Home

Massive Criticals broken?

Achilles

Hey all,

I'm trying something new this game by using critical strike feats. Redhawke was kind enough to explain how they work in a previous thread, however as I'm playing, I'm finding that their might be a slight problem.

The Opila crystal is supposed to give Massive Criticals, which according to my understanding, means that when I do make a critical hit, the damage should be multiplied by 2-12.

As I am monitoring the feedback log, it seems that my "massive criticals" never get above x2. I tried searching the Bioware forums for something on this, but my searches did not yield any results.

Could someone either set me straight or confirm that crystal is in fact broken?

TIA.

Actually from what I recall, Massive Criticals is simply bonus damage dice rolled along with your normal damage dice on roll that would score a critical hit, the multiplyer that is applied to the damage is set by the items X?. (X2, X3, X4, X5, etc.)

So all Massive Criticals 2-12 comes out to is an extra 2D6 damage that you will do on a Critical Hit with that weapon before the critical multiplyer is applied.

If I remember it correctly of course! :D

Originally posted by RedHawke

the multiplyer that is applied to the damage is set by the items X?. (X2, X3, X4, X5, etc.)

Right, so if my lightsaber's critical range looks like this:

17-20, x2-12

...then doesn't that mean that my multipler should be between 2 and 12?

Without Opila, my lightsaber's critical range would only be:

17-20, x2

:confused:

^^^^

If you look closer it actually is formatted like this;

17-20,x2 +2-12

17-20 = The Critical Threat Range

X2 = The Critical Damage Multiplyer

+2-12 = The Bonus Damage Dice Done With A Critical Hit

So a 2-16 (2D8) Damage Lightsaber with a 17-20 critical threat range, a X2 critical multiplyer and +2-12 massive criticals, when a critical hit is scored 2D8 + 2D6 are rolled for damage then multiplied by 2, giving a possible 8-56 damage, a far cry better than if you had no massive criticals with the same saber then you would only have a critical of 2D8 X2 with a possible 4-32 damage.

And that was all done without enhancement or strength damage bonuses too, which add on to the damage total before being multiplied. :D

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by BruntFCA

From what I can see, Critical Stike Feats don'e even work with lightsabres, only melee, so its three wasted feats. See my post on critical strike....

Critical Strike does work just fine with lightsabers. Here's an example screenshot of it in action:

Critical Strike with Lightsaber

As you can see it quadruples the critical threat range of the double-bladed lightsaber which has a 20-20 range normally. She has a Keen crystal in that saber, resulting in the 16-20 range.

Getting the critical threat range uses a rather odd method, you kind of add the multipliers together rather than, well, multiply them. :)

So for using normal saber with a 19-20 range and a Keen upgrade it would be:

19-20 --> Normal range

17-20 --> Critical Strike (x2)

15-20 --> Imp. Critical Strike (x3)

13-20 --> Master Critical Strike (x4)

11-20 --> Keen (x2)

...resulting in a final threat range of 11-20 to score a critical hit.

And for a double-bladed one with a 20-20 range and Keen upgrade it becomes:

20-20 --> Normal Range

19-20 --> Critical Strike (x2)

18-20 --> Imp. Critical Strike (x3)

17-20 --> Master Critical Strike (x4)

16-20 --> Keen (x2)

...resulting in a final threat range of 16-20 to score a critical hit.

As you can see, you take the initial threat range span (2 for a normal saber, 1 for a double-bladed) and subtract that for each multiplier.

Archived