Home

Linux Game Server port? And poll for GSP's

GotGameServers

I am a GSP (game server provider) and I host my servers primarily on......  

23 members have voted

1. 1. I am a GSP (game server provider) and I host my servers primarily on......

• Linux (or other flavor of *nix)
    • Windows

1st off - no love for linux server providers huh? Typical.

I would put money on it that the majority of server providers use linux for its price and for its ability to run multiple servers effeciently vs windows.

It can only benefit a game developer to co-develop their linux dedicated server alongside their windows version. More servers to play on = more people playing and more game copies sold. By ignoring the linux server hosting people they are screwing themselves....

Enough rant tho lol - heres the poll....

well I doubt you will rent SWBF specific servers to people without a working dedicated server with admin control.

sure people who already have Linux servers want the tool...but its not like you can sell completely unctrollable servers to people. (and that is exactly what you will get with a port of the current ded. server)

which is why...to make everyone happy...they should fix it before they port it (or ideally hire another programmer and do them both at the same time)

I sure as hell hope someone from lucasarts takes notice and checks this poll - 12 to 2

12 GSP's prefer linux to 2 windows

Thats not saying one or the other is better - thats a topic for another day lol

And thats not saying that they use linux exclusively

Its just saying that 12 GSP's prefer linux to windows for their game server co hosting needs....

This whole thing is a joke. We have LA and Pandemic ppl replying to threads on other forums, no one from Pandemic joining the icculus.org mailing list yet, and the Windows server doesn't work anyway... try creating one inside a NAT boundary and joining it from the same subnet. Nope.

No documentation, no one at LA or Pandemic asking for input from the people they need to be asking (GSP's)...

I'm just utterly disappointed with the fact that LA and Pandemic haven't learned from their previous releases.

thats why i always open my games by using a hair-dryer on the clear label over the box opening. Screw bestbuy and the other companies that wont let you return opened softare.

I had my copy of swb for 2 days and returned it.

hairdryer on hot - blow over label for about 30sec or so (till label is hot) and lift off - if you wanna return it the sticker is still sticky and you just close box back up and seal again. Take back to best buy, use your 'honest' face and tell em it wasnt opened. lol

I got burned on a few other popular games that still dont have linux servers available like they said they were.

I sure hope someone from LA and/or Pandemic is reading this....

I'm going to relate a small story that happened late last week, that most of you GSP/Hosts know about, already, and do a little Q&A with BA (me, hehe):

The BF2 Dev team leader (andreas) came out and ASKED the community thru a mailing list how they wanted to have the linux binaries built for BF2, and ASKED for some input on certain functions and gameplay options.

This is happening SIX MONTHS BEFORE THE GAME WILL EVEN BE RELEASED!

Q. Who are they asking?

A. The GSP/Hosting community.

Q. Why ask them?

A. They are the ones that will be promoting and running the game.

Q. What happens when publishers and developers ignore these people?

A. They move on to other games created by developers who don't ignore these people.

Q. So what sort of server binaries are they providing?

A. Windows, Linux (new libstdc++), and BSD 5.x, and AMD64.

Q. What versions have been provided by LA/Pandemic?

A. Windows client files in exe form. No linux, no Bsd, no 64 bit.

Q. What kind of machines are predomatently used by GSP/Hosts?

A. Linux, BSD, 64 bit, and some Windows.

Not only that, there's an upcoming patch to be released soon.....

Q. Who will have the patch to TEST a few DAYS before it's certified? The members of that list - the GSP/Hosts. Why?

A. If the patch is bugged, or doesn't work correctly, feedback will be almost instant, correct, debugged, with possible solutions, and stack traces.

The moral of this post is to take note of who you are marketing to, and why, and what are you going to do to connect with the folks who are going to be your marketing and support when the TV commercials end? Sorry I'm being harsh, but we're now 2 weeks since launch and I would have expected far more out of LA/Pandemic than seeing links to posts on LA forums we wont even watch.

Archived