Home

Hoth X-wing Mod released

subs0nic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually a little more work than that, you have to make sure that the word your replacing is larger or the same amount of characters as the item your putting in. IN other words, you cant in any file, replace _weap_spear with rep_weap_inf_bigthingthatkills_alot if the word is shorter than the one your replacing you must put periods(zeros) in hex to keep the item your swapping EXACTLY the same amount of characters.

Hope this helps.

Im replacing the name twice.. I dont know if Im supposed to be doing that.. like for example..

PROP <‹ 10.0 PROP akE*all_fly_snowspeeder PROP ¬í6˜all_fly_snowspeeder inst„ INFOl

you see how it has the "all_fly_snowspeeder" thing twice? I always replaced that twice with for example "all_walk_tauntaun" so it would read...

PROP <‹ 10.0 PROP akE*all_walk_tauntaun PROP ¬í6˜all_walk_tauntaun inst„ INFOl

is that right?

Originally posted by kingguru

It actually a little more work than that, you have to make sure that the word your replacing is larger or the same amount of characters as the item your putting in. IN other words, you cant in any file, replace _weap_spear with rep_weap_inf_bigthingthatkills_alot if the word is shorter than the one your replacing you must put periods(zeros) in hex to keep the item your swapping EXACTLY the same amount of characters.

Hope this helps.

so where do I put the periods at? can you give me an example please?

Originally posted by seabass901

The size? Im not shure if I am or not.. Im just replacing the names.

Depends on how you're doing it.. if you select 'all_fly_xwing' and hit copy, then select 'all_fly_ snowspeeder' and hit paste, you'll lose the extra bytes that make the difference in length between the two. Edit it over manually and blank the rest out with blank bytes and you should be ok, if not your problem lies elsewhere.

Originally posted by subs0nic

Depends on how you're doing it.. if you select 'all_fly_xwing' and hit copy, then select 'all_fly_ snowspeeder' and hit paste, you'll lose the extra bytes that make the difference in length between the two. Edit it over manually and blank the rest out with blank bytes and you should be ok, if not your problem lies elsewhere.

First off thank you both for helping me.. Thats the problem.. How do I add extra bytes?

Im replacing the name twice.. I dont know if Im supposed to be doing that.. like for example..

PROP <‹ 10.0 PROP akE*all_fly_snowspeeder PROP ¬í6˜all_fly_snowspeeder inst„ INFOl

you see how it has the "all_fly_snowspeeder" thing twice? I always replaced that twice with for example "all_walk_tauntaun" so it would read...

PROP <‹ 10.0 PROP akE*all_walk_tauntaun PROP ¬í6˜all_walk_tauntaun inst„ INFOl

is that right?

Your example is incorrect:

PROP....akE*all_fly_snowspeeder.PROP

To:

PROP....akE*all_walk_tauntaun.PROP

It should be:

To:

PROP....akE*all_walk_tauntaun...PROP

Note the blank spaces after tauntaun. I personally put in the blank spaces by going over to the hex side of the hex editor and entering zeros over the bits I want to remove.

Originally posted by subs0nic

Your example is incorrect:

To:

PROP....akE*all_walk_tauntaun.PROP

It should be:

To:

PROP....akE*all_walk_tauntaun...PROP

Note the blank spaces after tauntaun.

Oh ok. thanks. lemme try that.

go non hex and copy paste a .

the periods are 0 in hex.

you must replace all characters with 0 to fill holes if the weap your swapping is less than the same size in characters. If its more than the amount of the original weap_inf items name, it will Fail to Desktop.

hmm tell me exactly what your trying to replace and ill post the answer, just the imp_inf name is ok, ill post exactly what you need to do to make it work, otherwise download the Hot map mod and look in the mission.lvl file for the units(who loads on what map) and in hot1.lvl to see how i moved things, removed things and made about 20 unused things be vehicle spawn, and turrets.

in reply to :ok. In the hex editor it says

akE*all_fly_snowspeeder PROP ¬í6˜all_fly_snowspeeder inst„

Im trying to change that to where it will spawn taun tauns there.. so I put.

akE*all_walk_tauntaun...PROP ¬í6˜all_walk_tauntaun...inst„

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

you have

akE*all_walk_tauntaun...PROP ¬í6˜all_walk_tauntaun...inst„

but should have

akE*all_walk_tauntaunPROP ¬í6˜all_walk_tauntaun...inst„

see how all_fly_snowspeeder is 19 characters and all_walk_tauntaun is 17 character fill the 2 extra spots with not ..

This will keep your file size un changed:) keep posting ill try to help:)

Originally posted by Vigil

Okay so.. how do I give my ewoks blasters now? They need blasters. :)

This whole editing in hex thing is way above me... I feel so dumb.

V

Sorry to say, but they still get owned even with blasters. :)

Don't be afraid of hex, it's your friend. :D Load up ewk.lvl in a hex editor and scroll right down to the bottom, look for where it says ewk_weap_inf_spear and change it to all_weap_inf_rifle. Now if you load up Endor, the Ewoks will (occaisionally) use their blasters. Also, if you downloaded my Ewok/Wookiee mod, you will now be able to play as an Ewok with a blaster. :) Have a look through the files and see what other weapons you can give them (but back up your files first!). ;)

ok.. I dont know if this is what you ment but I just tried this and it crashed.

akE*all_walk_tauntaun...PROP ¬í6˜all_fly_snowspeeder inst„

do I need to changr all of the snowspeeder lines to match? because I have only been changing this one line.

It'd probably be a good idea to download either my or kingguru's Hoth mods and see exactly how it's meant to look.. I'm pretty sure this exact line is changed in mine.

Okay. SO I opened up ewk.lvl and did a search for ewk_weap_inf_spear and there are three entries. Do I edit them all?

Well, I know I'm not supposed to edit them all, because I tried that and the game crashed at the mission startup screen. :)

How do you determine which of the three to edit?

I'll go look around and see if I can figure anything out.

V

Archived