Home

*SIGH*...It was inevitable...

Guest Ms. Talon

Guest Ms. Talon

I know this isn't an XWA topic, but please allow the indulgence.

Those who have been here a while are probably familiar with our website, and our very unique RAPIER starfighter design. Well, in the new game "Tachyon: The Fringe" (A fun one, btw wink.gif The "Orion" fighter bears an uncanny resemblance! *Sigh*...It was inevitable, I guess!

Our RAPIER:

rapier.jpg

Tayhyon's ORION:

Tachyon.jpg

*SIGH*...

------------------

gototalon@home.com

http://members.home.net/gototalon

[This message has been edited by Ms. Talon (edited May 28, 2000).]

Guest TK421

If they've released a pic and tagged it to the Tachyon name they've probably already got some sort of legal shielding in place, though they'd probably say its different to yours enough not to be liable anyway.

Now that doesn't look very threatening wink.gif j/k

Guest Fondas

Ms. Talon, these are very beautiful spacecraft designs ( and I bet quite lethal too) wink.gif

I wonder, could you give us their technical specifications ?

------------------

The only place where success comes prior to work, is in a dictionary ! TZG+7

Guest TK421

From what she's emailed me the Rapier has TIE Defender class performance, E-Wing class Shield and Hull strengths and is far more advanced than StarWars craft.

I personally like the way the lasers are all grouped close together, it allows high accuracy lethal shots.

I'm currently attempting to create one for her at her request. This is gonna be a tough one.

------------------

--------------

"No no son, you gotta hit 'em in the head so they stay down, like this! *WHACK*"

TK's OPT Factory

Guest Ms. Talon

TK421, if it would make it easier, I had asked Darksaber many months ago, to make me one, and he had sent me an image of the model virtually complete!...The only thing missing was the short wing. But he has fallen out of touch and have not answered any of our e-mails since. If you (or anyone) knows how to get in touch with him, perhaps he can hand you what he's finished. I've sent him several e-mails but he has not answered! I wish I can just find out whether he will be able to finish it or if he can pass it on to someone else who will.

Some more Rapier info for others:

-It was designed by Alfred, my husband...it's his pet design.

-He explained it to me that it uses an advanced form of reactionless drive (no engine blast); it also flies in Star-Trek style 'Warp' as opposed to Star Wars style 'hyperspace.'

-It's technology was not deigned around Star Wars type, it's real weapons are guided energy-torpedoes.

-We would both LOVE to use it in XWA so we altered the specs for it to fit in to the game.

Again, if ANYONE can get a hold of Darksaber...PLEASE get him to contact me!

------------------

gototalon@home.com

Guest Ms. Talon

Now, a bit of info on the ORION (and other ships) in 'Tachyon: The Fringe':

-All the ships, including the attack-bombers, are faster and much more agile than those in XWA...and they have afterburners!

Even the bombers will fly rings around an A-Wing!

-The flight-models have a bit of inertia built in which makes targetting a bit more challenging.

-They can perform a VERY COOL 'slide' manuever...basically you hold down the 'slide' button and move the stick AND THE SHIP WILL POINT IN THAT DIRECTION WHILE FLYING IN THE DIRECTION YOU WERE ON ORIGINALLY!!! EVERYONE who has reviewed this game LOVES this feature! Using the burner+slide, you can literally rake a capital ship from stem to stern while flying sideways!!! Or, you can spin it to fire backwards at pursuing fighters while flying backwards! (I'm sure everyone has seen this manuever done in "Babylon 5" with their 'Starfury'...well, you can do it here!...WAY COOL!) Remember, though, the enemy ALSO has the 'slide'.

-You also have 'reverse-thrust'.

Actually, after playing "Tachyon" flying XWA craft again was a real let-down! (Blasphemy...I know!)

------------------

gototalon@home.com

[This message has been edited by Ms. Talon (edited May 30, 2000).]

I contacted Darksaber via ICQ for you Ms. Talon... here is his reply

ok thanks for reminding me, I post a reply and don't worry I'll get it done, I was finding it a bit difficult, but that been sorted no, so no need to worry about someone else doing it

Guest Ms. Talon

OK! That's great! Please relay to him that I wasn't trying to be a pest, but it was just that I hadn't heard from him for a long while and he did not return my e-mails; so I assumed he was no longer interested in finishing it. Please tell him I appreciate his efforts, but I wish he'd answer his e-mail!

------------------

gototalon@home.com

Guest TK421

Not a problem, I just want Ms Talon to get the best OPT and DarkSabre is somewhat more advanced than I am.... for now wink.gif

Though I must thank you Ms Talon, while experimenting with 3DS Max to try an create the smooth lines of the Rapier (which was tough but getting easier) I have discovered several new ways to build things, so thanks.

Guest TK421

Sounds like I better get my hands on Tachyon then, Afterburner-Slides were something I loved in WingCommander series.

Guest Ms. Talon

Hey TK421, you COULD always continue to build the .OPT anyways!?

P.S.: I don't recall being able to slide when I tried WC Prophesy, or in any other WC game! To be clear: In Tachyon the slide allow you to point/shoot in one direction WHILE FLYING IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT HEADING! I don't know any other space-sim that has this feature yet.

------------------

gototalon@home.com

Guest TK421

Oh I'll keep at it, I'll just stick on the backburner for a week as I'm quite busy at the moment, observe if you will.

Talon: The Rapier (Gunpod completed with weapon cavities, Cockpit basic shape)

Zraii: Shadows Of The Empire Skyhook (ANYONE who has GRAPHICAL data on this, PLEASE HELP!)

Zraii: Planetary Surface OPT (has kind of hit a dead end, got it into ACE but it wont save it as an OPT, get some damn error).

TK: Kilrathi Destroyer

TK: Klingon Bird Of Prey (looks GREAT in ACE but craps up in XWA)

TK: Light Personal Shuttle

Afterburner slides in WC happened when you held the burners down, then cut them off and pulled a very hard yaw or pitch manouver, not same as Tachyon but still fun!

[This message has been edited by TK421 (edited May 30, 2000).]

Guest decoy

Ms Talon DS is a litle picky about answering his e-mail. Which isn't that strange he get's tons of it and lately he has been bussy with the XWA UPGRADE project but after today he should get some more time for other stuff. I might be talking to quickly here but let me just say DS means well but he is verry, verry bussy i speak to him on dayly bases and he has probably even more work than i have and let me tell you i have ton's smile.gif I will ask him again about progress i actualy want to know my self it's a pretty nice design

------------------

SOB KNIGHT 1

Time Zone Gang forum time + 6 hours

"Only feel sorry about things you didn't do"

Star Wars Space Sim Guide

Guest Ms. Talon

*Patiently waiting for my Rapier*

Talon.JPG

DON'T I LOOK PATIENT!?

------------------

gototalon@home.com

Guest decoy

Hehehe well if DS doesn't have the time for it i will ask him if i could do it, i got my skills with this OPT-ing stuff (proud member of the XWAUP-project smile.gif)

------------------

SOB KNIGHT 1

Guest Ms. Talon

Hey yeah, what's up with this XWAupgrade? I JUST stumbled on to the site the other day, never knew of its existence before. The ships look AMAZING!!! Are they going to be available to the rest of us? How will these complex models run in the game, especially in BIG missions, like some of ours?

NICE WORK, PEOPLE!

------------------

gototalon@home.com

Guest decoy

They will come available for all but you will have to wait for them to be released in self installing patches like NCA. The first patch is the rebel fighter patch witch should be available in a month or 2. As for using them in big batles it should be posible but the minimal system requerments will go up because alot of the basic OPT's went from 200 faces to about 600 or even 700 faces. The extirior OPT's will go up to 1400 faces for the normal fighters and other biger ships could go up to 2500 faces but believe me it REALY looks good. If you want to know more about it ask on our forum we will be happy to explain all details smile.gif

------------------

SOB KNIGHT 1

BTW, that slide manoeuvre is called a "turn-'n'-burn" on Bab 5.

If anyone figures out a way to replicate it in XWA, I'll be looking for a Starfury.

In case anyone cares, I have a seet of stats for my personal Starfury that I've customized and adapted for use in XWA. As you can see; even without the single-thrust engines, it's still a lethal beastie.

-TIE Interceptor X10 manoeuvreability (b'cause the engines are on the wingtips).

-TIE Interceptor speed.

-A-Wing shields.

-Side-mounted laser cannons (yellow blasts).

-Chin-mounted ion cannons.

-Integrated x1 hyperdrive booster.

-Audio-output sensors (that play computer generated sound effects to track enemy ships; I can actually hear craft moving behind me).

-Interior of genuine corinthian leather. cool.gif (If you're going to fight an interstellar war, why not do it in style!)

------------------

Breath deep, seek peace --Traditional Dinotopian saying

Originally posted by Ms. Talon:

P.S.: I don't recall being able to slide when I tried WC Prophesy, or in any other WC game! To be clear: In Tachyon the slide allow you to point/shoot in one direction WHILE FLYING IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT HEADING! I don't know any other space-sim that has this feature yet.

It's a rather old feature that was started originally in WC3(well then again most reviewers these days seem to have been absent during those days of gaming) It was called "Auto-slide" and you held down the "capslock" key to hold your current heading while being able to turn your craft's facing. It was a bit overly unbalancing to say the least in terms of capships being way too easy to kill using it in the craft capable of pulling it off(The AI is hopelessly stupid in leading a target.)

I'm not so sure about speed scaling, but what exactly does Tachyon use to decide speed scales? Meters/sec or just relative units? Depending on, it's probably more of a relative change in speed compared to the X-wing series.

Guest Ms. Talon

Well, I'm not sure what the scaling is, but you definitely cover distances faster. But the agility of the Tachyon ships are definitely much higher...probably too much in the case of the bombers.

Anyways, the focus of the game is totally different from XWA (or other space-sims). It's a personal story as opposed to an epic one, and the antagonists are small, private navies...so don't expect many massive battles. But it's still a lot of fun and highly immersive environment, well worth the purchase.

------------------

gototalon@home.com

Guest Drakken

I've had Tachyon for about a month, solo is fun. Multi lags a bit, and players who learn the slide and side thrust technique just circle the enemy and pound away. Then it becomes a matter of aim and the usual lag. You can have true multi games that require teamwork or just dogfight. There are multiple sectors in Basewars, where each team gathers crystals, kills the enemy, upgrade ships and weapons, the destroy the life support system of a enemy base to win.

A big drawback to the game is the lack of mission making and the "map" in basewars rarely changes if ever (Always the same map when I played the past two weeks).

I don't think the game can be edited for new maps or ships, however, I think it may be hackable. I've seen a few people complain about the hulls of certain individuals ships suddenly regenerating back to 100%, and hulls are NOT capable of regeneration in Tachyon. Of course that could be just lag of some sort.

Another thing is that you can only choose from 11 ships to fly, that sux.

The AI is tougher, but AI wingmen are nearly useless in the beginning.

I've gone thru it once as a Bora recruit, and now am going back again as a Galspan recruit. Once that's over with, the game is dead for solo play. No new missions to download and add, and you can't make new ones.

I think Novalogic saw the editng being done to games like xvt and xwa, so they made the missions and ships etc into one big file, 373,996KB. No seperate files for models and missions redface.giffrown.gif ;(

[This message has been edited by Drakken (edited May 31, 2000).]

Archived