Home

Sheilded vs Non-Shielded discussion

K_Kinnison

Originally posted by K_Kinnison:

Non-shielded craft are VERY vunerable to Ions since the have no shields. And from the side are the same size an a X-wing. One thing you might not notice, is that a X-wing without shields, all shield energy to engines, performs about the same as a TIE/Int. With SLIGHTY lesss manuverbilty. And without a "sheild bubble" has the same cross-section as a T/F or T/I

Still the T/I or T/F has a much better chance

to beat a Y/B/Gun than a shieled medium

fighter like the X-Wing. I have seen much

more bad X-Wing pilots than T/I pilots in

the zone. I take a lot of more hits when I

am in a X-Wing compared to T/F or T/I.

I get slaughtered when I have lag in an

X-Wing melee but I can still get acceptable

results in T/F or T/I melees.

Originally posted by ME_Jeldren:

I take a lot of more hits when I

am in a X-Wing compared to T/F or T/I.

I get slaughtered when I have lag in an

X-Wing melee but I can still get acceptable

results in T/F or T/I melees.

so you are saying you are a better T/I pilot then X-wing pilot?

What does that have to do with the shields discussion? The question is, weather or not craft with shields are better then craft without... try to ignore skills, and focus on the craft

Shields themselves are good, however, most shielded craft are less manuverable than unshielded ones. The ability to evade depends on the pilot, not the craft (I evade just as well in a Y-wing as a T/D). If you gave a T/I shields without changing any other aspects it would be better. If anyone has TIE Fighter and has fought Zarrin they know what I meen.

Guest JC_DeadEye

I like non shielded fighters because I'm too lazy to mess with controlling the shields.

Now isn't that the epitome of laziness? biggrin.gif

Guest Darth Massacator

Hmmmm.....I know for a fact in XvsT all shielded craft made you a bigger target, unless you drained your shields. When I played on the Zone when XvsT was at it's peak, I eventually learned to only maintain my shields during the very beginning of a dogfight (flying an X-Wing) with multiple bandits in the melee. That and the "drain factor" was a lot quicker than XWA (shield power drops at a faster rate if you don't keep it at maintenance level).

Now with XWA, I don't think the shielded craft make bigger targets, but I could be wrong. I haven't played multiplayer on the Zone since Luca$Art$ released the final patch, and I found the gameplay to be a little worse at the Zone.

But here I am rambling ....I don't think shields give you an advantage, but I hate to fly without 'em in XWA. But then again, I'm a rebel pilot and I haven't flown an imperial ship since XvsT.

....I can't believe I had to edit "sheilds" to "shields." Grrrrrrrrr.....

[This message has been edited by Darth Massacator (edited February 15, 2001).]

I have to say it comes down to skill. The more skilful you are, the more likely you are to survive in an unshielded. But the ability to expertly manage your resources whilst also fighting is also important, as you don't just set it up and stick to that one setting, you use them to give you and edge in dodgy situations. The Correlian transports are the best example, as you can go for all out fire power and max lasre recharge, go for a general increased on all if your not sure what is around the corner, bump up your shields to max and forget lasers, relying on your turrets becasue your getting swarmed.

All depends on how you prefer. Cliche answer, but the only true answer.

Personally, I take shields, because I like to take on the capitols ships, even if I do get a hammering. Unshielded ships simply cannot take on capitol ships an where near the same degree.

------------------

Nova Squadron, the Elite B-Wing flight group stationed aboard the Nebulon B Frigate 'Oracle', home of the tech library.

'No capitol too large, no corvette too armed. NOVA squadron, for ALL your extermination needs. Our special at the moment - SSDs (See our work with the Iron Fist !) !'

Commander Jon 'DFMD' Adamson - leader of Nova Squadron (B-Wing ID = 'The White Witch')

Originally posted by K_Kinnison:

so you are saying you are a better T/I pilot then X-wing pilot?

What does that have to do with the shields discussion? The question is, weather or not craft with shields are better then craft without... try to ignore skills, and focus on the craft

Well it has something to do with size. I think we can agree that an evasive T/I or T/F pilot

is much harder to hit than a evasive X-Wing pilot. I am talking about same craft melees.

It is possible to kill another T/F with single fire the same thing doesn't work with X-Wings.

Lag has a bigger effect on X-Wing melees when you are unable to land quad hits because

the game is so laggy for you. I sometimes get insane K/D ratios in laggy X-Wing games.

This almost never happens with T/F.

[This message has been edited by ME_Jeldren (edited February 19, 2001).]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Photon

Let me start of by saying WTF Ownz.

Flamer: You do need a better conn, we're not that great friends, but you've provided a good deal of laughs and that's what XWA is all about.

Gremlin, or should I say K_K: I'm not the best, and never will be. ROE_Bigjoe, OSS_Syntax and CRK_Horrendous (just to name a few) could all beat me no problem at their peaks.

XW vs TI: Incompetence aside, in a pure 1v1 the T/I pilot would win with ease. In a 2v2 or more complex situation the X/Ws would have no problem. Therefore the X/W is the superior craft, how likely would a simple 1v1 be. In addition, T/Is get insane host lag...I played a game once with NRN_StormGod, he beat me 11-3 on my host, and i beat him 16-4 on his [approx], that just crazy...

Guest Fondas

Let me add my 2 cents here hotshots ! wink.gif

K_K's original question was "to shield or not to shield" Up_to_something.gif

Eventually it came down to X/W vs T/I. Personally I think that the most preferred combination would be A/W vs T/I. Anyway I'm straying from the subject, so...

Let me state this from the beginning: My vote goes to shielded craft. Since I've never flown online, I cannot give you technical details as KK and Starflame did. Actually I've never played XWA online.

The only time I've played against human opponents were with a LAN connection, EF2000 and Falcon 4.0 but that's a different story.

My main argument is that most of the previous posts are about 1vs1 situations, or playing melees. IMHO, that's not the point !

Star Wars is all about space combat and different tactics deployed by the to sides. Rebel crafts were superior BECAUSE of their shields against the unshielded TIEs, but only because the two sides had different combat doctrines.

Imperials depended heavily on Starships and huge numbers of unshielded crafts, where the Rebels were deploying guerilla tactics. Add the fact that most of the times rebel crafts were equipped with warheads of some kind and you'll get the picture.

To conclude, in real war situations

1 vs 1 : Highly unlikely and rather suicidal. NEVER FLY ALONE while at war. Any real pilot knows that.

2 vs 2 or many to many situations: The shielded crafts have a huge advantage since they can follow many tactics to overcome their enemies, even take some hits without loosing any major instrument.

1 S vs many U This is where the Empire was betting on. Unless your last name is Skywalker or Horn, no matter how good you are, you're going down.

My point is that as with any war, crafts are used in order to meet a specific war related objective, not to show off.

------------------

"No matter how pretty the bait,

a hook is still a hook !"

TZG+7

Guest Rogue15

i believe shields are better and here are my reasons:

You can draw laser energy from them.

You can go faster with them off

You can go head to head without worrying too much about being vaped, since you can draw all shields to the front

You can turn off your shields to increase your speed, and instead of using that energy, you can draw your laser energy to the shields without worrying about losing speed.

You can't be ionized easily.

You can take a few hits before going down (although getting hit STINKS).

You're safe against missiles, sortof.

Archived