Home

UV Mapping

I read svosh's tutorial, but one thing it didn't cover that I'm trying to figure out is. A took a model lets just call it a dolphin, I removed the top fin on the dolphin, then edited the UVmap to reflect the fact the fin is no longer there, but how does one save that so the game is going to map it like that??? Is it apart of the .mdl file?

the problem is that the when model is compiled it stritches up all the attached verts.

In order to prevent that from happening you need to detach to element poly groups that you laid out in the UV editor. The best way to figure out where the verts are stiching in the UVmap is to decompile the model and load it into gmax or 3ds max and check the UV editor. what I do if this type of thng happends is to take a screenhot of the problem UV and then load the scene and compare the normal one with the gimped one.

3d uses x y z , mapping uses uvw basically your uvw = xyz if you have removed a section on the model the uvw is changed as well why ? Because the uvw is your model split up and steamrolled it must contain the exact same number of verts as your model does.

The reason your skin map is messed up in the game is because if you now decompile your game model and re-import it to gmax open the modifier stack drop a unwrap uvw on it and hit EDIT not planar you will see it’s now stitched up. The reason for this is the model was no split up like I instructed in my uv mapping thread and my modeling thread.

We have to split up our mesh to prevent the stitching that takes place when the model is complied creating a spider web or horror across the uv map we just spent an hour laying out.

Gmax will project your model beautifully on screen but if your model is not segmented the same way the uv is your skin map will look like garbage in game

To Split it up; select polys you want in edmesh > polygon mode and hit > detach with to element checked on. This way it breaks the model apart but still remains part of the same editable mesh.

hope this helps

svösh

Ok, I open up my deformed model in gmax, then try to load the good uvw(glad i saved the uvw file earlier) it loads and my helmet is ok again, but then I try to go to edit poly and it gives me a warning, about how the uvw tree is dependent on topology do i wish to proceed i click hold/yes then i tried yes but both revert my uvw back to the bad one. so i clear it all out reload, apply the good uvw, save the mdl, try to load it back into gmax and its back to the bad uvw. =/

a little bit of progress but when i detached them, now they look odd.

http://rootmonkey.com/photos/album01/chz.jpg

Archived