Home

Finally! A way how to unlock the framerate

Philboy

If you Host a Dedicated server, please do the following until a patch comes out! It will be let players play past the multiplayer lock if they have a problem.

Fps cap can be increased past 30 fps when u add /tps 80(or any number) to the command line in the battlefront server.ini file (for example: APP_COMMAND_LINE_BASIC=/win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 320 240 /nosound /tps 80) when making a server(dunno if its only in dedicated servers).

Edit: server needs to be shut down when making this change, also this has been tested and it works.

This message was brought to u by the best clan: NewRepublic

Normal users can also change the tick rate in options. It has been confirmed by the developers that it DOES make a difference in FPS. The confirmation is seen here: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5906&tstart=0

Is there a cap on this of 30? Or can it be set higher? If so, what is the impact of setting it higher? Is it only affecting the client's framerate or is it affectin something on the server as well?

No other game that I've hosted has ever had something like this. It makes no sense to me. Can someone explain the logic in locking client's framerate on the server? Is it a dirty way of getting around other issues? I don't understand.

Upping the server ticks does increase your bandwidth as the server is sending out more data packets per second to the clients. I don't know how much bandwidth SWB uses with the default settings, so I can't say if upping the ticks would overwhelm a server or not... probably not.

Ideally though... upping the ticks is not the ideal way to increase the FPS... the two are seperate beasts altogether, but do affect each other in some ways. It's a bit complicated to explain it... easiest way would be for LucasArts to simply unlock the FPS, this isn't a console we're playing on.

Originally posted by Philboy

If you Host a Dedicated server, please do the following until a patch comes out! It will be let players play past the multiplayer lock if they have a problem.

Normal users can also change the tick rate in options. It has been confirmed by the developers that it DOES make a difference in FPS. The confirmation is seen here: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5906&tstart=0

The devs only confirmed you can set it to 30 fps, not 80. Has anyone actually tried above 30 and confirmed it to work??

From the dev post

- PC Multiplayer Frame rate lock ? The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the ?Ticks per second? setting.

The Jetstream *BS* server has been on 30 tcp fps for about 24 hours. Had to set the bandwidth to 1mbps for only 16 player. to keep things optimal. Wondering what others experiences have been regarding optimal settings?

Also, I still see people confusing gpu fps with tcp fps. Other games (all Quake engine games such as Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast) do control tcp fps and default to 20. There is a Quake command to set the maximum tcp fps on the server then the client can issues a \snaps 20 or whatever command. 30 tcp fps = 1.5x the normal bandwidth used.

Archived