Home

Vader breath sound loop

obijon1138

Is there anyway to make a sound loop attached to an NPC?

Like Darth Vader's breathing machine.

Working example: the sentry or interrogator droid. They have .wav files in their sound directory that are the reference to the ambient sound they put out when nearby.

How does the game engine know to run these loops (command?)

I would like to know how to get the same effect for Vader.

Thanks

Eh...just another SP code roadblock for the mod community. Well I have discovered so far that character class is hardcoded and now this.

I don't suppose they will ever release it. Even though they have exhausted the Quake 3 engine.:(

I guess people would be going out making all kinds of SW games if they did. Then they would have no control...it would be anarchy! CHAOS! AHHHHHHHHH!:D

Would this be a co-op team map? Such as an SP map set up with bots (opposing team) that a player could join on the server with others on the same team and complete the objectives. That would be great!

I am working on a co-op SP mod but I am having trouble with characteristics that are encoded out of reach to the average editor.

Maybe there are other methods...such as tricking the program.

Computers are only as smart as you allow them to be. It's a matter of learning how to lie to it.:p

Actually it's a code modification, not a map. It's just setting up the system to get things to run on the defualt SP maps and the maps of the Dark Forces mod.

Basically, the players just battle thru the map(s) against the NPCs, just like in SP, objectives and all.

Originally posted by razorace

Yeah, that's why I'm working on getting the SP maps to run like the SP game in MP. Made great progress so far.

It must be a huge amount of work. Just the other day I heard reports soundsets don't work in func_statics rotated with a script in MP, whereas they work alright in SP. I haven't tested this myself, though, but if there are differences like that, your work, if succesful, is a real heroic deed.

Yeah, I've already dumped thousands of lines of code on it already. But it's getting there. A lot of the maps are at least playable at this point.

I've never heard of that problem before. Is it a problem whenever the object is script rotated, or just script moved?

I was thinking that it might be possible to run looped sounds on maps. This seems apparent. What would stop us from running the breathing loop as a sound in the room itself. Therefore we'd hear Vader's breathing, even if it isn't on Vader himself.

Yes? No?

If it were to be done that way you would have to look up the ambient soundfile for the map or scene and mix it in. I could try that for you.

There is an ambient folder which usually has the background sound loop for the map placement. Jungle sounds, ship control sounds, water movement, etc. Or place the loop in Vader's position on the map.:D Which I'm not sure how to do.

But what I would need would be action movement. Where you would be constantly moving with him in action on the map.

Archived