Home

My JKIII Downloads won't work, why?

Mandalorian54

I've downloaded some skins and stuff but none of them work, I can't use them. I put the files in the Base folder but they still don't work.

I'm wondering if it's because I don't have winzip, but the files don't appear to be zipped...

Is there any other reason or is my game just hating on me?

I have downloaded win zip before, for free, on my other computers, but I don't have it on this one. The files I downloaded do not end in .PK3 either.

lol, acctually I just noticed they are zip files. They don't say it in their name but when I let my mouse float over top of them it said zip file.

I'm going to download winzip and get back to you on the progress.

Yeah, just get winzip. Pkunzip or pkzip works too, but they're ancient. Winrar can also open zip files, and I'm sure there's dozens of other programs that can, winzip is just the most obvious choice. Last time I checked it was shareware (ditto for Winrar), but you can use it basically forever for free, it still works fine even after your "trial" is over.

Pakscape is for making your own pk3 files, but it should also be a good free alternative if you're only interested in using it with Quake3 engine games and their mods.

Unzip, and put the pk3 files in base.

Remember: Maps & Skins go in /base, MODS (code changes) go in their own seperate folder, and need to be run with either a batch file, shortcut with edited command line or start the game and then "load mod" in the menu.

And if you have problems with the game seeming messed up, the first thing is to remove your mods and see if any of them are conflicting!

Archived