Home

Some unused vehicles discovered - plus info on map vehicle data

Drawde1

After reading some of the posts here about vehicles seen in screenshots but not in the game, I had a look through

the files in the "side" directory and found many filenames which would indicate that some, at least of these vehicles

still exist in the game's data files - the Droid MTT, Imperial Shuttle, and the Rebel Hovernaut (whatever that is). I think it may be possible, with some work, to add them to the existing game maps.

- Map .lvl files contain references to the vehicles used within them; e.g cis_hover_aat, all_hover_combatspeeder. Vehicle spawns seem to work like BF1942 in that they have a list of vehicles to spawn depending on what side controls their location. For example, a spawn point might spawn either a combat speeder, AT-ST, fighter tank or AAT.

You can modify the vehicle names in these files with a hex-editor, however doing this simply causes the vehicles not to spawn if they are a type which doesn't normally appear in that map. I'm guessing that you'll also need to edit mission.lvl

(see below).

- The 250KB file mission.lvl contains data on all the "mission variants" including sides, troop/vehicle types, for the

various maps.

I'm guessing that to add a new vehicle you would have to first edit the mission file to change the vehicle type of one of the spawn points, then edit mission.lvl to change one of the vehicle types for that mission (or add a new type, if this is possible)

I'll experiment with replacing the Droid AAT on the Naboo Plains map with the MTT and see what happens.

This is a list of the vehicle names I've found:

# - not used in the game, but exist in the data files

all_fly_xwing

all_fly_ywing

all_fly_snowspeeder

all_walk_tauntaun

all_hover_combatspeeder

#all_hover_hovernaut

imp_hover_speederbike

imp_hover_fightertank

imp_walk_atst

imp_walk_atat

imp_fly_tiefighter

imp_fly_tiebomber

#imp_fly_trooptransport

rep_hover_speederbike

rep_hover_fightertank

rep_walk_atte

rep_fly_jedifighter

rep_fly_gunship

cis_hover_stap

cis_hover_aat

#cis_hover_mtt

cis_walk_spider

cis_tread_hailfire

cis_fly_maf

cis_fly_droidfighter

cis_fly_geofighter

Map-specific vehicles: (Only available on the map in which they occur, as the models/textures

are stored in the map .lvl file)

all_hover_skiff

gun_walk_kaadu

nab_bldg_fambaa_shield

nab_hover_gianspeeder

bes_fly_cloudcar

I've tried a number of hex-editing tweaks to the mission files and so far none of them have worked.

I tried replacing the AATs on Rhen Var and Naboo with MTTs (editing both missions.lvl and the actual

map .lvl files) and in most cases it simply crashed the game. The best result I got was with the Naboo

map where I could get the game to load, and the MTT actually showed up on the CIS spawn point vehicle list -

however, the vehicle did not actually appear in-game.

I've given up for the time being, hopefully Pandemic will release some official tools in the future (the indications

are that they will, though -when- is another question), and the game still has plenty of replayability even without

the missing vehicles.

Going by some of the filenames, the "Imperial Transport" seems to be the Shuttle (3-winged design) rather than the actual Transport (a larger, more boxy-looking ship).

I've no idea what the Rebel "Hovernaut" is, but in the maps it is the Rebel equivalent of the AT-AT/AT-TE/MTT, so presumably it is big, heavily-armed and acts as a mobile spawn point.

I do think that the vehicle lists for some of the maps could do with tweaking - apart from the 3 unused vehicles, it's a shame that a number of vehicles only appear in one map, the hailfire droid and skiff for example. I agree that the battles which are based on events on the film (e.g Endor, Geonosis, Hoth) should only have the vehicles which were actually there, but the "non-film" battles (e.g Rhen Var, Clone Wars on Tatooine) could definitely do with a greater variety of vehicle types.

By the way, I am not really what you would call a "Star Wars fan" though I do like the "style" of the SW universe. I have seen some of the films, but most of my knowledge is based on playing other SW games such as the X-Wing series, so I apologise if I'm not too knowledgable on some subjects :)

If someone does figure out how to make new maps of some of the areas, or adjust current ones, make all of the maps bigger! It's impossible to fly a fighter around on current maps, and even more impossible to cruise around with a LAAT/1 without getting screamed at. Hoth is a big map, why the heck aren't some others? Hoth has at least SOME room for the snowspeeders to fly...

Update:

#all_hover_hovernaut

is actually the cockpit _bldg for the at-at on hoth.

_bldg = anything enterable by players.

#imp_fly_trooptransport

is actually the player stow away on spire map.bild19.jpg

The size and height of the maps are editable but there are around 300 _barriers to alter in any given map. Give it time luke.... , Ill have a modded hoth in a few days. For now check out the Hoth Map Mod topic for quick editing/mod tips.

Archived