Home

Installation issue that I haven't seen yet

kageindustries

The autorun starts up and when I hit install the autorun window goes away but nothing happens afterward. I ctr alt del then go to processes and notice wowexec running with setup under it. both aren't taking up resources so i wait and after five minutes i stop the process. So then this appears:

System Error

The request to end the selected 16 bit task has timed out. The Win 16 subsystem my be unstable. Press OK to terminate the Win 16 subsystem or Cancel to leave it open.

hitting ok ends the process, cancel keeps it at it doing nothing...

help me...for god's sake

I recently was having this problem too and after doing a little research, fixed it. For me the problem was that ntvdm.exe and/or ntvdmd.dll were corrupt somehow. Since the installers are 16-bit programs, Windows has to use ntvdm.exe to run them. Because those somehow became corrupted, ntvdm.exe would just sit there doing nothing, and eventually Windows will see that nothing is happening and give the error you saw.

The Fix:

Move ntvdm.exe and ntvdmd.dll from the C:\WINDOWS\system32 directory to somewhere else. Then restart your computer. Windows XP should automatically rebuild these files once it sees that they are no longer there. Just in case it doesn't or something goes wrong, you still have the original versions elsewhere. Now try the installer again and it should work!

Hopefully this will fix it for you so you can play some more Grim Fandango!

One question for you, kageindustries. Are you using XP SP2? This is the first time I've installed Grim Fandango since updating to SP2. I've installed the game a few times on this computer before getting SP2 a while back and am wondering if that messed it up. When I was doing some googling on the topic I saw that others noticed the same thing.

yeah, i updated to it a long while back. kind of sucks that an update to the operating system seems to break so many things. so far i've had numerous router problems, online gaming is touch and go with allowing me to play on certain games, and for god sake it won't stop telling me things like, "You have turned your firewall off temperarily. This is not recommended. Turning back on. Killing brain cells." I need release.

By the way, is ntvdm.exe a process capable of being shut down via ctrl+alt+del? cause i murder most of those out of spite for the stuff with wierd names that confuse me

• 5 months later...

Archived