Home

Jedi Academy / WinXP Issues?

•-BLaCKouT-•

Heya,

Apologies if this is a frequent problem, I skimmed through the stickies and couldn't seem to find it.

I've had JA running fine on Windows '98 since it came out last year.

A few months ago I changed to WinXP Pro, but due to HDD space constraints, haven't installed JA until now.

Single player works fine, but the Multi-Player keeps locking up on me. It gets past the console, and goes full-screen. It displays the blue screen with Jedi Knight: JEDI ACADEMY... and just hangs there. I've tried it as installed and update-patched, same result.

Because I've had it running on my machine under 98, and because SP is fine, I know it's not a hardware problem. Are there any known (ie: obvious) issues between JAMP and XPpro?

Sorry if I'm being a dumbass, just point me to the solution and give me a pointy hat to wear.

Many thanks in advance...

B.

Okey-Dokey's...

I think I've found the answer. I say think because due to the random/moody nature of Windows, it might not work for you if you're having the same problem. This thread at Raven's forums pointed me in the right direction.

It seems the problem is ZoneAlarm. Here's what I did to get JA/MP working:

• Disconnect from t'internet

• Right-click on ZoneAlarm and select Shut down Zone Alarm

• Start Jedi Academy and select Multiplayer

It SHOULD start okay now

• Go to Setup and swtich Full Screen to Off

• Exit Jedi Academy

• Re-start Zone Alarm

When you start JA/MP next, Zone Alarm should ask you if you want to allow JAMP internet access and to act as a server. Click yes, obviously.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the problem was that ZoneAlarm was putting up these prompts, but Windows couldn't switch back to display them. Hence the lockage.

Once all that's done you should be able to go back to Full Screen mode if you want (I prefer Windowed myself) now that JA and ZA are talking to each other.

Hope this helps, if not hassle Raven/Activision ;)

Cheers,

B.

Archived