Home

Problem with item description

Tanesh

My problem is that when I write my own description for an item, in game there appears a white square at every end of a paragraph when a new line follows. :confused:

Here, have a look: Screenshot

I use gff editor, because when I use the KotOR tool, the language ID is automaically set to 0, but I need 2. I also tried to write the description with KotOR tool and change only the language ID with the gff editor, but that doesn't work either. :(

I find that very disturbing and I'm thankful for any helpful advice. :)

Hm, okay, I thought there is another solution for this somewhere out there. ;)

I just wondered because I looked at some other mods and the descriptions actually had paragraphs, so I thought there was a secret modder thingy to do that ;) or it was because of my German version and worked normal for the English version. Anyway, thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

tk102 help me about that

this is his post :

------------------------------------------

Re: gff editor corrupt item name and description

Hello!

Let me explain my post. In GFF Editor, when you type the Description, and you press Enter for a new line, GFF editor will write two invisible characters: a carriage return character (ie. CR, in hex: 0D ) and a linefeed character (ie. LF, in hex: 0A).

But SWKOTOR only wants to see a Linefeed character, and the carriage return confuses it. So if you open up your uti file in hex editor, locate your description, then look for the CR+LF sequence (0D0A) and change the 0D to 20, which is a space. That way your description still has the same number of bytes and SWKOTOR will understand correctly.

I don't know if this is part of your problem or not, but you can try it out. I hope it helps.

--tk102

-------------------------------

I've tracked down the cause of the problem you describe in Kotor Tool.

When I parse the Description field in from the file, I have to replace each linefeed with a carriage return-linefeed combo for the text box to function correctly.

It turns out that when I put the text back into the data structure, I forgot to reverse the conversion! Such it what happens when the programmer should be sleeping instead of coding ;)

I am also in the process of adding selectable language/gender control to the fields that support it. I don't have plans to support multiple languages per field, despite the fact that the data structures do. At least not right now.... :)

By the way, what's the language and gender for the item you're working with? I ask because "2" would be the language ID for French with Neuter/Masculine gender. Here's a table, just in case:

Language Gender ID

------------ --------- --

English N/M 0

English F 1

French N/M 2

French F 3

German N/M 4

German F 5

Italian N/M 6

Italian F 7

Spanish N/M 8

Spanish F 9

Polish N/M 10

Polish F 11

Originally posted by jrc24

tk102 help me about that

this is his post :

------------------------------------------

Re: gff editor corrupt item name and description

Hello!

Let me explain my post. In GFF Editor, when you type the Description, and you press Enter for a new line, GFF editor will write two invisible characters: a carriage return character (ie. CR, in hex: 0D ) and a linefeed character (ie. LF, in hex: 0A).

But SWKOTOR only wants to see a Linefeed character, and the carriage return confuses it. So if you open up your uti file in hex editor, locate your description, then look for the CR+LF sequence (0D0A) and change the 0D to 20, which is a space. That way your description still has the same number of bytes and SWKOTOR will understand correctly.

I don't know if this is part of your problem or not, but you can try it out. I hope it helps.

--tk102

-------------------------------

Cool, it works at least for one language ID. :) I experimented with item descriptions in 2 languages (English and German), so I don't have to do everything twice for "international" use ;) , but in my hex editor only the first description appears. A pity. Nevertheless, thank you! :D

@ Fred Tetra: I tried to answer your pm, but your inbox is full. ;)

Archived