Home

Mods To start out later

test

Originally posted by SConrad

Lack of energy of persuading interest for a tool most modders seemed to *shrug* off - yes. Cryptic and evasive - no. I do wonder how you would think of us that way.

I maintain my opinion that KISS is the tool for taking KotOR-modding to the next level - but that might just be me.

I apologise if that statement offended you, that was not my intention, but it is an honest statement of my dismay... Right after KISS was announced there was little in the way of usable instructions, or understandable documentation, at least for those who are completely clueless about programming anything... please let me explain;

Your tool isn't on many of our machines because, unless you have massively changed it recently, it is far too complex for most modders to use... it requires a form of scripting, and this is the single biggest roadblock you could possibly put in for people... hence KISS becomes unusable and therefore interest wanes.

Let me elaborate further, The lack of a GUI, along with the scripting is far too much for most modders to understand, let alone even attempt, I had only one C++ class and that was some years ago... it took me a fair while to begin to understand the NWN/KOTOR scripting language to the point that I could do what I want for a mod, modding done for entertainment purposes mind you. Now if you want to add your mod with KISS you have to learn another scripting language just to install a mod, all for the sake of mod compatability, is asking too much from the majority of modders, scripting intimidates people, very much so!

I have had so many PM requests for help about scripting, and many, many of them who just could not get it, you are losing those very people... perhaps if a GUI could be constructed to do all the intimidating scripting in the background. Then you would have all of those scriptingly challenged modders pulling you up on their shoulders carrying you through the forums and hailing your name. :)

I understand if this isn't possible, but this is the roadbump in KISS, one that is unfortunately impossible for many to learn... for most people, editing a 2da is one thing, scripting is wholly different, and, no matter how many tutorials there are, a quite intimidating and daunting task.

Originally posted by SConrad

As for "joining the community", I made an attempt. Problem is, I spent most of the time exploring the engine and aiding in developing KISS rather than making mods. I'm no texturer - my strength is the programming and the scripting. I even offered the modders around here to convert their mods to KISS, and thus nullify the whole compatibility issue. No luck, there, either. I lost interest and headed back to a modding community for another engine.

I'm back, though, and I'm still more than willing to help in introducing KISS to modders and answer any questions.

Again, SConrad I am sorry if I offended you.

Sorry, tk, but I just want to reply a few things to RedHawke's post;

We're considering how to make it more user-friendly, but in the end, it'll always be a script-based program. A GUI is possible to make, yes, and we'll think about it.

Also, anyone's welcome to provide ideas on how to make it better/easier.

Archived