Home

Help with sound for new dialog

Achilles

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a snag that I ran into tonight. I'm creating a dialog using TK102's Dlgedit (v.1.0.2). I downloaded and installed the sound extracting/editing software referenced in the Guide for the Newbie sticky.

I decompressed the .wavs that I wanted to edit. I edited them. I recompressed them. I gave them unique numbers so as not to conflict with existing .wav files. I referenced the new .wavs in the dialog.

I tried to test the dialog. The dialog works, but the sound does not. Well...kinda. Some of the wavs are referenced (unedited) from other parts of the game. Those work fine.

All of my custom .wavs are skipped over. On a whim, I renamed the .wav files to overwrite existing .wavs and made the necessary changes in the dialog. Again, I dropped everything into the Override folder and fired up my game to test it again. No dice...same problem.

The dialog is good and the scripts are firing. The problem appears to be the .wav files (based on what I can find). The .wavs will play in GoldWave and Miles Sound Studio. Also, I checked the compressed files against the uncompressed masters, just to make sure that compression did take place.

At this point it's 4am and I'm giving up for the night. Please chime in if you know which step(s) I'm missing here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

As an experiment, take an untouched file that plays from your dialog and decompress and recompress it. If it no longer plays, then you know it is likely not the editing but moreso the header information. The files that come with the game appear to have been MP3 encoded using the LAME 3.93 (http://lame.sourceforge.net/ ), if that is of any help. I don't have any info on MP3 headers, but perhaps you can find a tool that reads the pertinent info out, or do as I do and use a hex editor :)

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that the file still plays in the game.

The bad new is that it adds a 20+ second delay to the dialog. In other words, once it plays the dialog freezes for about 20 seconds and then I can select my response.

I was sure to install the lame.dll before starting the project, so I'm hoping that's not it.

Anymore ideas?

OK I might have missed something, but you put the wavs into streamwaves folder right. Also in the general properties of the dlg you have to check "skippable" so the you can skip the dialog if you choose to(otherwise it will get real boring waiting for the line to change) ;)

I use Miles Sound Studio to decompress and compress the wavs(the files should be playable even uncompressed But thats not ideal for releaseing, even the short files can add up quikly)

No, I put them into Override.

Again, I dropped everything into the Override folder and fired up my game to test it again.

Skippable is selected and is working. So well in fact that a majority of the entries are automatically "skipped" (they flash by, immediately prompting me for my response).

I am also using Mile Sound System, as recommended by Darth333 in her sticky. *shrug*

Again, because it only skips my edited .wavs, I'm thinking it has something to do with them, but:

1) It rips past my test too. Even if there was something wrong with the sound, the dialog should still show my text right?

2) The .wav names are consistent with the naming scheme (I even renamed them to replace existing .wavs).

Based on your initial question, I'm going to give it a spin with the .wavs in the soundwaves folder instead of Override. Wish me luck!

EDIT: IT WORKS!! Putting the files in streamwaves seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks, T7nowhere!

Originally posted by tk102

Step 9 :)

You know, I got as far as the .lip files and just assumed that if my issue hadn't been addressed by that point, it probably wasn't going to be.

First off, I should know better than to assume. Secondly, I should know better than to mod at 4 in the morning :D

Thanks for the help guys!

Archived