Home

New test .lvl extraction tool available

luck3y

Update 11/0 version 0.0.7

First mesh extraction attempt. Some work, some don't, try it and see!

You need meshviewer from the directx sdk or some other 3d app that can open / import direct x .x files.

http://www.zaptillion.net/swbf/extract.zip

Update 11/03 version 0.0.6

Some texture extraction bugfixes

Hi All,

I've been working on an extraction tool for .lvl files. It currently only supports full extraction of dds textures and the extraction of compliled lua from the archive, but it does recognise a lot of the other structures in the lvl files, and I'm working hard writing functions to save / convert this data too!

You can try it out here: http://www.zaptillion.net/swbf/extract.zip

Basically, you extract the zip, and you'll see a file called extract.exe. Its a command line untility, so you go to a cmd prompt and run it on a swbf .lvl file like this

extract geo1.lvl

It'll print what its extracting and run, when done, you'll have a directory full of files (textures and .lub files at the moment).

I'm still finishing some of the texture formats (some of them aren't exactly right at the moment, but most of them work!) Source is included.

And read about it here:

http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Special thanks to Riley75 for his reseach expertise!

Let me know of any bugs / things you'd like to see in a tool like this.

They should be in the same directory where you ran extract.

I usually make a directory (say c:\swbf) , copy the .lvl file and extract.exe in there, then

cd \swbf

extract geo1.lvl

all the extracted files will be in c:\swbf\

They're directx textures, you need a tool too edit view them, I use irfanview to view them, photoshop and paint shop pro and others all hve plugins to edit them.

I'm not a skilled skinner, so after that I don't know what to tell you :(

If I can get it into a texture editer, I can do some skinning (I was a skinner for Jedi Outcast/Academy).

But uh... this irfanview... is it free for download (legally, that is)?

I have PhotoDeluxe, which I used for Jedi Outcast/Academy skinning, but I don't think it can open .dds files.

Some questions now, perhaps for future versions:

I really want to put some better sounds in. Would it be possible for an extracter to extract the sound files, so they could be replaced?

And, I also want to change the units' weapons, skins, classes, health, speed, etc., so is it possible to extract the files that contain these settings?

(I know this is just an early version, but I'm just curious what's possible.)

This tool will really help the modding community. :)

Originally posted by TK-8252

I really want to put some better sounds in. Would it be possible for an extracter to extract the sound files, so they could be replaced?

Yes.

And, I also want to change the units' weapons, skins, classes, health, speed, etc., so is it possible to extract the files that contain these settings?

Yes!

I'm planning on complete extraction of all of the lvl files. If nobody else steps up, I'll be doing repacking too :/

I found the textures for the Imperial Officer. Interesting... :)

Questions: what are .lub files, and can they currently be opened and how?

You can't do much with those right now. I'm working on another tool to decompile the lua code :/

http://www.lua.org/ for more info on the lua language.

Originally posted by luck3y

Basically, you extract the zip, and you'll see a file called extract.exe. Its a command line untility, so you go to a cmd prompt and run it on a swbf .lvl file like this

Let me know of any bugs / things you'd like to see in a tool like this.

i dont know what is a comand prompt or how to open it, could you make this like a winzip extractor? (in next versions) so that it could be easier.

If you have BF1942 i mean a tool like .rfa extractor WinRfa

Originally posted by LightNinja

i dont know what is a comand prompt or how to open it, could you make this like a winzip extractor? (in next versions) so that it could be easier.

If you have BF1942 i mean a tool like .rfa extractor WinRfa

Yeah, maybe at some point, but for now we're all working on figuring out how the rest of the game data is stored.

Archived