Home

Omg'z A Killing Glitch *spoilers*

kome566

Originally posted by Achilles

One of these days you're going to have to break down an give us a list of all your "fixes"

There are just too many to list... But giving the lightsaber its oomph back was a priority. :D

[Rant]

The only "Fix" I would truely want is to convert the whole game to the better West End Games D6 Star Wars PnP RPG system, of course if we did that all of us item modders would have to try new things because equipment was not what made a character in that system, your skills and stats was what made you... not items, they were an accessory... yes, but not the focus.

D20 Star Wars is too... D&D, a Monty Haul-esque event and a he who has the most powerful equipment wins, type game system where a character is the true accessory and the equipment is king...

Playing something Monty-Haul like that when you are 12 is fun and interesting but by the time you mature you would most definately want a game where the character is the focus and your equipment is just that... an accessory.

[/Rant]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RedHawke

There are just too many to list... But giving the lightsaber its oomph back was a priority. :D

[Rant]

The only "Fix" I would truely want is to convert the whole game to the better West End Games D6 Star Wars PnP RPG system, of course if we did that all of us item modders would have to try new things because equipment was not what made a character in that system, your skills and stats was what made you... not items, they were an accessory... yes, but not the focus.

D20 Star Wars is too... D&D, a Monty Haul-esque event and a he who has the most powerful equipment wins, type game system where a character is the true accessory and the equipment is king...

Playing something Monty-Haul like that when you are 12 is fun and interesting but by the time you mature you would most definately want a game where the character is the focus and your equipment is just that... an accessory.

[/Rant]

Is that something you could do by editing the character related 2da files? It seems if you dumbed down the items and increased attribute gain rate, skill points per level, and number of starting force powers, you could build a system more like the one you want.

Originally posted by Achilles

Is that something you could do by editing the character related 2da files? It seems if you dumbed down the items and increased attribute gain rate, skill points per level, and number of starting force powers, you could build a system more like the one you want.

No it would never work right, the WOTC D20 based PnP games tend to be Item Games by design... not a bad thing mind you, and still quite fun... but that is how their systems are made to be, I could alter files like crazy but it would still only go so far.

The older WEG SW D6 system as well as some of the other PnP RPG systems, like the Palladium system and the original Chaosium systems were character driven by design and fun to play. Yes they had items, but they had only so much a function and didn't go any farther, the character had to make up that difference.

I'll give an example: Will take a Jedi using a lightsaber in combat...

In D20 you have your Strentgth bonus added to your Feat bonus added to the Sabers attack bonus... the saber you are using is a large factor in scoring a hit, your connection to the force does nothing, and damage is the same Strength plus Feat plus the Sabers Dice of Damage and any other Damage Bonuses/Effects.

Now in the D6 system you had only your characters dice in Lightsaber Combat and your Dice in your Sense Force Skill combined to score a hit, the Saber had nothing to do with it, only your PC's skill and connection to the Force. The combat damage inflicted is your combined Lightsabers Damage Die Code and your Control Force Skills die Code.

In the D6 system it is your skills or connection to the Force that gives your PC their power.

I don't think there is any amount of tweaking to make the existing system more like the other... I just live with it as is... or should I say as I mod it to be! :D

And I'll do the same with KOTOR:TSL after playing it a couple of times! :D

Originally posted by RedHawke

I just changed the critical threat range in the baseitems.2da.

You can also change a ton of other things in there as well! :D

If I can find some time today (between a screaming kid) then I plan to dabble in this!

Archived