D).

Interestingly SWG is the 2nd most popular PC game listed on Pricerunner (Doom 3 being first). None in stock though.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/games/pc-games/

Guest DarthMaulUK
Originally posted by Daniel_Dyke

Tried MVC? They've got it for about £29.99.

The trial is poorly implememnted with little or no support, what there is is very sketchy and only works if you speak dev lingo.

Welcome to the world of Sony Online 'Entertainment'

It really isnt worth spending that much money on Galaxies though. I am waiting for Activision to get in touch with me about their 'plan' to sort this problem out. Of course Lucasarts blame Activision and they blame Lucasarts.

And when I say poor sales about Galaxies... i MEAN poor sales. Didnt even make the top 40 pc chart on launch but with little or no thought going into the launch - a trade mark of Activision on Star Wars titles - means that you just have to wait.

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

good stuff.

You have to remember. SOE tech support have better things to do like draw up pointless and useless documents on how to play galaxies if it doesnt work, make tea and pat each other on the back for providing the worst service i have seen considering you are paying for their peanuts!

DMUK

Originally posted by Daniel_Dyke

Tried MVC? They've got it for about £29.99.

WAY too expensive, especially when it's $29.99 in the US :(

Though it's £22.99 (inc postage) online at MVC and... out of stock :(

The trial is poorly implememnted with little or no support, what there is is very sketchy and only works if you speak dev lingo. [/b]

The trial is the same as the game on the retail CDs. It's the full game in a 2Gb download, just that it has a trial key which means a limit of 50k credits and expires after 14 days. Other than that, it's the same game, even downloads the latest patches. Hence all I need is the key.

But the keys are giving everyone some degree of trouble and there aren't many places to turn. SOE could only tell me tat the Gamesp department I wanted was troubleshooting/support. And it took them 2 e-mails before I understood.

Do you know it let me download it without taking me to the e-mail address entry screen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by BlackDragon

I am right in thinking that after the 14 days trial I do actually have to go out and buy the software aren't I?

It's not like, say, Eve-online, where you can download the software and subscribe straightaway without needing to buy the game from a store.

Well, it's not a new thing for SOE to make an expansion available to download. They have done it atleast once with the previous expansion for EQ. That was over a year ago.

Originally posted by BlackDragon

I am right in thinking that after the 14 days trial I do actually have to go out and buy the software aren't I?

Yes.

It's not like, say, Eve-online, where you can download the software and subscribe straightaway without needing to buy the game from a store.

Though SOE do downloads (e.g. the trial was available as a 2gig download), you still have to buy the game from a shop unfortunately.

Why on earth can't they work out a system of buying the game online for download or just be able to buying the key online? :(.

All I want is the key and I want to buy the game at non rip-off-Britain prices like the rest of the world.

Originally posted by DeadKenny1

Yes.

Though SOE do downloads (e.g. the trial was available as a 2gig download), you still have to buy the game from a shop unfortunately.

Why on earth can't they work out a system of buying the game online for download or just be able to buying the key online? :(.

All I want is the key and I want to buy the game at non rip-off-Britain prices like the rest of the world.

You have to buy the game for the key, you can download it, and as long as you have an account already can use it...

Originally posted by Vulgar

I just got the game today in WH smiths for £9.99 from what i read around here that a really good price for people worried about gettin ripped off

I've not seen it for sale in WH Smiths, not near me anyway.

The only place I've seen it for sale in the high street is in one Game store (at last) and it's way over £30.

Archived