Home

All these views..someone's gotta help

eyet00th

Man, a 'help' thread is getting hundreds of views; obviously still lots of people out there wanting to play this game on their new system (including ME!)

Here's my problems:

Tried installing and running the game off my hard drive and changing the registry, I get no dialogue or sound whatsover during gameplay...just text. Cutscenes are normal.

Tried using the Hyperthreading disable patch..Cutscenes and sound are completely normal; No Text!!

Or Lordy Lordy, if only I could get this game to work with BOTH Text AND Sound, I would be one happy camper.

Yes, I've already lowered my sound card to 'basic' and my colors to '16 bit'

What else can I do?

Oh, I can't get the patch to install when I have the game running off my hard drive, either. Is that why there's no sound? How do I install the patch? It says 'Grim Is not installed from Original CD'.

Missing sound files are usually down to downloading a "ripped copy" of a game, where additional files which aren't vital to the game's functioning are removed. I'm not accusing you of this, but be aware of that. :)

If that isn't the problem, try using benny's launching tool with a fresh installation of the game, and then patch the game and copy the files to the hard drive via the utility. If it still fails, I'm really not sure. Do the sound files play if you try using a completely unmodified fresh installation of the game, running from CDs?

My game is an original copy. I tried the launching tool, I get perfect sound, but there's no Menu screen or text during gameplay. That makes it very tough to make dialogue choices.

I figured out the problem about re-installing the patch, so now I have the game 'properly' installed on hard drive, and patched. Sometimes there are sound effects for awhile, but never any spoken dialogue. This game just isn't the same whithout hearing Manny's voice.

Archived