Home

Am I missing something here?

Guest Jaren Dereth

Guest Jaren Dereth

I just recently got X-Wing Alliance, and I'm already having trouble with a mission. I should say first that I'm no newbie gamer. I've played them all, from the original X-Wing/TIE Fighter games to todays space sims such as Freespace 2. I could beat those games with basic effort, but XWA is sure giving me some trouble

The mission I'm having trouble with is the very first one in the first Rebel tour of duty. The first two sections of the mission are easy, but I keep getting creamed in the third. The ships protecting the transport convoy are too much for my puny Y-Wing to take on, mainly because they can fire in any direction. Anyone have any tips on beating this mission?

------------------

"If all the world's children were laid end to end, some would be in the ocean........"

- Anon

This is a Hum-Dinger episode. FYI your wingman is invincible, so use that to your advantage, first of all make sure that he goes into hyperspace before you do.

Now amke sure before you attack the ATRs that you have a full load of torps (it helps against the transports, not the ATRs)

Now make sure your shields are full up. One ATR will go after you, and the other will go after your wingman, target the one going after you. If you start firing at 1.5km and continue after he tunrs you should be able to get his shileds down far enuf where you can take him out with a pair of torps at close range. YOur shileds wil ahve taken quite a beating, but you will now be free to attack the convoy. And your wingman will keep the other ATR off your back.

Guest Wraith 5

Go back to the command ship (can't remeber the name) and rearm. Use your torps on the ships. If you get close enough they should get though

OK K_K beat me, and that is a better way to do it, unless you want to take it out yourself

[This message has been edited by Wraith 5 (edited April 13, 2000).]

Guest garyah99

I guess we all have our own style. Let your wingman go in first, that's for sure. I just ignore the ATR's and head for the convoy, fire 2 torps at each container until empty, then head back rearm. Dump all power to the engines while you chace the convoy and head to the hyperbouy, recharge while in hyperspace and rearming. Repeat as necessary. Don't dawdle, though, or the convoy will escape.

------------------

Every time I think I've found the end of the rainbow...I trip over it.

Guest Jaren Dereth

Okay, cool, thanks for all the info. This is the first space sim that I've played that takes such a methodical approach to missions, so I was expecting to just fly in and blow stuff up in each mission. Little did I know that you have to think things through in XWA.

My own strategy that worked was to fire off 2 torps at each of the ships pulling the cargo containers, then going back for a reload. Once those are destroyed, the cargo containers have no propulsion and just sit there waiting to be destroyed.

------------------

"If all the world's children were laid end to end, some would be in the ocean........"

- Anon

I've started a new pilot recently, and when playing this mission a few days ago, I noticed my wingman gets lost somewhere between the 3rd and the 4th area (and I have the patch!!! wink.gif). So 2 ATRs are trying to demolish my poor Xwing. That's why I had to try it 4 or 5 times before I beat the mission. I did it by only attacking the small containers, which are easy to destroy when flying at 100 MG through the convoy, evading the Lancers and ATRs. smile.gif

------------------

Go ahead, Imp, make my day.

TZG +6 hrs

I thoguht you were flying a Y-wing in that mission? confused.gif

Well, your wingman does get stick somtime in Region 1...where you destroy the Carrack crusier, he has a hard time dealing with those Gun platforms...once it took him 5 minutes to get to the hyperbouy...thank goodness for invunerablitiy, oterwise he would have been toast.

Guest garyah99

Kinnison's correct, you are flying a Y-Wing, and there are only 3 trg areas, The Tibanna gas platform, the Carrack cruiser, and the much discussed Imperial convoy.

------------------

Every time I think I've found the end of the rainbow...I trip over it.

Guest Thrawn

That's what I love about XWA. You actually have to plan strategies to win missions, not just blow up stuff and kill everything.

------------------

"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Archived