Home

Simultaneously Restless and Exhausted

JofaGuht

Yeah, I thought so.

How is the climate there?; I hope its better than the spring over here, with the unvereable heat, and the constant weather changes. Gee, I miss cold and rainy days.

From the threads you have started, I get that you certainly like arts a lot.

Basically we get our cycle: hot and humid in the summer, cold and damp in the winter.

And I mean HUMID. I went to Mexico in May and it was HOT, but when I made it back to St. Louis it was actually more uncomfortable than Mexico because it's so humid and stuffy.

But around this time of year (it's autumn up here) is when it's great to live in this area. Colorful, cool, dark (i'm not too fond of the sun) and smells incredible.

Arts? Well, I'm a moviefreak. I don't know, I never thought about it. I guess I do like that sort of thing more than some.

• 2 weeks later...

[Yay, I can finally post after 7 days!]

Believe me, things can get much more humid here; we get one month of cold weather, and then the rest of the year is pretty much a hot humid weather, with some storms every three weeks (usually followed by a relieving colder days).

And, the sun is just hateable, and it keeps getting stronger every year; that's pretty much why I love the rain (along other deeper reason, which I'll explain later).

Oh, movies are great, have you ever seen "Un Chien Andalou", by Dalí and Buñuel or "Metropolis" by Fritz Lang, those two are simply masterpieces. Of course, Film Noir is great as well.

I have seen Un Chien Andalou, which I liked quite a bit. I haven't seen Metropolis, although I think the Tivoli, which is a theatre near the city I often visit, does midnight showings of it. I'll have to catch it.

There are some great Film Noirs and some cheaper ones. I've stopped watching most older films recently since my aunt died (who I always watched the noirs with). These days, I'm basically watching only new indie flicks (I've been disappointed with Hollywood as of late).

I've got a ymbd page that has my top twenty films, although I don't update it much and there so many films I love that I don't have room to fit in on it. But give it a look anyhow. I really need to re-fit it and add The 25th hour, The Snake Pit and the first Star Trek movie.

For a minute there, I thought you had miss-spelled http://www.imdb.com :) ; I had no idea that site existed...

Anyway, you've got some good ones there. The Thing, Full Metal Jacket & 2001: a Space Odyssey. Those are great; except 2001, which is simply a masterpiece*

Haven't watched the 25th Hour, I definetely need to do so. If you have the time to, go catch Metropolis, you won't be disappointed (Unless they put the remix version, which has techno music instead of the good ol' piano, playing in the back; last time, I just turned the sound off to watch it).

There is a big problem with movies nowadays, and that is Blockbusters (here, at least). Every single person I know, hates them; and that is because they drive the small video stores out of business, and later on have nothing but action flicks. I used to have a typical video store ran by a family, two blocks away from home, they had any movie you could think of; five years ago, Blockbusters came. The store went out of business, and we had no other choice than to go to BBs, only to get those "I did not get what you said, did you just speak on a foreign language?" look every time you ask for an old or European movie (not even Casablanca!). We now have to buy any movie we have an urge to watch...

Have you watched any Japanese movies?, there is a great director/actor/writer called Kitano, who has made some great Noir movies (at least, that's what I have heard. Read above paragraph to notice why I haven't seen any of his works); and of course, Kurasawa is probably one of the greatest directors.

I know what you mean about not being able to watch Noir movies again, things like that are very tough, I hope you can get over it.

And finally, there is a lot to say about "Un chien Andalou", it is an impressive movie, it would be great to comment on it later.

(you know, I had to write a book review and analyssis (sp?) this year with one of my seldom friends, for school. The review and essay on the metaphors we did were loved by my literature teacher, and I was lucky enough she was a big fan of the Kubrick as well. Unfortunately, my friend liked the book, and hated the movie; which tells you a bit about the kind of people I'm surrounded by :p )

Japanese noir: Seijun Suzuki does it great. If you have the time, watch Pistol Opera, the first half is somewhat uninteresting but it's worth it for the latter half.

I'm a pretty big Japanese horror fan. You saw on my list "Odishon" which is a very deep but very disturbing Japanese horror film by Takashi Miike.

Seriously though; what you need is David Lynch, who is one of my favorite filmmakers. He will guide you through his cinema like one of those magnet-mazes. His films have a Noir quality but are still much deeper than that.

I would start with Lost Highway. WATCH LOST HIGHWAY. You will not be disappointed.

Then I would try Blue Velvet, which is very different but very full. It's got some over-the-top moments but it is still very effective.

You like Un Chien Andalou? Eraserhead is its very absurd sequel. Eraserhead will show you Lynch at his most abstract.

Then, if you can find the time, rent the first season of Twin Peaks. You don't need to watch the second. Then, see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me which, to this day, is my favorite, and for me the most emotionally impacting, film ever. (Do NOT view the film before the first season of the series though).

Anyway, I've got a list of Fav. Filmmakers in an order but not a good one (it's hard to organize them).

1. Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas)

2. David Lynch (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway)

3. Stanley Kubrick (uhh....who needs a filmography for this guy?)

4. Joss Whedon (Buffy/Angel, Firefly/Serenity)

5. Richard Linklater (Before Sunset, Waking Life)

6. Takashi Miike (Odison, Gozu)

Obviously movies are very important to me. I plan to make them someday.

Of course, trying to get a Japanese movie here is worthless...

What I feel about Film Noir, and probably why I like it so much, is that it’s much deeper than Thrillers and Police movies; as it deals with the chracters themselves, rather than with the cases. Take the example of “The Big Sleep”, whose story could not be explained even by Mr. Chandler himself).

I did watch Blue Velvet once, and I liked it quite a lot, I should watch it again some time. And, I’ll look for Lost Highway.

As for directors, I can’t make a list, as I found it difficult to make one without regretting.

Twin Peaks?, would you believe me if I told you that they actually air the show at 2.00 am each Friday, on Universal Channel? And, the DVDs of their seasons are being sold at a music store, so, I guess I could take a look at it.

Though my list would include:

-Andrei Tarkovski [My all time favourite, a very underrated director; had he not been Russian, he would be admired by most]; he directed “Stalker”, a meditative movie, I cannot describe its greatness, if you ever get a chance to watch it, don’t hesitate to do so.

-Luchino Visconti; “Rocco & His Brothers” & “Death in Venice”.

- Stanley Kubrik; well, as you said, why should one bother?, but anyhow, “2001” & “The Clockwork Orange”.

- Ingmar Bergman, “The Seventh Seal”.

Fellini, and Gilliam are great as well, but I must admit, I have only seen a couple of their movies. Although, “Brazil”, what a great film.

Directors I do not like include, Hitchcock, I believe “Psycho” is overrated, and so are many others. Needless to mention, Spielberg…

You plan on being a director?, my uncle stidied Film Directing after giving up a great carrer in playing the violin, and is now a successful theatre director in Europe. Directing is great, though it is not my kind of gig. Sript Writing perhaps…

Twin Peaks?, would you believe me if I told you that they actually air the show at 2.00 am each Friday, on Universal Channel? And, the DVDs of their seasons are being sold at a music store, so, I guess I could take a look at it.

I wouldn't believe you. In the US, it aired in the early nineties, was cancelled and completely forgotten. No syndications and I wouldn't have ever discovered it if it weren't for Lynch's name being on it so I jumped on it right off. The show is eccentric and interesting but the reason to view it is to learn enough about the world to understand the film, which is the amazing part. The fans of the show weren't very satisfied with the movie considering the show was quirkey, fun, and a little deep and mysterious in a very subtle way, while the movie was pure dark, brisk, violent horror but still a beautiful operatic piece of cinema to say the least. I'd jump on it.

Directors I do not like include, Hitchcock, I believe “Psycho” is overrated, and so are many others. Needless to mention, Spielberg…

I like Hitchcock, don't judge his entire work with just "Psycho"(which I think would've been great if it weren't everybody in the world knowing the plot beforehand), he's got a wide variety of stuff.

As for folks like Speilberg, Lucas, Camoran, etc....Not much of a fan either

Sript Writing perhaps…

Ooh. Writer. Yes, I'm there as well. I'm running my own web series right now called "Homoestasis", I'll post a link to it once it I get it going.

But a lot of the factions of filmmaking interest me: Directing, writing, editing, even composing music for film seem like awesome jobs.

I wouldn't believe you [...] I'd jump on it.

Wait, perhaps I expressed myself incorrectly. They used to give re-runs of the show at 2.am each Friday; at least until August when I checked the guide. However, I have seen the DVDs of the show (I think, perhaps I'm mistaken, though) being sold; since my anniversary is coming, I might see if I get it.

I like Hitchcock, don't judge his entire work with just "Psycho"(which I think would've been great if it weren't everybody in the world knowing the plot beforehand), he's got a wide variety of stuff.

True, quite true.Yet, I've seen some of his movies, and they are very good but just not my style.

Ooh. Writer. Yes, I'm there as well. I'm running my own web series right now called "Homoestasis", I'll post a link to it once it I get it going.

But a lot of the factions of filmmaking interest me: Directing, writing, editing, even composing music for film seem like awesome jobs.

I'd love to write a script. Perhaps you have read that fanfic-like crap I once wrote; but that was just written to waste some time, and try something new. If I have the right idea in mind (I usually tend to have it), I can write truly good and symbolic things (of course, that does not mean that I do not tend to be too lazy to write them, so they end up being forgotten). That reminds me, I need to start writing those two stories...

What's that web series thing all about?, seems promising. I'll be waiting for the link.

I think that cinema is a rather underestimated art, most people tend to include it inside the list of arts; but call it derogatively "the seventh art", as if it weren't as important as the rest, and only made it into the list by luck. Besides, not many know how to watch a film...

Well, web series are kind of like TV shows, except the writers don't get paid ;).

Basically we release a teleplay once a week over the net. I think it's such a cool concept, but most people use it for fanfiction (which, of couse, there is nothing wrong with). But Homeostasis is quite an experiment and hopefully will surprise and baffle those of the Buffy Season 8s.....I can't quite explain it yet, you'll have to wait until it premieres (in March, hopefully).

For some people, Film is definitely an art, but I'd still probably consider myself a storyteller instead of an artist no matter how deep into film I go.

I think that cinema is a rather underestimated art, most people tend to include it inside the list of arts; but call it derogatively "the seventh art", as if it weren't as important as the rest, and only made it into the list by luck. Besides, not many know how to watch a film...

Just out of curiosity what are the other "six arts".

Well, that's not as easy to answer as it seems. To begin with, there are many "arts", like applied arts, performing arts,

However, I think that I should center on the Visual and Fine Arts. Unless I am mistaken, the arts are:

-Painting/drawing

-Sculpture

-Music

-Theatre

-Literature

-[i need help with this one; Opera or Poetry, perhaps?]

-Cinematography

Though recently, photography, printmaking, ceramics, and believe it or not even video games, are being considered art forms.

Unfortunately, even though I would love to, I am no expert on the subject, and due to exams I have no time to reaserch on the topic.

---------------

Are Web Series taped/filmed, or just recorded, as a radio serial?

Well, since the concept of art is a very controversial thing lately, I guess a story teller could be taken as an artist...

Speaking of radio serials, does anybody happen to like 'em as much as I do?

No, Web Series are just scripts, "teleplays" is the proper term for television scripts.

At least where I live, ANY radio is music, talk and news and it is known that the radio play is long gone....other than Prairie Home Companion, which is awesome. "Guy Noir" being my favorite character.

Archived