Home

Multiplayer 30 FPS Cap

stevea

Is there anyway to tell which servers are running at 30FPS+ ?. Can programs like ASE show this information?.

Honestly, this is probably the WORST thing that I have ever seen to RUIN a game.

Obviously this developer dosen't care about people actually enjoying the game. They just hide this by calling it "Ticks per second" so people wouldn't notice until it was too late.

Pandemic/Lucas arts, if you don't fix this I will NEVER buy another game from either of you again.

I am planning on emailing some TV shows like The Screen Savers and other Game shows to get some bad publicity for this complete clusterf%ck.

=HPSF=Doctor Doom out

Originally posted by Silent Bob

Are you serious Belan. Having it higher helps especially in a heavy fire fight.

Example: You go out of a building and there are 25 guys firing at your team, plus all your teamates firing. All those textures and polygons filling the screen, do you think you'll even get 5 fps with all that going on. If you have it above 60, and in that scenario, it might hit below 30.

If they uncap the FPS it should be fine, also the netcode. LOL.

If your system can handle intense graphics, then your fps's will remain maxed at 30. The cap doesn't affect performance in that sense.

Originally posted by efritz

And yes, 30 FPS is VERY NOTICEABLE versus 20 FPS even to the HUMAN EYE!

And to that I agree. Like I said the human eye can only SEE at 40 FPS. So, anything under 40 FPS and you would notice a difference. Anything above, and you're just tricking yourself into thinking you see a difference.

Originally posted by DarthBelan

And to that I agree. Like I said the human eye can only SEE at 40 FPS. So, anything under 40 FPS and you would notice a difference. Anything above, and you're just tricking yourself into thinking you see a difference.

Thats just wrong.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

you can try it yourself with most first person shooters.

limit the frames in call of duty with the /com_maxfps command to 40 and then try it with higher numbers. you will notice a difference. especially when turning ingame. of course your pc must be good enough to get more than 40 frames. vsynch should be disabled.

They are two diffrent things film or video is set to a low fps like 24 or some crap, because it blurs and sweeps to create speed perception. In Video Games FPS the higher the better. More FPS the more things can happen on screen. Computers don't use film tricks like blurring and smearing to trick your eyes.

Your PC has to draw every single thing you see as you turn to the right to blast an enemy. It cant blur the things your not looking directly at like grass ect.

FPS Frames Per Sec is is diffrent from Ticks per Second, TPS.

TPS is a server thing. It is a networking thing for back and forth information.

Hope this helps

Waiting For the Patch...

The Battlefront community can beat the 30 FPS cap, this is how:

The fix depends on server admins: they must use /tps in the server command line and set it to a reasonable number i.e. 60 or 70. When set to 60 or 70 that will match the frequency of most displays running at 1152 x 864 or 1280 x 960 etc.

I have been experimenting with my own server and fraps, the commandline works, you can get the servers above 30, the problem is that it seems like nobody is trying it. Unfortunately I can't experiment with bandwidth limitations, I do not know how much of a hit on bandwidth performance this causes, I doubt it is significant for the bigger servers.

The server browser needs to also be able to filter servers running different tps (or fps) settings. Some people will want smooth, high performance high tps, others might be limited by bandwidth or computer performance and will want the low 20 / 30 tps. Lets not be dumb about this, and offer people the choice!

Originally posted by Snowczar

The Battlefront community can beat the 30 FPS cap, this is how:

The fix depends on server admins: they must use /tps in the server command line and set it to a reasonable number i.e. 60 or 70. When set to 60 or 70 that will match the frequency of most displays running at 1152 x 864 or 1280 x 960 etc.

I have been experimenting with my own server and fraps, the commandline works, you can get the servers above 30, the problem is that it seems like nobody is trying it. Unfortunately I can't experiment with bandwidth limitations, I do not know how much of a hit on bandwidth performance this causes, I doubt it is significant for the bigger servers.

The server browser needs to also be able to filter servers running different tps (or fps) settings. Some people will want smooth, high performance high tps, others might be limited by bandwidth or computer performance and will want the low 20 / 30 tps. Lets not be dumb about this, and offer people the choice!

Yes Agreed. Severs can sace the day...

But the bugs some peeps get from higher settings eg, the getting in and out of ships, gun turrets ect. needs to be fine tuned to find the sweet spot. I have been in a 32 player server with 6 players. After more joined, getting in and out of ships is wiggy. Ship landings are wishy-washy sometimes and al the other things others have posted.

So servers try out the diffrent settings! :p

BUMP

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just not very bright or missed something, but I haven't seen anyone ask the obvious question: SINCE WHEN HAS SERVER UPDATE RATE HAD A DAMN THING TO DO WITH RENDERING FRAMERATE?

My PC should be rendering at its max FPS, regardless of how often it receives ticks from the server. The two are not and should not be linked in any way, period. Maybe people playing on ****ty consoles will put up with this crap; PC gamers will not. :mad:

[After doing some tests with my server I came back to seriously edit this previous post]

I run a stand alone server and there is no option in the GUI that lets you set the TPS. This is one of the reasons many servers haven't changed the TPS. Another is that you don't know you are only running at 20 FPS unless you run FRAPS. Most people probably think they are running at 30 but we are mostly running at 20.

I had to dig around on the net to find out how to change the TPS (so it's not trivial). Someone posted how above.

I did some experiments, first checking my FPS in single player (~60 most of the time) and then changing my server and logging into it and playing a bit.

There is no client side FPS cap. Mine was set at 30 but it ran as high as the server TPS setting.

On a high resolution PC, with a mouse for control, there is a noticable difference between 20, 30, and 60 FPS (at least).

60 FPS is nice and smooth (to me). You can wiggle your mouse and get a sense of your framerate. 20 FPS is noticably more rough, but you adjust after a while and the game experience is still enjoyable.

I enjoy this game in multiplayer at 20 FPS even though my computer can produce rates much higher. If it is running at 60 FPS then I would probably enjoy the experience 10% more, as long as the network wasn't hindered by it.

BUT, it must be really hard for people who come from playing 60 FPS or more games to adjust, because they are used to the silkyness. For them it stands out like a Wookie on the Death Star. I've been playing 3D games a long time and I've played my share of 10, 20, 30 FPS games so it's not hard for me to adjust. I've seen my share of Wookies.

I couldn't tell if the 60 TPS really bogged down the network since there wasn't anyone else playing on my server. I expect the bandwith requirement to scale with the TPS, so is a factor of 3 a big deal? I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I expect the server update rate and screen refresh rate are synchronized because the game was written for consoles. I don't think LA has any intention of changing this because they probably believe 20-30 fps is acceptable (good enough for consolers, right?). Console implementations dictating PC implementations is a disappointing trend in my view. With just a bit more planning they could have disassociated these two rates and also made the multiplayer UI much much better on the PC.

I'm setting my server to 40 TPS for now and see how it goes. Hopefully it is high enough to satisfy everyone but the vehicle entry problem and network load aren't too bad. Nobody has logged in yet even though it has 40tps right in the server name I might add!

It's too bad people's enjoyment of the game is apparently ruined by this. It's a great game yet people are citing all these things they hate about it that, to me, hurt it about as much as blaster fire hurts the hull of an AT-AT. On the 3 systems I have played it on I've barely had any problems at all, and I'm still enjoying the game at any frame rate.

Archived