Home

A cantina, some ale and a nasty sandstorm

IlikeFandango

For a time, Nadira did not answer. She seemed deep in thought. Suddenly, she stirred and looked at Raphael again. A small smile came over her face.

"You have given me more than I expected," she said. "You are very open about your past." She shifted slightly in her seat. "Therefore I find it difficult to do otherwise."

"I was a princess on my planet," she said. "My father, Valter was king. When I was seventeen, a band of mercenaries broke into the palace and killed my mother, Rayna. My father and I escaped before they could find us. To prove that he was not afraid of them, my father mooved us back to the palace. In the end, he too was killed.

"When I turned nineteen, my father was struck down by a man I once thought of as a friend. Adar. He tried to kill me as well, but I escaped. He had, no doubt, expected this. Any ships my parents kept for the purpose of escape had been sabotaged. The one I took malfunctioned not two days after I left the planet.

"I drifted for a while, the cloaking device remaining intact and active. There was nothing I could do to call for help or deactivate my cloaking device. After three days, I felt a heavy jolt as my ship was hit by another. My ship began to destabilize, but the ship that had run into me managed to get me out before it was completely lost."

She fell silent for a moment. Then, with a deep breath, she continued.

"The captain's name was Oren," she said. "He took me to Coruscant and I met with the Senate, calling their attention to my problem. When an assassin attempted to take my life, the Jedi got themselves involved. One master noticed my Force sensitivity and requested permission to train me. His request was rejected, but he began to train me anyway.

"I learned quickly. In the end, the Jedi who had been training me was cast out of the Jedi Order. He had disobeyed orders, but it mattered little to him. When I was fully trained, he went out on a mission alone and was killed. I later learned that he had been fighting Jedi. After this, the Jedi Order seemed to accept me, but I could tell they were keeping me on a leash. They wanted their eyes on me at all times.

"Around this time, I learned that Oren was on Coruscant at the moment. I went to him and requested quarters on board his ship. I wanted to convince the Jedi in some way that they didn't need to watch me. In the end, they cast me out as well.

"It has been three years," she finished. "I still travel with Oren. We crashed here and I came into town, hoping to find a junk yard. Then, the sandstorm hit and I ducked in here."

"My final goal," she said slowly, "I think would be to regain my throne. Adar has taken it and co-rules with his close friend, Lachlan. I can't leave my people under their leadership. My homeworld will become a sad place if I do."

She fell into a deep silence, her eyes having lost focus. She was lost deeply in thought.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Raphael held his silence, knowing that talking of one's past was difficult, and brought back things best left forgotten. He thinks back to his own past, to what it was like with his mother and father... what if was like before Deah had chosen him, his family, his country. A few minutes pass, and Raphael turns his attention back to the matters at hand.*

Raphael: I see. You and I, we are not quite so different, hmm? Ousted by enemies, betrayed by friends...

*Suddenly the door opened and a tall human man walks in quickly and glances with a piercing gaze around the cantina. He is dressed in a black hooded robe, dark leather gauntlets, and black boots. He seems to be searching for something....or someone. After he looks around, he walks directly to the owner of the cantina and mumbles a question. The owner responds quietly, almost as if he is unsure of the answer he just gave the stranger. Then man then nods and strides over to a booth on the wall opposite from the cantina entrance. The stranger then sits down and calls for the waitress to bring him a drink.*

"Similar circumstances are sometimes found in some unusual places," Nadira said, nodding as she looked around the cantina. Her eyes followed the newcomer as he sat down. When he was seated, she looked again to Raphael. An idea was forming in her mind.

"This sandstorm may not let up for a bit," she said, "but when it does, I have an idea. If you're interested, that is."

"Oren's ship is very large and has an equally large crew," she continued. "In fact, I'm amazed it wasn't destroyed completely when we crashed. As it is, we are short several crew members. The crash was enough to ensure that. Would you like to travel with us? With the crew shortage, I'm sure Oren could find a place for you."

*The stranger looked over at Raphael's company, seeming to take an interest in why she was there. The stranger then thought to himself, had he seen her before or perhaps she merely reminded him of someone. He sat thinking to himself, so many people he had met and yet never really gotten to know any, he spent too much time traveling on missions and never stopped to think how what he did affected others.*

*Raphael looked around again, feeling as though he were being watched. But there was no one in there familiar. Of course, a few people threw sidelong glances at him, but that was to be expected. Raphael had learned to expect such things, clothed in his strange attire. But sometimes it was best not to reveal himself, both physially and mentally. Then why had he done so with Nadira? It was an irrational trust; he never told his employer about his past. Things were getting strange, fast.*

*As Raphael's companion leaned forward to hear what he had whispered to her, the man sitting by the wall noticed the lightsaber she carried. He then frowned, for he now remembered the woman. Her name was Nadira. The name made him shiver. The one mission he had failed. The man quickly pulled up his hood as Nadira looked around hoping...no, praying that she had not seen him. He had been sent to Coruscant to kill this woman. He almost had succeeded, but when he went to actually attack he could not finish the job. He did not know why, he was an assassin then and had killed many before. Yet he had sensed something in her that made him not able to kill her. After he returned, his master was going to kill him for failing, but he begged for his life. And now, he thought, that is why I ended up here, a second chance...A second chance to do something that I know in my heart I cannot do.... The man quickly looked away, he knew that Raphael had noticed him staring. "I cannot do this" he muttered to himself. The only problem was, he would surely be killed if he returned to his master in failure again. And if he even went to leave, Nadira might see him and recognize him. The man was unsure what to do.

"Excuse me for a moment," Nadira said suddenly. She stood and went to the table of the man who had been watching her as she spoke with Raphael. She sat down across from him and stared into the darkness that hid his face.

"Adar sent you, didn't he?" she said softly. "You tried to kill me on Coruscant." She smiled. "Don't be afraid. I will not hurt you." Her smile faded. "Adar can't be happy with your failure. He has tried to kill you once, has he not?"

The man looked up as Nadira stood. As she approached, he felt like running out of the door right at that moment into the sandstorm. He was not sure what to do. Then Nadira spoke, and he was not sure whether or not to believe her. He looked towards the door and then back to her and spoke quietly. "I did go to Coruscant to kill you, that is true. And when I arrived, I could not finish the mission and I am not sure why. Perhaps the Force had something greater in store for you and simply prevented me from killing you, I do not know, but something inside me kept me from finishing the job. Adar nearly killed me and I pleaded with him to give me a second chance. Since then I had been imprisioned within his stronghold as punishment and a few days ago he had me released and told me I was to try again. I knew I could not kill you, but I left anyways hoping that I could escape him. Do not ask me why I came here, perhaps it is because Adar will surely send someone else after you and I feel I should try to help you after I nearly killed you before. I am sorry, it was foolish for me to have come here, if he finds me he will be led to you as well."

*Raphael felt the emotions running through the thick air. He focused specifically of that of Nadira's... for some reason he could not shake, she intrigued her. A touch of worry, some fear... something was going to happen. Nadira was meeting an... enemy? No, he did not feel anger, hatred, fury... no, not a friend. An aqcuaitance? Perhaps. Raphael gazed at the wall, hoping to learn some more. Death had chased him halfway across the galaxy... Raphael hoped that he would stop here now, so Raphael could have peace. And possibly a friend...*

"Those who appear helpless are not always as they appear," Nadira said. She smiled. "If the Force has led you not to kill me, perhaps it will not object if you join me. The ship I came to this planet on is damaged, but will be repaired quickly when the sandstorm leaves. It is my goal to hunt Adar and regain what..." her voice trailed off.

"Did Adar tell you why he wanted me killed?" she asked.

*The man sat there as Nadira spoke, he soon realized the reason he could not kill her. He had grown to care about other people, not merely himself, perhaps the Force had meant this to happen. The thought bothered him and he was unsure of what to say, he remembered very little and did not like to dwell on the past for it was too painful and yet Nadira was not like the people he had known. He wondered if he should tell her his name, or even answer her question. He was used to talking with bounty hunters and mercenaries and cold-hearted assassins and those were the type of people you did not tell about yourself if you were smart. He thought back and realized he had never known a good person in his entire life, a thought that saddened him slightly. Then he spoke quietly and carefully: "I do not know much, I was Adar's most trusted assassin and was only assigned to certain cases. He only kept me around because I was good at dealing with what he called "stubborn enemies," probably do to my training in the martial arts and Jedi arts. He showed me a holograph photo of you and told me your name and that was all. I did ask, but he merely stated that you were connected to a part of his past that had to be removed." The man looked towards Raphael and then said "That man has done nothing but stare at me since I walked into the door...I have a bad feeling about this-is he with you?"

*The stranger felt uneasy now. What would Nadira tell him? She has a lightsaber with her, did she become a Jedi and if so, this man before him might be a Jedi as well. Also, this man, what if he suspects something? If he discovers the truth, it could mean trouble. The stranger had to speak before Nadira, he had to lie. He knew that if he lied, the man might sense it in part, especially if he was a Jedi also. There was no choice, however. As he reached his hand out to greet the man, he spoke...

"I am Jerod Stryke, an old....acquantance of Nadira's, we met on Coruscant long ago and she recognized me. I was actually quite surprised as I barely recognized her at first."

Nadira nodded, instantly agreeing with what Jerod said. "I recognized him because I have a very good memory... besides, I find it hard to forget a man who saved me from death."

Her eyes met with Jerod's and she hoped he could tell that she would not give away what he had really tried to do.

*Jerod sat there in amazement. He was not sure why Nadira had done this, but he nodded and went along with it. He did not completely lie, he just did not mention the entire truth. "Yes, I was there on Coruscant and she was being attacked and I stopped the assailant from killing her."

He smiled dryly and looked at Raphael and then spoke quickly, hoping to change the subject. "So, what brings you to this dustbowl? You look like a traveler, not from around here. Are you a Jedi as well?"

Probably a question that was better off left unasked, however, Jerod wanted to keep the focus away from him.

*Raphael was humored by this question. Not many had the courage to ask such a thing.*

Raphael: I was a Jedi... once. But I left. I could not believe in that which was false to me. But it is a pleasure to meet a friend of Nadira's.

*There was something in the air now. A false sense of security? Lies? No doubt between Nadira and Stryke. But why? Was it because he was blackmailing her? No, that couldn't be it... Nadira wasn't agitated, worried. Something happened in their past. Raphael did not care much though. Nadira could take care of herself without need of input from him.*

Raphael: I am known by many names... but please, call me Quietstorm.

*Stryke looked at Quietstorm and chuckled to himself. The man knew they were lying, but he was also smart enough not to act like he knew. This Quietstorm obviously was well-traveled, perhaps a hired-gun like Jerod himself. That made Jerod think for a moment-why had he revealed his true name? It was a mistake upon his part, after all, these people were not exactly his friends-he had no friends-at least not for a long time. The thought made him uneasy, as did the silence that accompanied it. He wondered what would happen now.

In through the door walks a short person, probably human, but hard to tell with the large swathing robes he/she is wearing, you can see only eyes, which glisten an emerald green. Taking a quick glance around the person moves to the quietest area possible and motions for a twi'lek serving girl to bring them a drink.

*Raphael stood silently, contemplating this man. There was something... cold and hard about him, like a durasteel hull. But not exactly, as durasteel hulling didn't have emotions, or loss thereof. This man was a hired killer. But he han't killed either of them yet, and Nadira seemed to trust him.*

Raphael: Shall we get something to drink?

*Stryke looked at the newcomer taking note of its location. This individual seemed less threatening than some of the others in the cantina, which gave him more reason to watch him/her. Then he looked at Raphael and smiled. He could sense that Raphael was uneasy about him. He then whispered to Raphael, "You are right to not trust a stranger such as myself, but fear not, I am not here to cause trouble this time. I am afraid I cannot tell you any more than that." Stryke hoped a gesture such as this could prevent trouble from starting here. Then, he continued aloud, "Let us get something to drink." Jerod then motioned for the waitress.

Nadira leaned back, trying to understand what she had just done. She had gone up to the man who tried to kill her and... befriended him? It was impulsive, the kind of thing that got many people killed. And what of Raphael? What made Nadira think she could trust him? It was a question she could not answer.

All the while, her face remained emotionless. The two men she was with could not tell what she was thinking of.

When the waitress came, Nadira said nothing, choosing to forego any drinking.

Archived